Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 29th, 2011 12:00

change rate

hi there,

Does anyone know how to measure the amount of data that changes on an Equallogic SAN over a period of time - i.e. the change rate?

I've been looking at SAN HQ but can't see this info anywhere.

Cheers for any help,

Huw

203 Posts

November 29th, 2011 14:00

Without a doubt, observing your snapshots is the best way to estimate (roughly) what your replicas will look like.  I've been asking for a feature that would help you analyze this during a sample period, but nothing has come of it yet.

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

November 29th, 2011 13:00

Not entirely sure what you mean by “change rates”?

If you are referring to disk change monitoring that is capable of detecting file creations, modifications, attribute changes and deletions in real-time, then this is something you need to do on the OS level.  The array is block level storage and not able to detect these types of changes.

If you are looking for statics on I/O, then SANHQ has this ability in the Group I/O and the volume I/O sections.  Here you can see I/O data (the reads, and writes) going to the group/volumes.

Joe

203 Posts

I would suspect that since he's asking about the EqualLogic array, that he'd be interested in the block level changes.  To the OP, this is a little more difficult than what it might first seem, as like you said, it can be over various periods of time, and it could be the same block data changing multiple times, versus a very linear different blocks changing over a given period of time.

What I'd recommend is setup some snapshots at some fixed interval you feel comfortable with.  (e.g. once a day, etc.)  Then observe the amount that the snapshot reserve fills up after each increment.  You'll be able to see some patterns develop pretty quickly.  This can be a quick and dirty way of estimating what your replicas might look like if you are interested in replication.  Although, it won't be exact because of some technical differences.  

124 Posts

thanks for your responses.

I probably could have worded the question better! We are looking at replication as was wondering how we can get an indication of how much data is changing (and will need to be replicated).

Is the snapshot method the best way to check this?

H

November 29th, 2011 15:00

@huwy,  you should have a look at this too:

Dell EqualLogic Auto-Replication Best Practices and Sizing Guide: en.community.dell.com/.../2641.aspx

124 Posts

November 29th, 2011 15:00

thanks. we have quite a few luns so checking the snapshots is going to be a pain!

that feature would be really useful!

Thanks for your help.

203 Posts

November 29th, 2011 16:00

I think what you'll find is that the patterns show up pretty quickly.  Make sure that you don't have any legacy processes that might sabatoge or skew some of the numbers.  Manual file copies, defrags, etc.  

As far as the idea of having the ability to run an analysis, it seems to me it would be quite easy for them to implement.  I mean, the information on changed blocks is just metadata.  From the cheap seats, it seems like they have all they need to build in this very valuable function.

No Events found!