Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2012 11:00

Beep codes and Diagnostic Error Code on Inspiron M5030

Hi All,

Just finished installing a replacement motherboard in this Inspiron M5030 laptop. The original problem was no power to laptop, no fan, no boot. Tried another known working Dell AC adapter i had and no luck with it. Tried removing Optical drive, Memory modules one at a time and ran diagnostic on hard drive after removing it and putting in another computer. Still could not get laptop to boot.

I now have a different issue where i can not get a display on the LCD. I am able to hook up an external LCD and get the display to work on it.

I was able to run the Dell diagnostics and im getting an error code of 0413. The code means LCD cable not detected. I reseated the cable and still have the same issue. The cable and connector look fine and none of the pins look damaged.

Im getting what appears to be 2 different BIOS beep codes when first starting the laptop. The first one is a series of 3 short beeps, followed by 2 quick beeps and then repeats. This happens several times and then i get 8 beeps which repeat several times as well. Beep codes stop and it does boot to the Windows 7 login screen on the external LCD.

Im able to stay at the Windows 7 Login screen without issue for over 15 mins. I have tried entering the BIOS to attempt changing the Service Tag, but the laptop shuts off after a minute or 2. Same thing if i hit F12 and dont make a choice.

So something more than the LCD cable seems to be at fault here. Looking at the Service Manual from here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insM5030/en/sm/display.htm#wp1109848 its hard to tell if the LCD connector has a plug on the end that goes to the display. I hate to take the display all apart just to find out there isnt. Im leaning towards to it being a refurb lemon motherboard. Before i jump through the hoops of getting it replaced, i thought i would get someone elses opinion.

4 Posts

February 4th, 2012 12:00

Beep codes from m5030 manual found here: <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Beep Code Possible Problem

One - Possible system board failure or BIOS ROM checksum failure

Two - No RAM detected

NOTE: If you installed or

replaced the memory module,

ensure that the memory module

is seated properly.

Three - Possible system board failure or Chipset error

Four - RAM read/write failure

Five - Real Time Clock failure

Six - Video card or chip failure

Seven - Processor failure

Eight - Display failure

1 Message

December 29th, 2012 08:00

Hi, 

I am Nikul same here problem for the my Dell Inspiron M5030 laptop.

4 Posts

December 31st, 2012 04:00

Sorry Nikul never got it working. Replaced motherboard as i said and also the cable for the LCD and still no luck.

Good luck with your repairs. Please post back if your able to get it fixed.

1 Message

January 5th, 2013 16:00

Sorry to say that my M5030 did the exact same thing a week ago, waiting for ideas from DELL but looks like you have tried everything.  If I hear differently will let you know.  Good Luck!!

November 5th, 2013 08:00

Try the oven trick here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19436289.aspx

Worked for me.  Left it to cool overnight.

1 Message

June 10th, 2015 15:00

Seven Beeps is Not CPU Failure its Gpu failure in my experience and can be fixed by using a soldering heat gun to re-flow the chip as a temporary fix sometimes permanent

2 Posts

June 20th, 2016 11:00

I was trying to replace my hard drive and after I turned on my computer it gave me 7 beeps signifying a processor failure. I have a dell inspiron m5030 and was trying to look for maybe a replacement part without spending $150 is there a way to find it cheaper maybe...

No Events found!