Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

June 25th, 2004 13:00

5150 DC adapter?

Just got a 5150 portable and was physically stunned to learn that there is no DC auto adapter for it!  What is up with that?  It is, after all, it is a portable computer!  Will an adapter be available in the future, or what?

Thanks, Hank

2.6K Posts

June 25th, 2004 17:00

hankth,

Thank you for using Dell's Community Forum.

Dell sells a 3rd party adaptor that you can look into purchasing.

3 Posts

June 25th, 2004 17:00

Really? thanks, I will try again.  I was told there was not one available.  I will be back here with an apology if I can get one on order.

Thanks,

Hank

3 Posts

June 25th, 2004 18:00

Corey, I was just told a second time that there is not a DC car adapter offered for the 5150 laptop.  Am I the only person that finds this strange?  I would like to get on a waiting list for if and when one becomes availabe.  Is this possible?

Thanks again,

Hank

2.6K Posts

June 25th, 2004 20:00

hankth,

The Dell 65W AC/DC Combo Adapter (by Targus) does indeed work (albeit in a lower mode) with the Inspiron 5150.

90 Posts

June 25th, 2004 20:00

Diggin a hole here, aren't we. 1.) The combo adapter was pulled off the site after a little 'recall' issue. See link 2.) It's not a Targus nor is it made by Targus (a bag company anyway) 3.) Why get a 5150 that runs like a PIII because Dell makes their machines proprietary and can only muster a 65 watt adapter? Too funny!

June 30th, 2004 16:00

just buy a power inverter. you can get around 150w for $30 from CDW.

and Kayaker, targus makes tons of stuff. what you said it like saying "apc only makes batteries"

90 Posts

June 30th, 2004 16:00

Excellent chance of smoking a 150 watt inverter. I did! The 5150 can require a 130 watt load - take into account the inneffiecies involved in multiple conversions & POP - there she blows. May have to get a 200 watt + size & hardwire it to the electrical system, depending on how the vehicle is fused. You are realistically looking at potentially drawing approx. 14 amps - not something most vehicle manufacturers really planned on.
Also, Targus makes nothing - strictly a marketing company The contention, however, is that a Dell representative should have some idea of who produces their product and if not, don't make an erroneous claim.
If it wasn't for the proprietary communications chip in the Dells - many third party options would be available - and better options than an inverter at that.

1 Message

September 21st, 2004 13:00

I ordered my 5150 on 9/13.  I'm now concerned that this may not have been a wise choice.

I chose Dell for its reputation (through business), and the 5150 for its price and features.  My wife ordered her Dell notebook one day before I ordered mine.  Hers arrived yesterday - mine is still "in production".

I'm on the road a lot and wanted to replace my old PDA with a laptop.  Part of being on the road means not being near an AC outlet, so I looked here for a DC power adapter.  That was a mistake.  What's the problem with this notebook that no one can build a DC adapter for it?

The posts on this subject were dated in June.  So....has ANYTHING changed with regards to DC adapters for the 5150?  I'm real close to cancelling the order - it isn't built yet - and purchasing from a company with a better selection of *needed* accessories.

Has anyone found a compatible DC power adapter at CompUSA or elsewhere?  Is the inverter the only way to go?

Thanks,

Mike

January 16th, 2005 04:00

Hi Corey,

What is the part number for the Dell 65W AC/DC Combo Adapter (Targus) that works with the 5150?

Thanks
Rich

90 Posts

January 17th, 2005 12:00

See MOBE & CMRO These are the people 'making' the Targus adapters. Inverter? I guess that's why Dell and most other OEM's sell DC/DC adapters and not cheap modifies sign wave (see ugly, noisy RF EMI, innefficient electrical signal) ,inverters - their engineers just don't have the knowledge. Actually, you can go to Target and get a 400 watt Coleman inverter for $19.95!!! Why pay $30.00 for a poor solution when you can pay $20.00?

January 19th, 2005 18:00

Not familiar with the world of electricity.  Would I still need a functional AC adapter for the 5150 to plug into the inverter?  

Thanks!

90 Posts

January 12th, 2006 13:00

Targus does NOT make the Dell combo adapter - or any adapter - They private label adapters from Mobility (MOBE) and Comarco (CMRO) Just an FYI - Their bags are outsourced as well - They are a marketing company - not a manufacturer. Given the efficiency loss of using an inverter in conjunction with the AC adapter, the odds of an inverter working (modified sine wave at $30.00) via a cig plug are slim under full load conditions with a 5150. A pure sine wave inverter in the 300 watt class harwired to the vehicle would be preferred method as trying to pull upwards of 15+ amps through a cig plug is ill advised - if it would work at all.

January 12th, 2006 13:00

Is it really true that no one still sells an adapter that will allow me to use my Dell Inspiron 5150 while travelling in a car?
No Events found!