Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

K

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2006 13:00

ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0 on Intel 945GM Chipset?

Has anyone got an ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0 to work on a Inspiron with an Intel 945GM graphics chipset?  I just finally got one off eBay, and I can't get it to work.  I'm stuck at the "Unable to Start TV" message.  I followed ATI's instructions on various troubleshooting tips to no avail.

I only ask here to see if anyone has been successful with it.  One key feature it asks is for AGP Text Accelerations option to be enabled.  With my laptop, that option is not available to change.

November 4th, 2006 16:00

After doing some research, people either love TV Wonder USB [2.0] or hate it. I have an old Inspiron 2650 with the same chipset, but the chipset isn't the whole answer. To their credit (!), ATI has the following topics posted on their Support website. They really should be printed on the box under "Requirments"!. You can't link to these topics, but you can search for the reference number after clicking on Customer Care at: http://ati.amd.com/.

Starting with the real *biggie*:

737-23212: ATI Multimedia Center 9.15: Encoder fails to install with third party graphics card
...Attempting to install the required ATI Encoder component for ATI Multimedia Center 9.15 with a non-ATI graphics card results in an error ...
Solution: Currently there is no solution.

-->Read that one again before you buy the product!

37-21696: Poor image quality using Multimedia Center 9.13 with the TV Wonder USB 2.0 ... ...To workaround this issue, install a previous Multimedia Center version as the image quality is not affected.

(no number) Captured Video Clips are Choppy...
* No other applications should be running
* Do not open or close the CD tray
* Refrain from moving the mouse around...
The following hardware factors have been known to affect video capture quality:
* CPU speed/performance
* Physical RAM available
* Hard Drive speed (preferably 7200 rpm or better)
Upgrade any of these and you should be able to achieve higher capture quality. Downgrade any one of them and you may have to lower your capture settings to keep from dropping frames.

Good luck.
No Events found!