reedic
6 Indium

Re: Re: Ask the Expert: Redefining Entry Level Storage

The VNXe3200 will have a limit enforced within the ordering system (CXP/DXP) that will only allow you to order a DPE and an optional DAE. The drive count limit could be 24 (with a 12-drive DPE and DAE), 50 (with a 25-drive DPE and DAE), or 37 (with the DPE and DAE in any combination of 12-drive and 25-drive configuration). This restriction will be lifted within 90-120 days of the VNXe3200 initial release and customers are able to submit a special request (called an RPQ) for support up to the maximum 150 drive limit. Historically, 98% of all VNXe systems sold have shipped with less than 50 drives.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

wasn't that because no more drives were supported in the first place? I really see great potential for this baby!

0 Kudos
solenj
1 Copper

RRR,

Is that question in response to Charles' 98% comment? The VNXe3100 and VNXe3150 both support up to 100 drives in a dual SP configuration (50 for single SP) and the VNXe3300 supports up to 150 drives.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Re: Ask the Expert: Redefining Entry Level Storage

What is the reason for the 3200 to only support Base-T 10G and not have support for optical ports like the Bigger VNX's and the 3300. ?

0 Kudos
reedic
6 Indium

VNXe models have always included embedded Base-T ports in the Storage Processors. The only way for VNXe systems to support optical ports would be through the use of an I/O module. VNXe3300 systems can use full-size SLICs similar to the VNX systems, whereas the VNXe3100, VNXe3150, and VNXe3200 systems can only use the half-size eSLICs. Currently, the I/O module with optical ports is only available in a full-size SLIC. At this point in time, we are planning to support the optical eSLIC in a future release.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Well, maybe customers going over 50 also grow to over 100? We sell quite a few 5200s, simply because customers want these and the 3200 will be perfect for most of them.

0 Kudos
Jon_hope
1 Nickel

Only Reason I can see right now for choosing a 5200 over 3200 Is if you need remote replication or you have the need for 10GB Fiber SFP connectivity. Were weighing out the options right now. I will say though the 3200 really shines by the fact it comes with 24GB of cache out the gate.

8 Krypton

The 3200 has 24GB of cache per SP, so a total of 48GB cache.  With this and new SandyBridge processors and MCx multicore it is a really fast system.  Remote replication and optical connectivity will be added in future releases and the 50 drive limit will also be removed.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Yup

I've been playing with it for a while and I love that thing! And yes, 2 x 24GB of RAM is amazing.

0 Kudos
CDiMartino1
1 Nickel

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.  I have spoken to many customers and partners since the VNXe2 announcement and here is what they are asking me as a Solution Engineer.

1. Why is optical 10GB not a choice instead of Base-T for the initial module? (I know the SLIC upgrade has been addressed).

2.  Why so limited on drive options?  Many customer want the 900GB 10k drives and they would like to see the 400GB eMLC drives as well.

3.  Why a 12 disk DAE again and not the 15 disk DAE?  The 15 disk DAE lends better to best practice drive count math and EMC could standardize on a DAE size across the whole VNX family.

I will post more questions as partners/customers ask me.

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos