atower
1 Nickel

Re: Ask the Expert: Using EMC Online Support proactive services and company administration

Thank you for the additional input on the FF session handling!  I'll pass this along to our team. 

Regarding the Subscribenet downloads, yes - this is something that we are still actively working on.  There are only certain SW products which are currently provided through Subscribenet versus directly through the Downloads page within support.emc.com, and we're working with those product teams now to find a more streamlined approach.

Thanks for the feedback!

0 Kudos
cilnj
1 Copper

Re: Ask the Expert: Using EMC Online Support proactive services and company administration

Can an EMC employee (i.e. SAM) administer a site?  i.e. Change raise or demote a contact to an administrator?

0 Kudos
atower
1 Nickel

Yes, an EMC employee can administer a site and manage contacts, including modifying roles of a contact. Regarding administrator privileges, an EMC employee has the ability to demote an administrator, but not grant administrator privileges. If you'd like to request the administrator privilege, please send a message to support@emc.com<mailto:support@emc.com>. We do have plans on building an approval process that will allow current administrators to grant the administrator privilege.

0 Kudos
cilnj
1 Copper

Thanks Amy.  just to clarify...do I have adminstrator privleges by default?  Or, do I have to request administrative privleges so that I can add contacts to a site?

0 Kudos
emerhof
1 Nickel

Hi Amy. One of the questions I am hearing is about setting up alternate contacts.  Can the administrator set up any number of alternate contacts, or is there a maximum?

0 Kudos
hiroyTakeuchi
1 Nickel

Hi Amy,

Can we search SRs by keyword (eg. certain OS names, program names, error messages, etc.) in Online Support?

If a SR turned out non-EMC issue but other OS problem and was closed, support personnel wouldn't write KB article about it because it had no relation with EMC product. In such a situation, SR keyword-search would help finding vendor which should be involved, troubleshooting methods and/or fixes which should be applied from SRs which were handled in the past.

0 Kudos
atower
1 Nickel

All EMC Customer Service/Technical Support employees have the administrator privilege allowing them to manage contacts and sites.

As an added tip - for customers: A quick way to tell if you are an administrator of your company is to navigate to the company administration tool (support.emc.com > Service Center > View and Manage Company Administration)  If you are an administrator of your company, you will see the word “Administration” above the My Profile tab. If you do not see this, that means you have not been given this privilege, and will need to request it by sending a message to support@emc.com

Once you are ready, we also have a detailed user guide to help you navigate through the company administration tool!

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-29284 

0 Kudos
atower
1 Nickel

Hi, currently we do not offer the capability to search historical Service Requests, however this is on our roadmap.  However, if there is any documentation that exists - KB articles, White Papers, troubleshooting guides, etc - that document known issues with vendor products or interoperability, they would be available to you through either the Support by Product pages or through Search.  Hope that helps!  Thanks!

0 Kudos
atower
1 Nickel

Hi Eric, I believe you may be referring to the “dial home – alternate” role. We do recommend a maximum of 3 per site. Also, below you will find the full list of roles that an administrator can choose from to set up a contact as. These definitions will also display when using the change role function.

Relationship Roles

·         Authorized Contact – Enables service request management functionality as well as access to software downloads if the contact is Online Support (Web) enabled.

·         Third Party Contact - For contacts such as consultants, enables service request management functionality and software downloads access on your organization’s behalf if the contact is Online Support (Web) enabled.

Dial Home Roles

·         Dial Home - Primary – First point of contact for EMC relating to product dial home service requests. (1 per site, required)

·         Dial Home - 24 Hour Contact - 24x7 [24/7] or off-hour contact for product dial home service requests used if the Dial Home Primary can’t be reached.  (1 per site, optional)

·         Dial Home - Alternate Contact - Secondary contact(s) for product dial home service requests used if Dial Home - Primary can’t be reached. (maximum 3 recommended)

0 Kudos
emerhof
1 Nickel

Yes I was referring to the "Dial Home - Alternate" role...thanks for the info. In follow-up, when changing a role, why are some roles not available for selection? 

0 Kudos