Highlighted
7 Thorium

Re: Ask the Expert: NetWorker Module for Microsoft (NMM) - Configurations, Best Practices and Solutions

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your answers.  Comments:

1) All clear.

2) Yes, this is multihomed environment an backup goes over VLAN which is backend and it is isolated (so backend address can't communicate any kind of front-end address).  Client definition is based on back-end FQDN, storage node is defined as storage node name on back-end (FQDN) and backup server interface is based on server name on back-end FQDN address.

3) -b sounds interesting - will have to test it.

4), 5), 6), 7) - clear.

Highlighted
4 Germanium

Re: Ask the Expert: NetWorker Module for Microsoft (NMM) - Configurations, Best Practices and Solutions

Hi Hrvoje Crvelin,

About point 3 (long time to browse with NMSQL GUI), there is a fix released very recently that maybe you would like to ask support to provide it to you. Reference number is NW161065.

Thank you,

Carlos

7 Thorium

Thanks Carlos.  I was actually given this one before I left for vacation so I need to test it too.  Thnx!

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Carlos, first of all, thanks for this opportunity! I bumped into this article today.

I would like to know the best settings in NetWorker when need to perform backups of Exchange 2007. Here are some details.

-It's a 2 node cluster running Windows 2008R2 (virtual)

-All active 30 SG's on 1 node, passive ones on the other (CRR)

-Capacity of all SG's combined: 5TB

-Config checker runs clean

-NetWorker 8.1.1.6

-NMM 3.0SP1

-Backup to DD4500 via Boost

The NMM guide talks about splitting up the backup in 10 SG's at a time. This means that I would have to create 3 groups and schedule them in a correct order. All because of the consistency check that runs in parallel which is eating up resources. I'm looking for a good way to run this in 1 group and complete the backup within a standard backup window. I know this can be achieved with IO throttling but I'm looking for some more detail. What would you advise? What would your steps be in configuring this?

Like to hear your thoughts on this.

Best regards,

-Nick

Highlighted
4 Germanium

Hello Nick

Thank you for posting your questions here,

When it comes down to configurations, there are general guidelines or best practices, but every environment is different.
In this case, I would like to know if you are running consistency check during the backups or not? As this would change my recommendations.

In any case, more than 10SG at the same time is not a good practice as you can end up with Exchange server being overloaded and even hanging, which will have impact in production.

Thank you,

Carlos

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Carlos,

Yes, consistency check will have to be run.

-Nick

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Carlos, what would your recommendations be if I run the consistency check?

-Exchange 2007

-It's a 2 node cluster running Windows 2008R2 (virtual)

-All active 30 SG's on 1 node, passive ones on the other (CRR)

-Capacity of all SG's combined: 5TB

-Config checker runs clean

-NetWorker 8.1.1.6

-NMM 3.0SP1

-Backup to DD4500 via Boost

Thanks!

-Nick

Highlighted
4 Germanium

Hello Nick

In this case I don't see any other option but to create 3 groups to backup 10 SG on each group.

Being a CCR environment, it's up to the customer to backup the passive or the active DB's but, as consistency check is required, I would recommend to backup the passive DB's to avoid any performance issue on the active node.

I would also recommend to set some throttling to have less impact on the passive node, and for that reason I would suggest to set the following variables in the Application Information field (if creating the client manually) or set the following options (if using client wizard):

NSR_ESE_UTIL_SEQUENTIAL=True

NSR_ESE_UTIL_THROTTLE=True

NSR_ESE_THROTTLE_IOS=100

NSR_ESE_THROTTLE_DURATION=1000

With these settings we will achieve the following:

Consistency check will run in sequentially, to avoid any overhead on the node where the consistency check will run, but will increase the time for the consistency check completion, so will also increase the duration of the backup. This all depends on the HW resources on the Exchange server.

We will use throttling, to accelerate the consistency check, running 100 I/Os between pauses, and having pauses of 1 second.

If the Exchange server is very powerful you can play around with the values, and even setting consistency check to run in parallel instead of sequentially.

Thank you,

Carlos

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Carlos Rojas, thanks! This is helpful.

-Nick

Highlighted
4 Germanium

Unable to configure NMM clients using NMC client Wizard

Environment:

NetWorker Module for Microsoft (NMM)

Exchange Server

Hyper-V Server

SharePoint Server

SQL Server

Description:

When using NMC Client Wizard to create NMM clients, the wizard is not showing any valid savesets for the one or more MS application.

In some cases, wizard is not displaying even the File System savesets.

This could be because NMM silent Installation method was used to install NMM or because of a failure in registering the Remote Agent components of NMM.

Resolution:

First make sure all writers information is correctly populated.

To do it so run:

vssclupdate

Then please see below how to manually register the Remote Agent for NMM for all Microsoft applications and File System:

To register MS Exchange Server Remote Agent run on the Exchange server:

nsrnmmexchra -i

To register MS Hyper-V Server Remote Agent run on the Hyper-V server:

nsrnmmhypervra -I

To register MS SharePoint Server Remote Agent run on the SharePoint server:

nsrnmmspra -i

To register MS SQL Server Remote Agent run on the SQL server:

nsrnmsqlra -i

This is should fix the problem, however I would recommend to first unregister the RA and then register it again.

To unregister MS Exchange Server Remote Agent run on the Exchange server:

nsrnmmexchra -u

To unregister MS Hyper-V Server Remote Agent run on the Hyper-V server:

nsrnmmhypervra -u

To unregister MS SharePoint Server Remote Agent run on the SharePoint server:

nsrnmmspra -u

To unregister MS SQL Server Remote Agent run on the SQL server:

nsrnmsqlra -u

Then register it again with the same commands showed above (with -i option).

If the problem would be with the File System savesets, run the following commands:

nsrfsra -u (to unregister it)

Then
nsrfsra -i (to register it).

If this doesn't solve the problem it could be related to name resolution, especially in clusters.

Reference:

EMC Support Solution
Number: 000185178