Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2017 16:00

Migrate Data from MD3620i to MD3220?

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this. Is it possible to do a disk group export from a MD3620i using MDSM, physically move the disks over to an MD3220 and import the disk group If both units are running the same firmware version? I saw in the owners manual the process for doing this but I assumed the manual describes the process of moving disk groups between identical arrays. I know they are different models technically but the software on both is pretty much the same, one is just iSCSI the other one SAS. I know I could copy the data over but that would take weeks and is not really viable for us. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 

6.9K Posts

November 1st, 2017 10:00

Hello tgedgau,

What is the current version of firmware that you are running on your MD’s? If you are running on 08.xx.xx.xx then yes you can use the import/export feature in MDSM and move the drives. Here are the steps that I would use if I was doing this:

1. Get a good backup of the data.
  2. Then highlight the Disk Group and Right Click and you should see an "Export" option.
  3. Once it completes you will hot add all of the drives on the MD3220.
  4. After all the drives are all in the array, you will highlight the same Disk Group Name, right Click and Import.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!