Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2013 16:00

Booting error 'Checking Media [Fail]'

Hi,

My recently purchased Dell XPS 14 laptop has started  throwing weird error  'Checking Media [Fail]'  at booting time and fails to boot.I ran diagnostics but no errors found.I did few trails like enabling Legacy boot ,changing boot device order..etc but nothing has worked out.Could some body shed some light on it please.

My system make : Dell XPS 14

Bios Version : A13

3 Posts

July 30th, 2013 07:00

Thanks Allan for your help..I have a problem of find right options as given in thread by Mather Francis ,

1. Hit F2 right when the Dell Logo pops up.

2. Use your arrow keys to move to the tab named "Boot"

3. Select, with the arrow keys so that the text named "UEFI Boot" is White colored in font.

4. Navigate to the bottom, where it should say Windows Boot Manager

5. Hit F5 or 56, to move it up and down the list until you get the settings to be like:

Windows Boot Manager

UEFI Onboard LAN IPv4

UEFI Onboard LAN IPv6

6. Hit F10, and your system will reboot, without that annoying message showing up.

I am not able to find an option  'Windows Boot Manager '  in UEFI Boot menu.I have only two options i. UEFI Onboard LAN IPv4,UEFI Onboard LAN IPv6

As I missing something here?

1 Message

March 17th, 2014 11:00

Hi Ellie,

Had the same issue you did, try saving your changes and exiting after you make the change to AHCI. If you go back into the boot menu after this you should see the Windows Boot Manager as an option under UEFI. Hope this helps.

Matt

1 Message

November 23rd, 2014 19:00

Allan, I want to thank you for providing the steps to correct the 'checking media fail' error.   I followed them and corrected the error!  

Regards, Ruth

(sort of savvy computer user)

2.6K Posts

July 30th, 2013 03:00

Hello Ramsind,

Please help me understand if you have run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics

I would also request you to try the steps in this thread mentioned by Mather Francis. It seems to have helped some users. 

Hope this helps!

3 Posts

July 30th, 2013 13:00

I managed to see third option i.e Windows Boot Manager under UEFI Boot menu. What I did was 

1) I changed SATA option to AHCI from Rapid Store technology

2)Then Windows Boot Manager  appreared in UEFI menu ,moved Windows Boot Manager to first position in the list

3)Then reverted SATA to Rapid Store technology

4)Exit & save settings

5)Reboot

Worked like a charm :)

Thank you very much once again

2.6K Posts

July 31st, 2013 10:00

Hello Ramsind,

Thank you for the update. I am glad that the issue is resolved. I appreciate all your efforts in fixing the problem. I would also like to thank you for your co-operation with us and sharing the resolution steps with us which would help other users facing the same problem.

1 Message

March 4th, 2014 18:00

Hi All,

My XPS 14 (just purchased) is throwing me this error. Tried the steps, but cannot find the Windows Boot Manager even after switching to AHCI. Hoping someone can help.

Thanks,

Ellie

1 Message

April 5th, 2014 00:00

I had the same problem. the steps above did not work with me. However after trying them over and over again i decided to try something more 

so after doing those steps I also turned on Legacy boot options after disabling rapid technology settings under advance. 

I did couple a restarts trying that. trying different boot orders and still nothing worked

at the end I reloaded the defaults settings F9 then F10 in the legacy settings and  tried more restarts and still didnt work. 

I was almost going to give up so I changed back all the settings I had back to the original ones including activating the Rapid technology under advance and the UEFI boot also. then used F9 F10 again. and at that time windows boot manager was available once again and the next time i restarted the PC it worked :) 

1 Message

August 26th, 2014 23:00

Hello Matt,

First and foremost i must thank you for sharing this info with us here on the forum cos these error messages can be very frustrating at times. I tried all that was listed and it work for me BUT i can not access my files and documents because my lo gin password is not allowing me to. i still remember my password used very well please what is it that i must have done wrongly trying to reset that "checking Media" error message.

thank you for your prompt reply.

Ande A.

1 Message

November 30th, 2014 15:00

Hi,

Thanks for all information you provided  to fix the problem of " Checking Media Fail", however, I cannot find an option  'Windows Boot Manager '  in UEFI Boot menu. Please, can you tell me how you find it finally because my computer is running with the same problem.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2015 01:00

THANK YOU.................................

1 Message

September 8th, 2015 15:00

This is really helpful because my PC could not reboot but after doing this rearrangement it works again but the media error message shows still, what more can I try please?

2 Posts

July 10th, 2016 21:00

I've done the DST as well as the change the boot order and it's still coming up with the error, is my laptop dead or can it be revived

1 Message

August 8th, 2017 13:00

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestion, I set the boot in the right order and it works for a while, but, then it came back again and I have to reset the boot option. Could be because the default option put Windows Boot Manager as the last option?

Thanks

No Events found!