Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 9th, 2011 15:00

Is it possible to increase array space on MD1000?

I currently have a Dell PV MD1000 fully loaded with 750GB SATA drives (750x15)
is it possible to replace out each drive, one-by-one with 1 or 2TB SATA drives, allowing each one to rebuild before replacing out the next one until all 15 drives are replaced then, use the extra disk space?

If so, is there anything "special" that needs to be done.

If not, what is the best way to increase overall space on my existing array (buying another is out!)

Thanks in Advance.

49 Posts

May 9th, 2011 17:00

ReggieW,

No the way RAID technology works would be the same size as the configured drives you currently have. If you need more space you could add a secondary MD1000 and with it more capacity. If you want to change the drives to larger you have to move all of the data off the array and then change the drives and reconfigure the array then move the data back.

May 12th, 2011 09:00

"ReggieW,

No the way RAID technology works would be the same size as the configured drives you currently have. If you need more space you could add a secondary MD1000 and with it more capacity. If you want to change the drives to larger you have to move all of the data off the array and then change the drives and reconfigure the array then move the data back."
Mmmmmmm....In theory he could to replace every Disk one-by-one as he said with 2TB hdd´s this will result in the same configuration and capacity he has already but with a lot of unused space in every HDD. Is it not possible to use this unused space to configure a new RAID?

4 Posts

May 18th, 2011 11:00

Buying an additional MD1000 is cost-prohibitive.
I know that I can swap each 750GB drive one-by-one, let it rebuild, then swap the next drive and repeat.
At the end of swapping all 15 drives, there's GOT to be some way to append that additional space.
BTW: the drive is using GPT and is acting as the backup array for Microsoft DPM 2007.

847 Posts

May 19th, 2011 09:00

I don't think so on this class of storage because it takes rebuilding the diskgroup from scratch or your stuck at the old drive size the disk group was built with.

4 Posts

May 19th, 2011 15:00

Attached to our backup server (a PE R610 w/PERC6/e card) a quantum LT0-5 Tape library.
Can MS-DPM backup its own array where the protected groups reside to tape?
If so, What is the procedure?

Thanks in advance.

55 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 13:00

DELL_LanceB, has the right goal in mind. Best Practice would be pave and play. You could go into OMSA under virtual disk and choose the new 2TB disk and reconfigure the virtual disk. If you use a hotspare disable it and swap it out with a new 2TB disk. Then reconfigure the virtual disk to use the new 2TB disk. Repeat this process until you have swaped every disk out. Also assuming your existing raid is at least raid 5. No offical artical on this though.

MS DPS is a backup solution, and could put its backups to the tape library. I guess im not understanding the questions?

4 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 15:00

What I'm trying to say is this: "Can DPM backup it's own ENTIRE backup disk array as a whole and span it across multiple LTO-5 tapes?

55 Posts

May 24th, 2011 06:00

It looks possible when consulting the all and powerfull google, it seems to be prone to errors. Alot of complaints out there about DPM. Appears as long as you enable colocating this should work as aspected. Personaly I would use ComVault or ArcServ.
No Events found!