Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2014 14:00

Ask the Expert: Redefining Entry Level Storage

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: Redefining Video Surveillance Storage from Edge to Core

Ask The Expert: Redefine with EMC Data Protection

https://community.emc.com/thread/192800

Welcome to this EMC Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This ATE session will discuss how EMC is redefining entry level storage with the simple, efficient, protected VNXe.

Midmarket customers struggle with the challenges driven by unrelenting data growth:

•             Managing complexity of storage and data protection

•             Controlling costs of infrastructure

•             Maintaining application performance and ensuring data protection SLAs

The new VNXe3200 offers enterprise-class functionality at entry level prices for resource constrained IT departments across the world.

Our experts are standing by to cover all this and much more over the next 2 weeks.  Join the conversation!

Your Hosts:

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=10336&size=350

Jamin Solensky is a EMSD VNX BU Corporate Systems Engineering. Since joining the VNX CSE team in 2013, he has worked with the Next-Generation VNX and VNXe Series storage systems, with a focus on VNXe. He has also worked on related products including EMC Cloud Tiering Appliance and VNX Monitoring and Reporting. Jamin's experience is mostly on VNX, VNXe, CTA and M&R.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=10309&size=350

Charles Reed II  is a EMSD VNX BU Corporate Systems Engineering. Charles joined EMC back in 2011 in the VNX Corporate Systems Engineering team. As part of this team, he has been working on a variety of different releases for the VNX and VNXe Series and Unisphere Central (formerly Unisphere Remote).

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=3032&size=350

Brian Henderson works on VNX Product Marketing at EMC. He is a Systems Engineer who formely worked in Microsoft solutions, launched AppSync, and is currently working in VNX Product Marketing with a focus on Microsoft, Data Protection, and VNXe.

This discussion will take place May 12 - 23. Get ready by following this page to receive updates in your activity stream or through email.

Share this event on Twitter:

>> Join the next Ask the Expert: Redefining Entry Level Storage http://bit.ly/1ury6MB 5/12 - 5/23 #EMCATE <<

7 Posts

May 15th, 2014 11:00

Only Reason I can see right now for choosing a 5200 over 3200 Is if you need remote replication or you have the need for 10GB Fiber SFP connectivity. Were weighing out the options right now. I will say though the 3200 really shines by the fact it comes with 24GB of cache out the gate.

25 Posts

May 15th, 2014 11:00

The 3200 has 24GB of cache per SP, so a total of 48GB cache.  With this and new SandyBridge processors and MCx multicore it is a really fast system.  Remote replication and optical connectivity will be added in future releases and the 50 drive limit will also be removed.

5.7K Posts

May 15th, 2014 12:00

Yup

I've been playing with it for a while and I love that thing! And yes, 2 x 24GB of RAM is amazing.

May 15th, 2014 14:00

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.  I have spoken to many customers and partners since the VNXe2 announcement and here is what they are asking me as a Solution Engineer.

1. Why is optical 10GB not a choice instead of Base-T for the initial module? (I know the SLIC upgrade has been addressed).

2.  Why so limited on drive options?  Many customer want the 900GB 10k drives and they would like to see the 400GB eMLC drives as well.

3.  Why a 12 disk DAE again and not the 15 disk DAE?  The 15 disk DAE lends better to best practice drive count math and EMC could standardize on a DAE size across the whole VNX family.

I will post more questions as partners/customers ask me.

Regards,

Chris

25 Posts

May 15th, 2014 19:00

Hi Chris,

Behind every product and business decision there is a rigorous process and a rationale which we are not going to completely reveal here on a public forum.  Many decisions we make are due to new features not being "EMC-class" under test conditions.  For some areas we struggled with technical stability, for some areas we struggled with parts costs which would result in a more expensive product than we hoped for, and for some there were hardware design incompatibilities.

What we just did with this system - a fully unified, FAST capable system with MCx that fits into 2U and starts under $12K is pretty impressive and we know we have to add optical, more drives, and more functionality.  These software-upgrade features are not far off, and will not require hardware changes to their base systems.    By the way, I believe 900GB 10K's drives have been successfully RPQ'ed already.

I just noticed you are EMC - feel free to reach out to me directly (email or phone) or let me know if I can talk to your team

Brian Henderson

VNXe Product Marketing

May 15th, 2014 19:00

Hi ALL,

I want to know performance report about VNXe3200 and application solution report too. Many customer intersted in VDI envrionment and File server consolidation. I wish to support VNXe3200 with VNXSizer.

Do you konw the release schedule? Or if you have other good information, please le me know.

28 Posts

May 19th, 2014 14:00

The VSPEX page includes additional information for VDI solutions. We have tested up to 500 virtual desktops running on the VNXe3200 system in the VSPEX program. The link below opens one of the many Design Guides available from the VSPEX Resources page.

EMC VSPEX End-User Computing Enabled by EMC VNXe3200 and EMC Powered Backup Design Guide

32 Posts

May 23rd, 2014 15:00

Are things such as recommended raid configs same as Vnx (R5 4+1/8+1, etc. ) and when pools are expanded do they rebalance like. Vnx. As for the FC is it alua LUNs? Or is there some method of failover that occurs similar to say the iscsi or share server that fails over to the other sp?

May 26th, 2014 21:00

Hi Chartes,

Thank you for your information. I've read and understood about VSPEX documention.
And do you know VNXSizer update schedule added VNXe3200?

28 Posts

May 27th, 2014 07:00

The VNXe3200 does have similar recommended RAID configurations as VNX systems. All the RAID configurations are listed in the FAST Suite white paper (link provided below). During a storage pool expansion, a rebalance does occur as well, which is also mentioned in the FAST Suite white paper.

Introduction to the EMC VNXe3200 FAST Suite white paper

In the VNXe3200, block-level storage resources (LUNs and VMware VMFS datastores) using FC or iSCSI are leveraging ALUA for failover. NAS Servers still use a server-based failover model. More information can be found in the High Availability white paper (link provided below).

EMC VNXe3200 High Availability white paper

May 27th, 2014 09:00

This Ask the Expert event has ended. Thanks to our experts and those who participated in the discussion!

Just so you know, here are a few ATE events going on now and next week. Join us or share them on Twitter:

Ask the Expert: Reducing problem resolution time – What logs do I need? (Live now)

Ask the Expert: D2 Configuration options, Matrix selection & Plugin Development (Live now)

Ask the Expert: Advanced Snapshots on VNX (Live now)

Cheers!

28 Posts

May 27th, 2014 12:00

The next release of VNXSizer will include support for the VNXe3200 and should be available in Q3.

5.7K Posts

May 28th, 2014 00:00

But pool-only! No dedicated RAID Groups.

No Events found!