Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2011 15:00

adding switches to the picture

HI,
I have MD3000i with 2 servers connected via iscsi. We use cross over cables for redundant setup. We need to add a 3rd server to the picture so we added 2 switches to our SAN. I expected that no config changes will be required to the working servers, but open-iscsi was not happy about that and now we are in the possition then nothhing works.
Question: what needs to be changed in previous config in order to make it work via switched network? As now each initiator can see more target interfaces should we redo all the setup from scratch?
we use Mandriva linux 2.6.30 and open-iscsi 2.0-871

5 Posts

February 21st, 2011 06:00

It appeared that it was a jumbo frames which were causing the problem . I disabled them and everything started to work again (more or less as expected)

55 Posts

February 21st, 2011 13:00

The MD3000i is a awesome product, and here are some things that may help you.

Turn STP off, enable flow control and set switch to use a default MTU of 1500 unless you have verified you need to use 9000 (Jumbo Frames)

Verify your network communication to the taget by pinging the target portal ports. Then run this command "mppUtil -A" to verify you have connection to the target.

Mandriva linux isn't validated to work, but I have seen other distro's have good luck also. See the support matrix below for a list of validated operating systems.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/md3000i/en/SUPPORTMATRIX/Sup_Matx.pdf

If you have to use Mandriva stay with the 2.6.18 kernel, in accordance with LSI Chipset. This will help you stay some what parallel with the libaio communication with the kernel and the linuxrdac driver.

Don't use the DM Multipathing Driver, the MD3000x models all use the linuxrdac driver for bus communication. Open iSCSI just provides the transport.

For Linux Install of the MD3000i see
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/md3000i/en/2ndGen/IG/PDF/IGbk02g.pdf

If the system is under warranty contact us @ Dell Support we would be glad to assist.
No Events found!