aldago-zF7Lc
4 Germanium

Re: Ask the Expert: What's New in EMC Documentum 7.1?

Ed Steenhoek wrote:

Patrick Walsh: How soon is 'soon'? Was announced for end of January, postponed to end of February and now...?

If you mean the developer edition, in this case I think soon means "when it's ready". The image "leaked" late february works just fine, however it was only the content server, we have no idea about the current state of the xCP stack running on that env. I wouldn't expect it before May - June.

0 Kudos

Yes, meant Developer Edition.

It was announced to be available in 3 flavours. The xCP stack being the last to be released. Didn't expect that because the xCP stack release depends on xCP 2.1 GA which was announced just a week ago or so.

I would make a difference if the first, just content server and REST was released.

If that is delayed to June, 'soon' is not the word I would have chosen...

0 Kudos
Julien_Fontaine
4 Germanium

@Ed,

As a workaround, not supported Dev Edition already exists. Checks Ingo Zitzmann blogs for example !

PanfilovAB
4 Germanium

Julien Fontaine wrote:

@Ed,

As a workaround, not supported Dev Edition already exists. Checks Ingo Zitzmann blogs for example !

Julien, in my opinion, you have no idea what you're talking about:

1. nobody is going to consider "Dev Edition" as core of DEV/UAT environment - this idea completely conflicts with SDLC
  2. I do think that all participants of this discussion are able to install Documentum environment without any brief (and typically wrong) retelling of installation guide

The purpose of "Dev Edition" is share Documentum (or solution based on Documentum) with potential customers (or co-workers) without violating licenses.

@Julien I know. Just want the 'formal VM'

0 Kudos
Julien_Fontaine
4 Germanium

Ed Steenhoek ... We dream about this potential new dev edition since DCTM 6.7 SP2 .

PanfilovAB :

1 . I never say that the Dev Edition is a DEV or UAT edition !

2 . I'm sure you're right !

@PanfilovAB,

Surprised by your response. I don't agree that @Julien has no idea...

1) Maybe not. It's not what I use it for. Neither have I said so. SDLC and proper virtualised System Test - Acceptance - Production set-up is a totally different ballgame. And yes, this deliberately does not start with DEV. SDLC with detached DEV isn't new nor uncommon.

2) Wrong assumptions. It's only true for die-hard developers. In a world with D2 and xCP there is another type of Documentum 'developer' for which a prepared VM (either from EMC or in his own company) is a proper starting point. Also, there are pre-sales roles that don't build it themselves.

You are correct that the intend of this release of the developer edition is, that it will not violate licenses. However, that is not its purpose.

The world isn't black or white. Right or wrong doesn't apply to the Documentum Developer Edition...

Have a great day!

Cheers, Ed

0 Kudos
PanfilovAB
4 Germanium

1 . I never say that the Dev Edition is a DEV or UAT edition !

And what is the purpose of Dev Edition in your opinion?

0 Kudos
Julien_Fontaine
4 Germanium

Ed Steenhoek : Thank you

PanfilovAB : For my opinion, dev edition is to pre-sales purposes, POC, ...

Have a great day !

PanfilovAB
4 Germanium

Re: Re: Ask the Expert: What's New in EMC Documentum 7.1?

PanfilovAB : For my opinion, dev edition is to pre-sales purposes, POC, ...

So, the only restriction is licensing, isn't it? How can the brief retelling of installation guide help to comply license purity?

Ed Steenhoek,

I can't understand your point, you prefer to wait some long time to get something unusable (unsupported, outdated, etc) from EMC, instead of spending two days to get own VM image?

0 Kudos