Highlighted

Backlit Keyboard Stopped working in my Dell XPS 13 Ultra

I've had this laptop two weeks now and the backlit keyboard has just stopped working. According to Quickset, it is "on" and I've toggled between using the Ambient Light Sensor and not but to no avail. The backlight was working fine up until this morning and now just seems dead in the water. I've restarted the computer a few times but no luck.

0 Kudos
20 Replies

Re: Backlit Keyboard Stopped working in my Dell XPS 13 Ultra

Dinman127263

When you start the notebook and before Windows loads does the keyboard light up?  You can also check in safemode, start the system while tapping F8 and choose safemode.  Log on to Windows, at any time in this process is the backlit on?  If not then there is likely a problem.  

If you aren't able to get the backlit on anymore no matter what you try please shoot me a private message.  On the Private message please include your name, address, phone number and the service tag of the notebook.  I will be happy to research possible service options.  If I can't help personally, I can certainly get you in contact with someone that can.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

It seems to have been fixed, but there is still a mystery how exactly this works. Although restarting the laptop never fixed it, putting it to sleep and waking it up did. Since then its been working but I've noticed a couple of times it wouldn't come on automatically and I've had to use the FN key to turn it on.

0 Kudos

One other thing that I can think of is Windows Mobility.  You can bring it up by pressing the Windows key with X.  From there you can configure the back light,  on when it turns on, how long it stays on and so forth.  If you aren't familiar with it and have not taken a look at it,  I certainly suggest to do so.  I would also like for you to reply back if you are familiar with Windows Mobility and it hasn't helped.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
bj78
Copper

Hi, I've had the same problem as Dinman127263 and I've looked in the windows mobility screen, there stood that the backlit was on but the lights were off. after that i putted the device to sleep mode and waking it up worked as well for me.. strange...

0 Kudos
Paclaw
Copper

Hi,

Same thing here, tried to reboot or modify the backlit option from the windows mobility screen both not working, but coming back from sleep did it... 

strange!

0 Kudos
ROBHOLT
Copper

I have the same issue with XPS 16 (1760 i think) - all reports well in mobilty centre - fn key does the trick but only to the mouse buttons and on the little icon/popup that appears on screen - caps lock light seems ok - just none of my alpha/numeric keys have backlit function

0 Kudos
Grant33
Copper

Terry,  I am an XPS 13 owner with the same issue. I went to Windows mobility to see if the setting was turned on there, but it was not even on the menu to alter. Should it be? I have installed the latest Quickset but I don't know exactly how it works now that I have it.

0 Kudos

Grant33,

Try...

Ambient Sensor/Backlit Keyboard Control

or

Ambient Light Sensor Settings

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
Grant33
Copper

A couple areas of confusion. First of all, my issue is with the keyboard backlight function. On the video's screenshot it shows a keyboard backlight option under the Customized by Dell section of Mobility Center. My mobility center does not include that option. When I followed the instructions on the video with the ALS, it does not automatically disable like the guy in the video said it would when I manually turn up the screen brightness.

0 Kudos