NickVanPijlen
1 Nickel

Re: Ask the Expert: NetWorker Module for Microsoft (NMM) - Configurations, Best Practices and Solutions

Hi Carlos, what would your recommendations be if I run the consistency check?

-Exchange 2007

-It's a 2 node cluster running Windows 2008R2 (virtual)

-All active 30 SG's on 1 node, passive ones on the other (CRR)

-Capacity of all SG's combined: 5TB

-Config checker runs clean

-NetWorker 8.1.1.6

-NMM 3.0SP1

-Backup to DD4500 via Boost

Thanks!

-Nick

0 Kudos
CarlosRojas
4 Germanium

Re: Ask the Expert: NetWorker Module for Microsoft (NMM) - Configurations, Best Practices and Solutions

Hi Hrvoje Crvelin,

About point 3 (long time to browse with NMSQL GUI), there is a fix released very recently that maybe you would like to ask support to provide it to you. Reference number is NW161065.

Thank you,

Carlos

0 Kudos
ble1
6 Indium

Thanks Carlos.  I was actually given this one before I left for vacation so I need to test it too.  Thnx!

0 Kudos
CarlosRojas
4 Germanium

Hello Nick

In this case I don't see any other option but to create 3 groups to backup 10 SG on each group.

Being a CCR environment, it's up to the customer to backup the passive or the active DB's but, as consistency check is required, I would recommend to backup the passive DB's to avoid any performance issue on the active node.

I would also recommend to set some throttling to have less impact on the passive node, and for that reason I would suggest to set the following variables in the Application Information field (if creating the client manually) or set the following options (if using client wizard):

NSR_ESE_UTIL_SEQUENTIAL=True

NSR_ESE_UTIL_THROTTLE=True

NSR_ESE_THROTTLE_IOS=100

NSR_ESE_THROTTLE_DURATION=1000

With these settings we will achieve the following:

Consistency check will run in sequentially, to avoid any overhead on the node where the consistency check will run, but will increase the time for the consistency check completion, so will also increase the duration of the backup. This all depends on the HW resources on the Exchange server.

We will use throttling, to accelerate the consistency check, running 100 I/Os between pauses, and having pauses of 1 second.

If the Exchange server is very powerful you can play around with the values, and even setting consistency check to run in parallel instead of sequentially.

Thank you,

Carlos

0 Kudos
NickVanPijlen
1 Nickel

Hi Carlos Rojas, thanks! This is helpful.

-Nick

0 Kudos
chandlerbing1
1 Nickel

Hi Carlos, we have some MSSQL 2008 DBs running Simple Recovery Mode.  Does Networker support differential backups for this recovery type?  I don't want to run a Full Backup every day.  If yes, what type of schedule can i use? Like Fri - Full  Sat - L2 Sun - L3 M -L4 Tue - L3 Wed - L4 Thur L5.

0 Kudos
RobertoAraujo1
3 Cadmium

This discussion has ended. Thanks to those who've participated, but special thanks for our expert who took the time to answer everyones's questions.

Roberto

0 Kudos
CarlosRojas
4 Germanium

Hi chandlerbing

If DB is set to recovery model simple, only full backups are supported.

Thank you,

Carlos

0 Kudos
Hon2
1 Nickel

Hi Carlos,

I have a question about HyperV on windows 2008 backing up with NMM3.0.1

I got a customer when 1 CSV VM save set fails, all the other CSV VM save sets backup fail as well and customer is upset about this.

There is nowhere in nmm log / daemon log could point out which particular VM save set(s) causing this failure.

He need to exam every VM in that HyperV host to find out which VM broken.

Is it by design that 1 VM saveset backup failure causing the other ones fail as well ? If so, is there anyway to find out which VM save set causing this failure ?

Thanks for your advise in advance.

Regards,

Hon

0 Kudos
CarlosRojas
4 Germanium

Hello @Hon,

Please note that the ATE event already finished, so I would like to invite you to post in the NetWorker support forum:

https://community.emc.com/community/support/networker

If you use the "top saveset", such as APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Hyper-V then there is no granularity enough in terms of savegrp reporting that would point to the specific VM that is failing, so you can specify the savesets per each VM, and in that case you will see which VM is failing.

Anyway, once you identify the VM failing, what is the cause for the failure? Did you manage to solve that issue? Is always the same VM or is the failure random?

Also please note that NW 8.2+NMM 8.2 is already available, and this include many improvements, in particular savegrp reporting is improved a lot in this kind of cases where top saveset is used.

Thank you,

Carlos

0 Kudos