Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2013 06:00

Virtual Disk failure on MD3000

Hi, hope someone can offer some assistance.

We have a MD3000 which was configured with 1 virtual disk including 1 hot standby, connected to VMWare which held all the virtual machine files. the disk group is named DG0 at RAID 5 and the virtual disk vd0. Recently we had a disk failure which kicked in the hot standby, unfortunately before the disk was replaced, 2 further failures occured.

I have replaced the 3 failed disks now and they are showing as optimal but un-assigned, I don't seem to be able assign these disks, also I am getting Incomplete Disk Group in Recovery Guru which I cannot seem to update to recover.

To make matters worse the hot spare is now reporting as failed.

Not sure if this is a lost cause or even if I will be able to recover the data on the array, it is a huge undertaking to rebuild all the virtual machines so I am hopeful someone on here can offer some help.

Many thanks

Barry

• 

6.9K Posts

November 13th, 2013 10:00

Hello Barry,

What you can try to do is if you know the last drive that failed then reinsert it into the MD & see if it comes back online. If it does then see if your virtual disk comes back online & is viewable. If viewable then I would do a backup so that when you recreate the VD you can do a restore. If the drive doesn’t come back then you will have to rebuild the Virtual disk via backup.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Message

June 9th, 2014 12:00

Hello Barry,

did you ever get a resolution to this? i am experiencing the same issue.

vlhorton

• 

6.9K Posts

June 10th, 2014 10:00

Hello vlhorton,

How many drives did you have fail at the same time before your rebuild could complete? If you haven’t replaced any drives other than the one that your hotspare took over for if you have one configured you can try to reseat the drives & see if the rebuild completes then once it does then you can replace the drives one at a time after you get a successful backup.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!