Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2004 16:00

AC Power adapters

I sent what I thought was a simple question to Dell Sales (Customer Care):

I live in an older home.
I have 3 prong outlets only in Bath, Kitchen, and Office.
I would like to buy a laptop that I could use in the bedroom or living
room.
I also travel to small cities that often only have one, old, Motel.
Do any of the Dell Laptops have 2 prong power adapters?
If so, which models?

Apparently no one knows the answer in sales.

This was the answer:

Thank you for contacting Dell Customer Care. We appreciate your interest in our products. Please contact our Sales Department for pricing and product availability information.

Anybody know what seems to me to be a relevant sales question?

797 Posts

September 3rd, 2004 16:00

All Dell adaptors are 3 prong as far as i know

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2004 17:00

Thanx for the feed back

I have heard that there are laptops with 2 prong adapters, that would serve me best.

I work out in the small towns and many only have one three prong that is connected to the bathroom light.

I hope to find a 2 prong, adding 3 prong to my bedroom wouldn't be as much of a problem as adding one to my living room.

PS what font size do you use on this forum? I set to medium and it looked pretty big to me. This is x-small.

7.9K Posts

September 3rd, 2004 17:00

Depending on your floor plan (i.e. if there's a crawl space under your house) it may not be hard to upgrade bedroom outlets to 3prongs.  If there's a nearby pipe, it will work perfectly as a ground line.

That said, there are plenty of 3 to 2 prong converters on the market.  I'm betting you could get the laptop to run without the ground lead, although it's probably not recommened (i could be wrong here).

164 Posts

September 10th, 2004 02:00

Hi:

To my knowledge, the 2 prong power adapter is rarely been used by all manufacturers now.

It is much easier to buy a converter (as I have been doing) to use for 3-prong adapters in areas where there are only 2-prong, as vice versa.

It would take you very long, if possible at all, to find such power adapters used by Dell as well as other vendors.

Good luck.

7.9K Posts

September 10th, 2004 03:00

toshiba may still use 2 prongs ...  know they did 3 years ago at anyrate

Message Edited by NemesisDB on 09-09-2004 11:21 PM

No Events found!