PanfilovAB
4 Beryllium

Re: Re: Ask the Expert: What's New in EMC Documentum 7.1?

PanfilovAB : For my opinion, dev edition is to pre-sales purposes, POC, ...

So, the only restriction is licensing, isn't it? How can the brief retelling of installation guide help to comply license purity?

Ed Steenhoek,

I can't understand your point, you prefer to wait some long time to get something unusable (unsupported, outdated, etc) from EMC, instead of spending two days to get own VM image?

0 Kudos
Julien_Fontaine
4 Beryllium

Re: Ask the Expert: What's New in EMC Documentum 7.1?

I don't understand your point PanfilovAB ! Maybe because i work as EMC Partner so no problem with EMC license and on the Dev Edition by Ingo Zitzmann, he only uses software without license.

0 Kudos
PanfilovAB
4 Beryllium

Julien Fontaine wrote:

I don't understand your point PanfilovAB ! Maybe because i work as EMC Partner so no problem with EMC license and on the Dev Edition by Ingo Zitzmann, he only uses software without license.

Create Documentum VM image and share it with me, then ask EMC whether you have violated license or not.

0 Kudos
EdSteenhoek1
3 Silver

@PanfilovAB,

Surprised by your response. I don't agree that @Julien has no idea...

1) Maybe not. It's not what I use it for. Neither have I said so. SDLC and proper virtualised System Test - Acceptance - Production set-up is a totally different ballgame. And yes, this deliberately does not start with DEV. SDLC with detached DEV isn't new nor uncommon.

2) Wrong assumptions. It's only true for die-hard developers. In a world with D2 and xCP there is another type of Documentum 'developer' for which a prepared VM (either from EMC or in his own company) is a proper starting point. Also, there are pre-sales roles that don't build it themselves.

You are correct that the intend of this release of the developer edition is, that it will not violate licenses. However, that is not its purpose.

The world isn't black or white. Right or wrong doesn't apply to the Documentum Developer Edition...

Have a great day!

Cheers, Ed

0 Kudos
EdSteenhoek1
3 Silver

@Julien I know. Just want the 'formal VM'

0 Kudos
pwalsh1
2 Bronze

Sorry for any confusion.  When I meant coming soon, I was referring to the Dev Edition for Documentum.  There have been many people working on revising this offering, packaging up the core necessities in one VM, and removing all other  licensing restrictions and costs that would be incurred with other packages and licensing.  That said, we are now finalizing the distribution channel, testing downloads, and making sure that the final staging is ready.

I believe that this offering will help with three key cases:

1. Rapid deployment of Development Sandboxes: Not everyone is as talented as some of you.  And besides who can't use two extra days.
  2. Accelerated POC development for custom applications.
  3. Quick Start education tool for Developers new to Documentum 7.

There will be future refreshes of this Edition and additional flavors are being planned.   I don't know when a DEV Edition with D2 or xCP will be available. I hope you agree that an xCP Dev Edition can be significantly complex with more moving parts that can cleanly fit on a single VM.  And it defintely helps now that we have a Dev Edition for Documentum that can act as a base.

The teams involved are definitely interested in your feedback - especially what you'd like to see in future refreshes.  The release will include a community area to capture and discuss the feedback.

0 Kudos
bilak
3 Argentum

Please can you explain what is the difference between database views _sp _sv or _rp _rv? They looke like they are the same.

0 Kudos
pwalsh1
2 Bronze

The *p views are public views and can be used by clients/applications.

The *v are Content Server internal views which are subject to different optimizations and not meant to be used by clients/applications.

0 Kudos
fainemr
4 Beryllium

I've been attempting to configure a new development environment using the new certificate based SSL mode and the Documentation and White paper are both very hard to follow and missing important information.  This is the biggest challenge facing Documentum administrators and developers.  I've never seen complete, thorough, error-free documentation for any Documentum product.  I understand it is hard work but that is what we pay you for.  We expect accurate and complete documentation.  The business of configuring this software is hard enough already without wasting an entire day only to discover a crucial step was left out of the Documentation. 

This could all be solved if EMC would provide a wiki formatted documentation site.  If we had a wiki we could correct the documentation ourselves and not need to wait months and submit multiple needless SRs just to get a correction to the documentation.  If we can't depend on your to give us accurate documentation then you should at least let us fix it ourselves.

Is this something we could see with 7.1?

0 Kudos
Julien_Fontaine
4 Beryllium

Excellent idea fainemr for the wiki documentation but .... Its not like that in DCTM 7.1 !

I like the new documentation for example for D2 , it's the HTML based documentation. Did you already try it ? What's your thought ?

0 Kudos