Highlighted

Buzzing/Grinding/Popping/Stuttering noise coming from speakers for Dell Inspiron N7110.

Jump to solution

This is a similar problem I'm reading ALL over the forums, and I've tried ALL the suggestions from those posts that say they work. Sadly, there's no problem for MY laptop model, it's always for some 15-- something.

I get a buzzing/grinding/popping/stuttering noise when I listen to music, when I watch YouTube videos, or do much of anything that requires sound. It comes through the laptop speakers, any headphones I use, and even when I plug in speakers to use. I've tried everything; rolling back drivers, updating drivers, installing some Rapid somethingsomething thing from Intel, I'm becoming desperate. It's been going on for two or more weeks now, and I'm at my wit's end.

My computer model is a Dell Inspiron N7110 with Windows 7 64bit.

Seeing as there's no other forum posts about this problem with this model, I don't exactly have a place to turn without actually posting something about it.

0 Kudos
34 Replies
Jim Coates
Diamond

Re: Buzzing/Grinding/Popping/Stuttering noise coming from speakers for Dell Inspiron N7110.

Jump to solution

I've tried everything

Have you tried restoring the computer to the original factory configuration? If you did not have the problem when you first received the laptop, the restoration will fix it. (Page 70 of the Setup Guide -- Factory Image Restore).

If the restoration fixes it, that means that some configuration change caused the problem, most likely an update. If you keep track of future updates you can discover which one triggers the problem when it recurs.

If the restoration does not fix it and the computer did not originally have the problem, that means that a hardware problem has developed.

Jim Coates -- 14 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

Re: Buzzing/Grinding/Popping/Stuttering noise coming from speakers for Dell Inspiron N7110.

Jump to solution

Is it a document on the computer? I don't think my computer came with any documents in the box, unless I misplaced them Smiley Sad

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Ah, nevermind, I've found them. I'll give this a look and a try.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yup, been playing music and all sorts of other sound for a few straight hours, no nothin'. Looking at the Microsoft Updates, I'm pretty sure where it all went downhill. Only installing Security Updates from now on. I had hoped there was a way to fix it without having to reformat, but. Ah well, it's all fixed now.

Thank you so much for the help!

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Diamond

Jump to solution

It's a shame that the so called updates trash one's audio. I am starting to think of audio as being like a canary in a coalmine, meaning it's the first to go.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Alright, so. It 's back again. Not nearly as frequently as the last time, but it's still back nonetheless. :\ I've only installed security updates from Microsoft, I haven't done anything wonky with the drivers or anything, and I wanna avoid a full system factory restore again.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Diamond

Jump to solution

No, you can't factory restore the laptop twice a month without going bonkers. Try using System Restore. If that doesn't help the only things I can think of are

> run the Dell Diagnostics audio tests to make sure a hardware problem has not developed. If  you hear the noise while the tests are running that would mean it's in the hardware. But probably the tests won't run long enough for the noise to appear.

> If the noise only occurs while running on batteries then you should change the power management settings.

> try the things that people have suggested in this L502x thread.these included uninstalling McAfee or disabling its firewall, making a Registry edit that affects the nVidia driver, checking the number of cores running (this suggestion also is in this L701x/702x thread), and other suggestions.

There are other threads out there. I know you have seen them. Sorry I don't have the answer.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Amaterasu011,

Is Google Chrome installed? It has been doing some strange things to other items, like printers, Dell dock, etc. It might also be causing the problem.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

No, I don't use Google Chrome, I use Mozilla Firefox.

0 Kudos