Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2011 13:00

Clustering PS Array's

Working on s new installation, my customer had asked me if I could cluster two or three PS arrays in either an Act/Act or Act/Pass configuration?
Can this be done or is all clustering handles from the host side?

116 Posts

April 18th, 2011 12:00

Hello shchait,

you can run 3 more arrays in one group , the storage will be shown as one logical group, depending on used file system, the storage is cluster aware, with suitable MPIO drivers (depending on used operating system) to provide access to the LUN, but you also need to setup the hosts for a real HA cluster , the storage cannot determine if the clustered application fails (i.e. Exchange cluster or SQL cluster) , another approach might be a virtualisation solution with HA hosts , FT'ed virtual machine ......

Cheers
Marcus

2 Posts

April 18th, 2011 14:00

Just to focus on one point... Adding PS arrays into one group will allow the server to use disk that spans each of the arrays in that group? Or do I use disk specifically from one iqn array that does not span all three arrays in the group? Ant suggestions would assist me ;o)

116 Posts

April 19th, 2011 01:00

Hello shchait,

when you greate a PS group with 2 or more EQLs the diskspace of all arrays can be used a "1 LUN" (it really depends on used file system and requirements), i.e. you have got 2 PS 6000 EQL arrays in a group with raid 5 , you can add another array to that group and expand the existing capacity, of courese there are limits like different disk speed, supported array limits, used file system (it is important that the used file system can handle big lun sizes, is cluster aware), it is possible due to mata lun creation, but please remind that if an array fails , you need additional space in that group for evacuating the data and the storage is not aware of application failure , you need to configure the hosts for that.

Just in case you already purchased an EQL and if not done, point to http://www.equallogic.com/support, register your EQL and get access to the documentation or, if still unsure and its an upcomin project , why dont get in touch with your local sales rep ? I'm very confident that he will arrange a call with a technical advisor ,when you tell him about your intentions.

Cheers
Neph
No Events found!