Swanson1
3 Argentium

Re: Ask the Expert: Mind the Gap - A Technical Discussion on the Journey to the Third Platform

Hello Paulamv,

There's been a great deal of materials created to train the EMC field & partners on Storage Resource Management Suite and ViPR.   Please send me a private message with your email address and I'll have someone reach out to you with materials you can leverage.

Paula

0 Kudos
JamieD73
2 Iron

Re: Ask the Expert: Mind the Gap - A Technical Discussion on the Journey to the Third Platform

During our live Mind the Gap event last week we had some great product questions I wanted to share within this discussion.  Here is one that was asked to our experts:  Can ViPR be introduced in an existing cloud and which cloud vendors are currently supported? 

0 Kudos
eghamilton
2 Bronze

Yes! ViPR can be easily introduced into an existing private cloud environment. One of the really compelling aspects of ViPR is that it is an open and extenible platform. EMC ViPR integrates out-of-the-box (of course, there is no actual "box") with VMware, OpenStack and Microsoft Hyper-V cloud stacks. In addition, ViPR also features an open API so customers can integrate ViPR with other data center operations and/or management tools.

0 Kudos
JamieD73
2 Iron

Thank you George.  Another question we had during the discussion last week was can you use ViPR to migrate between arrays - for example VPLEX?  Can one of our experts elaborate on that?

0 Kudos
eghamilton
2 Bronze

One of the new capabilities that was launched with ViPR 1.1 is the new HDFS data service. With the HDFS data service, companies can use their existing file storage as a Big Data repository. They can point existing Pig and Hive queries to ViPR managed data sources, rather than having to move data from prinary storage to a Hadoop cluster. As the product markeitng guy for ViPR data services, I think this is pretty cool but would love to hear from the community. What do you think? How do you see using this capability? What value do you think this would bring to your company or to your customers? For a little background, check out this white board video featurng our very own Andy Waterhouse.

0 Kudos
CindyGoodell
1 Copper

ViPR works with VPLEX to easily and non-distruptively migrate data between arrays.

For example, when a new storage array is brought into an infrastructure you can use the ViPR interface to instruct VPLEX to discover the new storage array. VPLEX adds the storage array as part of the VPLEX storage pool. At the same time, ViPR discovers the storage for it's own virtual pool of storage resources.  ViPR instructs VPLEX to provision the new array and create mirrored pairs from the old array. VPLEX mirrors the application data from the old array to the new array and immediately, applications are able to access the appliation data on the new array, non-disruptively and without any special steps for remediation or reconfiguration. In fact, this is so quick and painless, that the work can be conducted non-disruptively during normal business hours on production workloads.  Once the mirror process is complete and the new array has a consistent copy of the data, the mirror links to the old array can be broken and the array can be taken off line and removed from the data center.  All of this is conducted in just a few clicks from the ViPR interface.  And all of the movement of data is conducted non-disruptively with minimal effort by VPLEX.

0 Kudos
JamieD73
2 Iron

Thank you Cindy.  This is some great information!

We received a question during our chat that asked "Can Storage Resource Management Suite do analytics on NetApp"?  Can it?

0 Kudos
CindyGoodell
1 Copper

We have a great new site - the ViPR Community - which can be found at community.emc.com/community/edn/vipr#developer.  It is a central place to learn about how ViPR can help you get the most of your storage investments, access developer resources and participate in technical discussions.  Another great feature you will find on this site is a Free ViPR Software Download!  It will let you try ViPR software at no charge for test and development environments.   Try it out and let us know what you think.

0 Kudos
SDavisDolan
1 Copper

It sure can.  In fact that is, to my group, one of the biggest advantages of SRMS.  In our enviorment we currently have NetApp (both 7 and C mode) as well as Isilon, ViPR, EMC VNX, EMC NX, and NS.  All of them are now visable in one interface, and in the case of some reports, I am even able to see my VMware enviorment, and how it interacts with each system in one page.  No more jumping to 4-6 different tools just to look at 1 server and how it is using storage.

0 Kudos
Swanson1
3 Argentium

Hello SDavidDolan,

What is your favorite report/dashboard and why?   I'm sure other customers would appreciate your perspective.

Thanks,

Paula

0 Kudos