Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

May 22nd, 2017 19:00

MD3420 : reset NW config ?

We have a MD3420 storage connected to 2 ESX Hosts.

We were able to perform an initial configuration of the MD3420 and were able to create storage and present to one of the ESX Hosts.

At the current time I am not able to connec tto the MD3420 via crossover cable to coimplete the configuration.

I have some questions around troubleshooting options.

Is it possible to reset and/or restart the NW configuration without disrupting the current virtual disks presented over SAS to connected hosts?

If I need to perfomr any factory or default reset of the configuration of the MD3420 can this be done withjout losing the current storage onfiguration or at least allowing the storage to be recovered quickly without requiring a restore?

Note that I will  need to do these function without being able to connect to MD3420 via network.

I do have a working ESX 5.5 host connected to the storage via SAS. Is there a way of using a VM on that ESX hosts to manage via that SAS connection?

• 

6.9K Posts

May 25th, 2017 09:00

Hello CraigAlexander,

Are you trying to add a second host so that it can see the same Virtual Disk as the first host? Also you can manage your MD3420 via MDSM or SMCLI. Here is the link to the SMCLI guide just in case you need it. http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/powervault-md3400_CLI%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

May 30th, 2017 18:00

Thank you for that information.

The problem I have s that I am not currently able to connect to the MD3420 via the WAN or directly via cross over cable.

I am hoping that a restart of the storage will fix this issue.

I am looking for information in case I have to take more drastic action to reset the MD3420.

1. Is it possible to reset the network configuration without affecting current virtual disks?

2. If I need to perform a factory reset, is it possible without a network connection?

Regards

Craig

• 

6.9K Posts

June 1st, 2017 11:00

Hello Craig,

Yes you can make changes to your network configuration in MDSM without affecting your virtual disk. If you need to do a factory reset then you will need to make sure that you have the serial cable that came with your MD3420.

June 6th, 2017 23:00

Thank you for that information.

Can I use MDSM to manage the MD3420 over the mini usb port which from the documentation I have is for debugging.

Or do I need to use other software.

Is there any particular documentation explaining this debugging interface?

• 

6.9K Posts

June 7th, 2017 14:00

Hello Craig,

The Mini usb port is used when the controller is not booting or there is an issue with them. The only way to access them is to use putty & that will show the controllers boot up. Once the controllers are booted then you will want to access the system via MDSM or SMCLI.

June 13th, 2017 19:00

Thank you ofr that information. I know now the commands that I need to use.

I could not locate any cable that may have come wih the MD3420 for this purpose. Can I use any USB cables with the correct connections that I get from a computer store or do I need a special cable from DELL?

Regards

• 

6.9K Posts

June 14th, 2017 06:00

Hello CraigAlexander,

You will need the serial cable as it is a special cable. Here is the Dell Part# VPNP6 for the Serial cable that you will need for your MD3420.

No Events found!