Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

June 27th, 2008 18:00

Battery not charging on Latitude D610

I have two batteries for my laptop they no longer charge in the laptop.  I have it plugged into the AC Adapter, but the battery charge light no longer comes on.  The batteries both work, but they are both nearly discharged.

Any ideas as to why the charging is not happening?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 27th, 2008 19:00

First thing to try is a new adapter - if it doesn't charge either battery, then you've a faulty power jack or faulty mainboard.

3 Posts

June 28th, 2008 15:00

I have the exact same problem on my D610 and it just started a few days ago.

I noticed it because I use a docking station when my notebook is at home.  When the computer is docked I don't like to have the battery in because the system will stay cooler without it, however when I'm about to undock the computer I'll slide the battery in, undock it and be on my way.  Just a couple days ago I slid the battery in to undock it like always (I've been doing it this way for over a year) and the whole system locked up.  So I shut the system down and tried it again.  The same thing happened and now I've noticed the battery won't charge.  It says the battery is at 70 percent but the system claims to be on AC power without charging.  It's as if it doesn't know the battery is not fully charged. 

I'm pretty sure this is a software problem somehow as opposed to an adapter problem because the battery doesn't charge on the docking station or simply plugged into the AC adapter.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 28th, 2008 16:00

If the system won't charge with the notebook undocked and powered off, it's a hardware fault -- since it sounds like it won't charge in or out of the dock, most likely it's a problem with the mainboard, but if it's out of warranty, it may be worth trying a new power supply first.  At $35 or so, it's a fraction of what a mainboard will cost.

3 Posts

June 29th, 2008 06:00

The battery will charge when the system is powered off both on the dock and off.  The battery will not charge when the system is on.

617 Posts

June 29th, 2008 14:00

The battery will charge if the system is on, but it's takes some time.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 29th, 2008 14:00

What wattage is your power supply?

3 Posts

June 29th, 2008 16:00

It's the defult 90w power supply that comes with the D610. 

I did some looking around on the Dell site and found some possible solutions for my problem and I'm going to try those out and see if they work.  I'll let you all know what I find out.

3 Posts

July 1st, 2008 15:00

I have a Vostro 1500 with the same problem.  Did you get any resolution to your problem?

2 Posts

July 1st, 2008 17:00

Both batteries will charge when the laptop is in the docking station, but not when attached to the adapter.  I borrowed a co-workers adapter and his did not work either.  So what is the next step?

1 Message

March 13th, 2009 21:00

Anyone have a solution for this problem?  I have bought a new adapter and a new battery - still have a problem. 

1.6K Posts

March 14th, 2009 04:00

This is the replacement part you need:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=5696

4 Posts

October 4th, 2013 05:00

I have the same problem (battery not charging in laptop) on a D610 which has a 1400x1050 screen.

Before I buy a new motherboard, I have a couple of old 1024x768 D610s in full working order: can I swap one of their motherboards, and will they support the hi-res screen. Or do I need to buy a motherboard with specific support for the hi-res screen?

May 31st, 2014 00:00

i had the same battery issue but it has no concerns with battery or battery charger :emotion-1: but the battery driver might be faulty so all you need to do is to open CONTROL PANEL,then click on SYSTEM AND SECURITY,then under SYSTEM heading you would find DEVICE MANAGER option click on it and then double click on BATTERIES,then some options will appear which will include an option containing the words AC ADAPTER,then right click on it and click the option of DISABLE and restart the computer and follow the whole method again but now instead of DISABLE a word of ENABLE will appear click on it and the problem is solved but if still the problem is not solve so then right click on the AC ADAPTER and uninstall that driver and then reinstall it this will solve the problem.WISH YOU GOOD LUCK :emotion-11:

October 24th, 2014 23:00

i tried both things u suggested and neither worked....what do i do... i needd to be able to get my battery to charge

1 Message

November 30th, 2014 03:00

check the charger. missing spike in the middle of the connector. motherboard does not recognize that the charger is connected.

No Events found!