WillS99
Copper

RE: Expand a virtual drive on a Dell Perc 6/i Raid 6?

Jump to solution

You were doing it right the first time (i.e. replace one drive at a time, let it rebuild, then repeat for the rest of the drives), the previous poster probably meant 'rebuild' and not 'reconfigure'. Why did you stop the reconfigure after replacing all 5 drives? Or if you didn't stop it, what was the outcome (it should have worked...)

Don't delete your raid array, that's clearly not the correct method!

0 Kudos
RobertQuinn
Bronze

Jump to solution

Ok, now I am feeling better about my process. I stopped the reconfigure because I wasn't sure what it was going to do and wanted to ask for advice first, the advice being the above comments that I was doing it wrong (but yes, it did seem right to me). I am going to try (replace/rebuild x 5, reconfigure) again in a couple weeks when we are closed down here and I can do it without interrupting service. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Robert,

Not a problem, & feel free to reach back out if you have any other questions.

DELL-Sam L
Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
MSS10
Copper

Jump to solution

I am kind of confused with the last step.

6) create  new array with space available.

if i have a raid 1 with 50 GB and after the upgrade the new total size of the hard drive is  200 GB.

do you mean create new array with space available meaning the 150GB difference or the total 200GB?

0 Kudos
20m
Copper

Jump to solution

how much time rebuild will take ??

0 Kudos
ronklopfer
Copper

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am in a similar situation and I hope that DELL-SAM L can provide some guidance.

Dell Perc 6/i, Windows small business sever 2011, Dell OpenManage 8.4.

What I have done so far:

-Original RAID was 3 drives, 465 GB each, configured as RAD-5.

-One by one, I replaced each drive with a new 930 GB drive, and then allowed that drive to rebuild before replacing the next drive.

-I then added a 4th drive (also a new 930 GB drive), which was intended to be a hot spare.

-Attempting to get the virtual disk to expand, I reconfigured to RAID-0, and then back to RAID-5.

-Currently I have a RAID-5 array with a virtual disk using all 4 drives, 1395 GB.   The virtual disk is using 465 GB out of the available 930GB on each of the 4 drives.  

What I want is: RAID-5, with 3 active disks and a hot spare.  The virtual disk should be 1830 GB (using all the space on the drives).

I have not yet backed up the data.  The server operating system is on this disk.  I don't know what it means to "retag" the array"

Where do I go from here?  Thanks!

Ron

0 Kudos
20m
Copper

Jump to solution

i had install all new HDD configure new RAID configuration at BIOS level please watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5lGWdvJyS4

then install new OS and restore all backup.

had search all option but this was ok for my case.

0 Kudos