audouina
1 Nickel

Re: Ask the Expert: What's New in EMC Documentum 7.1?

Hi PanfilovAB,

we are able to give our opinion on the documentation here : IIG Tech Pubs Documentation Survey

Enjoy it

0 Kudos
PanfilovAB
4 Germanium

we are able to give our opinion on the documentation here

I already wrote my opinion about that survey: it's author is not familiar with Pigeonhole principle, 6 questions - 5 options:

15-03-2014 12-44-54 AM.png

Moreover, it's incorrect to force select different options.

0 Kudos
rstein
2 Iron

Hi Julien Fontaine, we tried but didn't got an answer for this question through our commercial channel, that's why I asked here.

The CTS 7.1 documentation now have different installers for ADTS, MTS and AVTS. Not for DTS.

This may be more of a commercial question, but as the installers are different in the 7.1 release and DTS is not mentioned in the documentation I thought you could help me clarify this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
pwalsh1
1 Nickel

I agree that strongly recommended does need more context.

And a good suggestion for the docbroker.  The docbroker was originally built to direct traffic, but it has potential to evolve into something greater. 

0 Kudos
pwalsh1
1 Nickel

With Documentum, we try to balance the addition of new features against the impact to current solutions.  We're discussing areas that have reached a point where the complexity demands careful reduction.  We're looking to approach stores from two angles: consolidate as much as possible within Documentum for standalone deployments or push as much as possible to remote protection system that can secure the stores in one location across the Enterprise.

0 Kudos
fainemr
4 Germanium

@Patrick Walsh  That sounds like a reasonable response, though I don't know what it is you're responding to?  Perhaps you meant to reply to someone else?  I don't think I asked any questions about stores, or did I?

0 Kudos
pwalsh1
1 Nickel

The biggest change is the adoption of Java 1.7 from the content server up.  Updates to the Java Method Server (JMS) implementation made this upgrade possible.

Earlier Documentum relied on a number of shared libraries across the stack or services.  This worked well when all services and clients were released and certified together at the same time.  But it did lead to additional risk, time and effort if one of these components was updated to fix a bug or behaviour in a Production system.  When we moved away from native load-once components like DMCL, we saw a proliferation of client applications that reused the same Java version so they could all run with the same AppServer. It helps to have the comfort of that AppServer container.  Most of the Documentum services run in their own process without an AppServer. They're designers wanted to keep as much compartmentalized as possible with a focus on Ease of Deployment.

An option to make later maintenance easier by sharing Java binaries sounds reasonable to me.

0 Kudos
pwalsh1
1 Nickel

Our Documentum licenses changed from individual products to simplified and solution-orientated bundled packages a couple of years ago.  Long time customers may notice new references with Documentum 7.  In general, the conversion to bundle licensing is not automatic from earlier licenses and you'll need to consult your sales contacts.

In the case of DTS upgrade, we're tapping the CTS Product Manager to point out the detailed upgrade path.

0 Kudos
PanfilovAB
4 Germanium

Is it worth waiting the answer to the "compatibility question"?

0 Kudos

Patrick Walsh: How soon is 'soon'? Was announced for end of January, postponed to end of February and now...?

0 Kudos