Highlighted
smartineau1
Bronze

BIOS flash issue

A few days ago I flashed  to BIOS a10 on Vostro 3700. Since then battery charging is disabled. laptop will boot with battery removed. Swapped battery still no charge.

Unable to downgrade to A09. Unable to re-flash a10. need to either rollback or factory reset bios. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Not happy today.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
MicroTest
Platinum

Re: BIOS flash issue

before you despair do the normal troubleshooting - just pretend you have never updated the BIOS......

I assume that battery and power adapter are 100% Dell compatible

> check if the BIOS detects the power adapter - press "F2" at powerup

> if adapter is not detected it could be the power adapter itself,the power jack or mainboard/BIOS

0 Kudos

Hi smartineau1,

Welcome to community,

Enter BIOS tap F2 at start up (Dell logo),check if AC adapter is getting detected normally.Under Main check AC Adapter Type,does it show unknown or 65 or 90 watt ?

Try to restore BIOS to default settings.Press F9 to set up defaults and than press F10 to save and exit.

Thank You

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

0 Kudos
smartineau1
Bronze

Yes OEM adapter & Battery plus a generic replacement battery (neither will charge).

@ f2 - AC Adapter type = 65w, so it appears to be recognized.

0 Kudos
smartineau1
Bronze

post f9 reset, upon reboot a message saying the 65w adapter is wrong. but it was the OEM adapter with the machine. I'm puzzled

0 Kudos
smartineau1
Bronze

is f9 in setup intended to simply reset to default settings or rollback to factory BIOS a01? post f9 BIOS remains a10 & not reverted.

0 Kudos

F9 in set up will just restore the default settings in BIOS.It does not revert or change the BIOS to previous version.

The replacement battery is that 9 cell or 6 cell?

0 Kudos
smartineau1
Bronze

Bought the replacement battery over a year ago, pretty sure it's a 9 cell. physically larger than the OEM and longer usage time too. I've removed the replacement & inserted the OEM battery, no change in function - not charging.  All was in fact functioning properly last week. Thought the left side around the power port felt too hot. the cooling fan would only spin up when there is a lot of heat, not just warm but hot to the touch. Did the obligatory trouble shooting a realized the BIOS was a01. Flashed to a10. yesterday battery power was low, plugged in - not charging.

0 Kudos

Hi smartineau1,

I came across a solution which has worked on different system model,however you can try and see if it works on your system model.

Try the steps below:

Step 1: Disconnect AC adapter (charger)

Step 2: Shutdown system

Step3: Remove battery

Step4:Connect AC adapter

Step5: Turn on system (only with AC adapter plugged in),login to windows.

Step6:Go to Control panel,Open Device Manager,Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI

Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Step7Smiley Frustratedhutdown system

Step8Smiley Very Happyisconnect AC adapter,reconnect the battery and plug in the AC adapter,turn on system normally.

Let me know if this helps,

Thank You

0 Kudos
smartineau1
Bronze

That did not correct the issue

0 Kudos