Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2009 10:00

A white screen with black dots appears upon starting my Inspiron 1420

So about a week ago, while using my laptop, the screen would randomly begin to fade into white with black dots until the entire screen was covered. It would stay like this for only a few seconds and then the screen would go back to normal. I scanned my computer for viruses and nothing came up. Lately the problem has escalated and now whenever I turn on my computer the white screen appears with black dots and sometimes horizontal lines appear or it fades into black. When i click ctrl+alt+delete the screen goes black but then quickly resumes the white with black dots. That is the only change my screen experiences, otherwise, it stays white with black dots no matter what keys I press. I tried to start that LCD color test thing where you hold down the FN key, but honestly I'm not really sure what that means because there's obviously no FN key so I don't know if there's a specific F key to click? And that doesn't seemed to be working. I really need to retrieve some files on my computer that I did not back up and I can't even start my computer. Please help!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 5th, 2009 11:00

Contact Dell and have the mainboard replaced - yet another nVidia video chip failure.  It's covered by a 1-year warranty extension:

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

No Events found!