Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 5th, 2012 08:00

Bought a new dell battery and still my laptop battery doesn't charge!

Hello.

I've been using a Dell inspiron 1545 from about 3 years now and exactly after 2 years of my buy, the battery failed and it started showing me to replace the battery and always notified me about contacting dell for a new battery.

I didn't take this of much concern so i just ignored the message and kept on using my battery with my adapter plugged in. After 4-5 months of such usage, My battery completely failed and doesn't even offer me even a minute of backup, when i remove the power socket. Then i realized the importance of a new battery and then bought a new battery from Dell.

Its the same battery with the same specs and also the same family type. After i removed my defected battery, I replaced my new bought Dell battery and realized that my battery is working fine. its charging well but at some time, it says "Plugged in, But not charging" Which is rare for any new battery, which is bought brand new.

This is how it looks now after i remove the AC adapter plug and when i depend on the battery backup. it is providing me a backup, but I see a yellow exclamatory mark beside it. Which I think should not be present. it also says "Low battery" when there's already 99% of battery left!

I've also followed some online steps

1) updated by BIOS to the latest  2) Followed some other steps like uninstalling the battery ACI in the device manager and etc...

i would love to get this problem solved. I'm using a PA-12 family adapter, which is also a replaced one. So any help on solving the issue would be appreciated.

THANKS!

9 Posts

January 28th, 2013 20:00

Hi Utkarsh. I Actually FIXED this problem months back. and I exactly want to help you on this so that you can fix it yourself too..

the problem which is creating your battery to show an exclamatory mark is your power settings.

so follow these steps to get rid of that sign and a perfectly working battery.

1) Click on your battery icon (left click) you should see an option called " More power options" at the bottom of the popup.

click "More power options"

2) Now you will be taken to your control panel where you can see all of your power plans and under each plan, you will see an option called "Change plan settings"

3) Click on "Change plan settings" for your active power plan. Now you will get redirected to another control panel window, where you can see two kind of power options to get adjusted. that is, when you battery is plugged and when your battery is unplugged.

4) Don't touch those options, just click on "Change advanced power settings" at the bottom left of that window. THIS IS THE AREA WHERE WE NEED TO FIX!

5)After you click on "Change advanced power setttings", you will see a POWER options popup, go to the bottom and then you can see something called "Battery" with a plus sign on the left. click it.

6) Now you just have to change the levels for the following values

--> Critical battery level ( you can change it to 10%)

---> Low battery level ( you can change it to 20%)

Now once that's done, YOU WILL NO LONGER SEE THE EXCLAMATORY MARK ON YOUR BATTERY!!!!

So I hope this works!

Reply me back when you've succeeded fixing it.

9 Posts

September 5th, 2012 09:00

Yes I've checked the BIOS.

It shows my battery as in good condition and displays my adapter as 65W

BUT,

i noticed something weird.

I kept on looking at the stats and suddenly, the adapter was not recognized and then my battery showed "Idle" state.

Thanks for your respnse.

1.8K Posts

Hi Shortshoot,

First of all you can check the status of AC adaptor and battery is BIOS.

• To access the BIOS mode we need to restart the computer.
  • As soon as you see the blue Dell logo start tapping the ‘F2’ key which is at the top of the keyboard.

Note: If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.

• Under 'General' tab, you will see option for 'Battery information'.
  • On that page, you will be able to see the status of battery health and ac adaptor.

You can refer to the image below:

• check the status of battery health and ac adaptor.

You can also try the following steps

• Please let me know the status of light on AC adaptor.
  • Try charging your computer with an alternate good known AC adaptor and see if it works.
  • If it does not work, remove the battery for your computer and disconnect all the external peripherals (like printers, scanners, or any USB device) connected to your computer.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to drain out the residual power.
  • Keep the battery out for atleast 2 - 3 hours.
  • Then insert the battery and charge it overnight with the system powered off.
  • Then power on the computer and see if it works.

If this does not fix the issue, you need to load the BIOS defaults following the steps below:

• To access the BIOS mode we need to restart the computer.
  • As soon as you see the blue Dell logo start tapping the ‘F2’ key which is at the top of the keyboard.
  • Select the options 'Load Defaults' ,
  • Restart your computer and see if it works.

If it does not resolve the issue, you may need to update the BIOS of your computer.

Note: Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:-

• Battery should have 10% or greater charge
  • Adapter should be connected
  • No external devices should be connected.
  • All other programs should be closed and documents saved

You can download BIOS following the same steps as above from the link below:

http://dell.to/OP6XO7 

Steps to download drivers:-

• Click 'Download' to download the list to a folder you will designate.
  • Click 'Save'. Then designate the folder you would like to save the files to.
  • Once you have designated the folder you would like to save your files to, Click 'OK'.
  • Selected downloads will automatically start downloading. Next is Installation.
  • To start installation, Click Open folder. Right-click οn downloaded file and select the option to ‘Run as administrator’.
  • A small window will appear with 'Continue' and 'Exit' buttons, click 'Continue'.
  • In the Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to window, click OK.
  • If a message appears asking to create a folder, click 'Yes'. If a message appears asking to overwrite the folder, click 'Yes to All'.
  • In the All files were successfully unzipped window, click OK.
  • A new window will appear, follow the prompts that appear to finish the installation.
  • Restart your computer.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

9 Posts

I've also updated my BIOS to the latest one.

934 Posts

September 5th, 2012 15:00

Looks like you have an intermittent problem with the power adapter (broken wire) or the power jack (loose connection)

picture of  the power jack

9 Posts

September 6th, 2012 04:00

Actually, I've confirmed that its my battery which is causing the problem or it can be the internal system/board problem too.

because my battery gets charged up to the maximum level (100%) and then, when i unplug the adapter, I see a yellow triangle with an exclamatory mark saying "your battery is low. Please plug in your computer " however, I still see that the battery is holding 99% of power.

Isn't this weird?

THIS IS A NEW BATTERY, WHICH IS NOT EVEN A WEEK OLD.

1.8K Posts

September 6th, 2012 05:00

Hi Shortshoot,

Please check if there is any change in status when you wiggle the AC adapter(when connected to laptop); this would help us check if there is an issue with the power port.

I am adding you as a friend; please accept my friend request and send me a private message with the system Service Tag so that I can check the system warranty details and help you further.

MicroTest: Thank you for the support and suggestions.

Please reply in case you have further questions.

9 Posts

September 6th, 2012 06:00

Well, Okay let's keep the power issues a side.

The problem is the battery is showing me a yellow exclamatory mark and says "Low battery" even though there's still 99% of the battery left. I've bought a new AC Adapter and its charging fine now.

And also this battery is 4 days old now and doesn't give me full backup.

I'm definitely sure that there's something related to the battery which is causing the problems. That's why i see this yellow mark on the bettery. however, The battery health is normal when i checked it.

So, How do i get the battery functioning properly? It should give me atleast a 3 hour backup i guess, because its BRAND  NEW. Again, Please help me resolve this yellow exclamantion termination. I guess that would solve the problem.

Thanks for you help.

1.8K Posts

September 6th, 2012 10:00

Hi Shortshoot,

We can try one more step to isolate if it is an issue with the battery of your computer.

You can install the Dell quickset utility on your computer from the link below:

http://dell.to/R8rC3e

Steps to download drivers:-

• Click 'Download' to download the list to a folder you will designate.
  • Click 'Save'. Then designate the folder you would like to save the files to.
  • Once you have designated the folder you would like to save your files to, Click 'OK'.
  • Selected downloads will automatically start downloading. Next is Installation.
  • To start installation, Click Open folder. Right-click a downloaded file and select the option to ‘Run as administrator’.
  • A small window will appear with 'Continue' and 'Exit' buttons, click 'Continue'.
  • In the Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to window, click OK.
  • If a message appears asking to create a folder, click 'Yes'. If a message appears asking to overwrite the folder, click 'Yes to All'.
  • In the All files were successfully unzipped window, click OK.
  • A new window will appear, follow the prompts that appear to finish the installation.
  • Restart your computer.  

Once the system restarts:

• Click on Windows logo on desktop.
  • Type 'Power options' in search bar above that.
  • Click on Power Options.
  • Check for the 'Battery Health Meter' among the different options on the left side of window.
  • Check for battery health and check if the battery charging is disabled.
  • Uncheck the box for 'Turn off the battery charging' if it is checked.
  • Restart your computer to check if the issue is fixed.  

If the issue still exists and battery is under warranty, we will replace it for you.

In order to assist you in a better way, please private message me the following details:

• Service Tag of your computer.
  • Order# of the battery you purchased from Dell.
  • Name on the account(Who purchased the battery and computer).
  • Primary phone# and best time to reach you during the day.

Keep me posted with the results.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 6th, 2012 11:00

What's the Dell part number on the battery?

9 Posts

This is exactly what the problem is. Why I'm really shocked is, I had a battery which was completely not working so, I bought a new one from a retailer exactly 3 days back. And then installed the battery and saw if my problem was solved.

But these are the exact problems i found.

1) The battery is charging well to its maximum, but when i unplug the charger.. it shows me something like this. In this picture actually, I have 92% of battery charge, but still i don't think I should get this alert saying "your battery is low" (I suppose i should get this alert if my battery is holding around 25% or less)

2) When i unplug the charger, The laptop uses up the battery power from 99% to  85% and then suddenly, It shuts down. Then i will have to restart and then it shows me a message saying "The battery was into its critical state" and asks me to resume windows.

I know that i can't keep the laptop plugged in always. and this will deteriorate the battery. So please help me.

So, I'm not sure why a new battery is causing such problem. 

I've tried your above steps and restarted my laptop, but nothing worked. I still see the same alert again and again. I'm worried if I need to replace my laptop and buy a new one.. Because, its my second battery and just 4 days old. and if a new battery is causing such problems, then i think its very very weird.

So, please check the above image and post any support, on which i can fix this. Are you even sure that replacing my battery would do the job? because the battery I'm using now is already a new one which is just 4 days old!

So, before taking any step, i would like to make sure everything's fine. 

9 Posts

I see some specs here but don't know which one's right.

it says

TYPE: X284G

January 28th, 2013 10:00

hi chinmay...this is utkarsh..actually i am facing exactly the same problem..he had....my inspiron 1545 is about 3.5 yrs old..battery backup was totally down,charger also showd plugged in but  not charging ,replaced my old battry n charger and bought a new dell battery and charger..but  that yellow exclamatory sign always showing your battery is low even if 99% and shut down problem after 40 percnt battery used...can you please tell me  i fixed this problem...it will be very kind of you ...and one more thing my battery and charger  is ok  as they are working fine on other dell laptops....and i have also updated my bios or the other things you have said..thnkyou

January 28th, 2013 10:00

hi dude...this is utkarsh..actually i m facing exactly the same problem..u had.my inspiron 1545 is about 3.5 yrs old..battery backup was totally down,charger also showd plugged in but  not charging ,replaced my old battry n charger..but still that yellow exclamatory sign and shut down problem after 40 percnt battery used...can you please tell me how  you fixed your this problem...it will be very kind of you ...and one more thing my battery is ok perhaps as it is working fine on other dell laptops....

January 28th, 2013 21:00

thanks man..you are the life saver...was really annoying to be always wary of your computer being shutdown anytime despite having a brand new battery ..dealers and dell even adviced to change the motherboard..:D but thanks to this  dell community..i found you..'the saviour' :) serosly thanks a ton for your help..it was really nice of you..:)

No Events found!