Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

May 8th, 2008 05:00

Alt - Print Screen on a Latitude XT

Hello

I have a small problem on my new Dell Latitude XT.

I want to copy current windows to the clipbord in Windows

On a desktop computer I would have pressed Alt-PrtScrn. This would copy the current marked windows to my clipboard. But how can i do this on a Latitude XT?

There is the blue FN witch I must press for PRTscn

So when I press FN PRTSCRN and ALt i does not work

Has any one any idees to do this?

1.8K Posts

May 8th, 2008 14:00

Are you sure the printscreen requires the Fn key?  On my laptop keyboard (I have a latitude D630 which may not be the same keyboard layout as your XT), the printscreen is on the same key as SysRq and it is the SysRq that is blue in color.  The printscreen is white, so I don't have to press Fn to activate it.

4 Posts

May 20th, 2008 11:00

Well, I have tried in many diffrent way to make a printscreen on a windows that is active but the solution has not present it self to me jet. I even tried the Dell support and even they faild to help me :(

1.8K Posts

May 21st, 2008 02:00

I suggest you download the freeware Irfanview and use the screen capture facility inside it to capture the active window.  You can then load it into Irfanview or any other image software and print it.  You can also search for and download any other specialized screen capture software that might provide more specific functionality for screen capture than Irfanview, but I like the latter because it is a full featured graphics program that can handle lots of different image formats and can manipulate images in lots of different ways.

1 Message

June 5th, 2008 13:00

On the Latitude XT, the problematic key has three functions:

1. [F11] in white - this is the default key action.

2. [PrtScn] in blue - this action requires holding [Fn] while pressing the key.

3. [SysRq] in blue - Pressing [Alt]+[Fn]+ the key invokes this function.

The problem is that in Windows XP, the key combination [Alt]+[PrtScn] is supposed to copy an image of only the current active window (instead of the entire desktop) to the clipboard. However there is no combination of keys you can press for this purpose on the XT.

I have had several other Dell laptops (all running WinXP) with this same mixture of 3 key labels, but they do not have the same behaviour as on the Latitude XT:

- Dell Inspiron 710m

- Dell XPS M1210

- Dell Latitude D430

On all of the above laptops, pressing [Fn]+[Alt]+[F11] is analagous to [Alt]+[PrtScn] and simply captures the active window. Frustration arises when a certain model is inconsistent.

No Events found!