SimonShaw
1 Copper

Help - DR4000 and Symantec Backup Exec 2012

Jump to solution

We are trying to set up a DR4000 with Symantec Backup Exec 2012 VRay Edition.

DR4000 firmware is at 1.0.1.1

I have created a new container and set full NFS and CIFS permissions with no restrictions. (Open Access)

When I go to add a new disk based storage location in BE, all goes OK until BE tries to access the share location when I receive an authentication error.  It appears that BE is trying to access the share using the default BE service account, (which the DR4000 does not recognize of course).

I am a bit bemused as I would have thought that if full permissions are enabled on the DR4000 shares, then it should not matter what account is used.

There is also no documentation on how to set up the DR4000 and BE with Open Storage Devices which apparently both support but every example I have seen ignores OSD and just uses a plain share disk path.

We are stuck with shiny new Dell backup server and DR4000 and no way to use them.

Can anyone assist?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
SimonShaw
1 Copper

Re: Help - DR4000 and Symantec Backup Exec 2012

Jump to solution

Ok.  Problem solved.  I disjointed the DR4000 from the domain, it still would not connect.  I rejoined it to the domain, and then BE could access the share OK.  Unsure why this didn't work before.  One note, why can't you join the DR4000 to the domain using the domain administrator account?  You have to use another account with domain admin rights.

2 Replies
SimonShaw
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Further information - Backup Exec claims I must add the Backup Exec service account to the share permission, which I do not see being possible.  I have also updated the DR4000 firmware to 1.0.1.2  Help please.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SimonShaw
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Ok.  Problem solved.  I disjointed the DR4000 from the domain, it still would not connect.  I rejoined it to the domain, and then BE could access the share OK.  Unsure why this didn't work before.  One note, why can't you join the DR4000 to the domain using the domain administrator account?  You have to use another account with domain admin rights.