Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 10th, 2010 12:00

ASM and SQL Smart Copies

I have two questions about ASM and SQL Server.
1. I have a database called VSSTEST1 that is stored on a PSxxxx volume and have created a Full Snapshot Smartcopy using ASM. I can use ASM to restore the snapshot using the “Restore selected databases” option and specify that I want to apply logs. After that I can apply transaction logs. What I want to do is restore the snapshot using a different database name (e.g. VSSTEST2) and have it still be in “recovery” mode so that I can restore transaction log backups. ASM doesn’t let me do that. If I could generate a script to do the restore, I could modify the database name before executing the script.

2. Why can't I do the same type of restore using a replica Smart Copy. I don’t want to have to set up both Replica Smart copies and Snapshot smart copies for the same database. I would like to know if there are plans to combine those two, or if there is a way to attach a replica in such a way that I can do a manual restore from within SQL server just like I would with the backups that I create now.

Thanks,

Steve

June 11th, 2010 15:00

• There are no plans to add functionality to restore the database with a different name and leave it in a restoring state to apply t-logs. This would be difficult as our ‘Restore as New’ functionality is possible because we bypass VSS in order to be able to reuse the smart copy for another operation later down the road if needed. At best we could put an enhancement request in to have the option to leave in a restoring state but this would destroy the smart copy for future operations.

• In regards to replica smart copies we have to set up two different smart copy schedules because we base our snapshot and replica capabilities in ASM on those of the PS Series software and that’s how it works today.

I'm not sure I fully understand the last question. "if there is a way to attach a replica in such a way that I can do a manual restore from within SQL server just like I would with the backups that I create now."

If you mean can I access a replica directly and mount it to the SQL server and access the data, the answer is yes. You can either promote or clone the replica (cloning is preferred since it doesn't interrupt replication). You can then attach to the clone and see it as another drive.

Regards,

-don

4 Posts

June 14th, 2010 09:00

Don, thanks for the update. What I mean by the last part is this: When I do a "Restore selected database" from a Full Snapshot and specify "Apply Logs", it appears that what happens is that a temporary attachment of the snapshot occurs (e.g. directory avskpazt.wmq underneath the location of the production files). What I don't understand is what is done with those files to get the database into the "Restoring" mode. If there is a SQL command that is being issued, then I was hoping I could use the same command with a manually mounted copy of the snapshot to "restore" the snapshot to a database with a different name and then apply other transaction log backups.

Thanks,

Steve
No Events found!