Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2011 18:00

After Linux install and disk reformat: "No bootable devices, strike f1 to retry boot f2 for setup utility press f5 to run onboard diagnostics"

Hello there,

Recently, I formated the hard drive of my XPS M1330, and installed Linux. Some settings or something must be wrong, because when I start the computer I get this error:

"No bootable devices strike f1 to retry boot f2 for setup utility press f5 to run onboard diagnostics".

The hard-drive shows up in bios, and I have no luck booting from the hard-drive or any other devices.

Why am I having this problem, and what shall I do about it?

Thanks.M

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 2nd, 2011 19:00

Are you sure you installed Linux and wasn't just running it in RAM as a LiveCD?

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 04:00

I installed it from a USB  stick to a 30 gb logical partition, file system ext4. The first time I tried to run it, I got the above error.

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 05:00

EDIT: I am able to boot from a CD, just not the hard-drive after the install.M

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 3rd, 2011 06:00

The partition must be active in order to boot.

If you did not activate the 3rd partition then it may not boot.  The drive has a tiny 50 meg diag partition1, then a 12 gig recovery partition and  the rest of the drive is the 3rd partition.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 3rd, 2011 09:00

I installed it from a USB  stick to a 30 gb logical partition, file system ext4. The first time I tried to run it, I got the above error.

I suspect that you installed Ubuntu to the partition that contained the laptop Windows recovery files. Now you won't be able to recover Windows if you need since you've wiped out those files.

And you probably didn't let Ubuntu install Grub which is the boot manager or didn't install it correctly.

All in all you messed up your hard drive.

You can try downloading and running SuperGrub from CD. It may be able to rescue your laptop.

No Events found!