Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2009 00:00

Using 10K & 15K rpm hard drives in RAID 1 configuration for server.

i want to ask if i can use Seagate Cheetah 10K rpm ST373207LC & 15K rpm ST373455LC hard drives in RAID 1 configuration on a Poweredge 1850 server.

Previously i had two 10K rpm ST373207LC working in RAID 1 config. but recently one of the hard drives has gone bad & i need to replace it. I would like to replace it with the latest version of 15K rpm ST373455LC as this drive is easily available.

The RAID controller is compatible with both hard drives. I wil update the SCSI firmware driver from dell.

The reason for posting here is that want to find out if this may cause any compatibility issues.
Will the new hard drive be able to make mirror image from the old drive?

The hard drive has to be hot swapped & I cannot shut down the server. Will this be an issue?

116 Posts

September 5th, 2009 16:00

Hello,

usually its not a problem, the new harddrive with 15k rpm will be matched to 10k rpm by the controller (be sure to have the latest firmware and driver installed). you can replace the failed drive with the new one on the fly by using your storage managment software if installed (open manage or array manager, I recommend to use the latest open manage), if the drive is amber or yellow blinking you can swap the drive , insert the new one and the drive starts to rebuild (please perform those actions when the server is running), if the drive is blinking green/yellow or still grenn you need to disceonnect the drive via software management tool first or reboot the server, enter the controller bios , and disconnect the drive , please refer the docs for the controller or if using the storage management software that docs, docs can be found at http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/Storlink/ (verify which controller type you are using) and/or http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/software/svradmin/ (depending which open manage you are using) or , if using array manager you can find the docs at http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smarrman/
If still unsure get in touch with the technical enterprise support, they also provide help, depending on servicelevel of server (i.e. the warranty has been expired) you can get in touch with your sales contact ,they can arrange a technician who will swpa the drive for you, but if you are decide to take the technician via sales contact you have to pay for that
Hopefully this helps you to solve your issue, if you still ahve got questions please post which perc controller is used, firmwarelevel, used operating system and also which storage managmement tool is used on server, thks alot

Best regards

Marcus

2 Posts

September 9th, 2009 01:00

I'VE ALREADY TRIED TO SYNCHRONIZE THE TWO HARD DRIVES AND THAT WORKED OUT OK. (CHECKED THE STATUS IN DELL RAID CONTROLLER.)

BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE DEVICE MANAGER DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THE NEW HARD DRIVE.

I'M GOING TO DOWNLOAD THE SCSI DRIVE FIRMWARE FROM DELL & THEN SEE IF IT WORKS.

THANKX ALOT MARCUS FOR YOUR COMMENT.

REGARDS.

1 Message

October 14th, 2014 03:00

please help me.ihave the same isues.

am using R720 svr redhat and raid 5 with 10k drives.

so ineed to all HDD upgrade to 15k drives.its live running svr.so how to change all drives.

some body told me remove first drive and install 15k drive.after buil raid again remove second 10k drive and install 15k drive.

this way good or not?

No Events found!