Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

November 12th, 2004 13:00

Battery won't charge while the computer is running, but will charge when it is turned off

I've never seen this happen before with any laptop, and it wasn't true of this one until earlier this week. The battery will NOT charge while I use the computer, BUT, if I shutdown, the battery will charge just fine. Up until 1 week ago the battery would recharge while I was working on the computer and the AC plugged in, now, the only way to charge the battery is to plug it into the AC while the computer is turned off.

I have noticed that it will not charge in standby mode either, off means either shutdown or Hibernating.

I can't find a battery option in the BIOS and I can't find any switch inside windows to inhibit battery charging.

What do I do to fix this problem.

The battery life is no longer what it used to be, it only lasts about 1:15 when fully charged, but that is quite often enough, however this not charging makes it hard to get an 1:15 of use since the battery starts at the point it was the last time I turned it off.

Mark Jones

2.6K Posts

November 12th, 2004 18:00

mark0978,

Thank you for using Dell's Community Forum.

It could be that the AC adaptor needs to be replaced.
You should contact us

7 Posts

November 15th, 2004 20:00

I tried another Adapter from another Inspiron 5100 and it doesn't charge the battery either, so that seems to not be the problem. Is there a setting to keep the battery from charging?

2 Posts

November 19th, 2004 11:00

I am having the exact same problem with my Inspiron 1100 (about 2 years old). Sometimes when it is on, the battery LED flashes alternating amber and green. However, when off, it flashes the normal green that it is charging. I've update my virus scan & it seems to be working fine. ANy help would be greatly appreciated!!
-Emre

7 Posts

November 19th, 2004 13:00

@DELL-Corey wrote:
mark0978,

Thank you for using Dell's Community Forum.

It could be that the AC adaptor needs to be replaced.
You should contact us

Hey Corey,

Did you see my last reply? Any guesses? Now someone else reports seeing the same problem? What good is a forum if you can't get any help on it?

Mark
No Events found!