Imran_Yusubov
4 Beryllium

Re: Ask the Expert: What's New in EMC Documentum 7.1?

I mean exactly what you say.

They said extract the private key from the smart card and put it in a JKS keystore on the clients machine.*****. In this case, the purpose looses its meaning. What the token is for? Anyone who can has access to the machine can go to the repository without it. Even, he can copy the keystore including the ucf.config.xml which has the password, and access it from a different host too..

Finally, I realized that even if it works, it is inappropriate to our original goal.

The worst is that, I have wasted several days because of the poor documentatin. Does EMC read them before they are published?

0 Kudos
PanfilovAB
4 Beryllium

Re: Re: Ask the Expert: What's New in EMC Documentum 7.1?

Finally, I realized that even if it works, it is inappropriate to our original goal.

What is the problem to put your application server behind Apache Httpd and write in httpd.conf something like:

SSLVerifyClient require

<LocationMatch "/com/documentum/ucf/server/(transport/impl/(GAIRConnector|InitGAIRConnector|RemoteUnavailability)|notification/impl/Notification)|/wdk/(system/ucfinit\.jar|fileselector/fileSelector\.jar|contentXfer/)">

SSLVerifyClient none

</LocationMatch>

Does EMC read them before they are published?

Unfortunately, most of Documentum "features" are just formally declared rather than really work, and it's not about documentation, it's about standards, best practices and common sense.

0 Kudos
Imran_Yusubov
4 Beryllium

Re: Re: Ask the Expert: What's New in EMC Documentum 7.1?

If that was one problem regarding to UCF, something could have been done. But, UCF issues are countless. Therefore, I have decided to discontinue using UCF at all. Http content transfer will help us for a while.

0 Kudos
fainemr
4 Beryllium

@PanfilovAB, trust me, it happens.  Don't make the mistake of thinking that because you wouldn't do it, others would also not do it.  I wish you were correct, however, my experience has taught me otherwise.   I don't want to go on record with any specific cases but I see consultants called in to do things that our staff already clearly understands how to do.  In fact, we have a consultant coming in to build a production system later this year, and for a very well documented process (from another vendor).  Often times it is part of some sort of agreement that is negotiated at the time of procurement, for either the product or a support contract, and management feels like if they don't use it they're throwing away money.  I'm just speculating but I suspect it is because they have deadlines for projects and they don't want to take the chance that the on-site team will have trouble meeting the deadline so they include the consultant as a failsafe, then always end up using the failsafe even when they don't need it.

0 Kudos
PanfilovAB
4 Beryllium

Don't make the mistake of thinking that because you wouldn't do it, others would also not do it.  I wish you were correct, however, my experience has taught me otherwise. ...

Mark, all you had written is, actually, means that your customer either doesn't trust you (your team) or does not think you are qualified enough (I don't want to put doubt on your skills, it's just about how I read that you had written). But I'm talking about another things. Let's give a few examples.

10 of 10 customers face problems with LDAP (though kerberos is more painful) setup, the problems are really different, some of them are:

1. SSL is a challenge
  2. Documentum does not support long distinguished names
  3. it's not possible to setup account name transformations
  4. it's not obvious how to synchronize existing inline users with ldap or move users from one domain to another
  5. etc, etc, etc

but all LDAP related problems have the only one root cause - LDAP integration is not properly documented, so, if customer has a strong desire to use LDAP as user source customer need to hire someone (PS, partner, employee, freelancer, etc).

Performance and troubleshooting activities have the same problem: no documentation, no best practices, want to solve problem - hire someone.

0 Kudos
audouina
2 Bronze

Hi PanfilovAB,

we are able to give our opinion on the documentation here : IIG Tech Pubs Documentation Survey

Enjoy it

0 Kudos
PanfilovAB
4 Beryllium

we are able to give our opinion on the documentation here

I already wrote my opinion about that survey: it's author is not familiar with Pigeonhole principle, 6 questions - 5 options:

15-03-2014 12-44-54 AM.png

Moreover, it's incorrect to force select different options.

0 Kudos
AmineRIAD
2 Bronze

Hello everyone,

I need a windows VMware containing Documentum content server 7.1

could you please send me the link ?

Thank you very much in advance,

Best regards,

Amine

0 Kudos
RobertoAraujo1
4 Tellurium

Hi Amine RIAD,

This Ask the Expert discussion is finished.

Those who took part of this disccussion, including the SMEs, may answer you, but it's not guaranteed. I would advice that additionally to this you could post this question on the Documentum community in hopes to receive a reply from the community there.

Good luck!

Roberto

0 Kudos
AmineRIAD
2 Bronze

Done.

Thank you very much Roberto for your help.

have a nice day.

0 Kudos