Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 29th, 2011 14:00

Buzzing/Grinding/Popping/Stuttering noise coming from speakers for Dell Inspiron N7110.

This is a similar problem I'm reading ALL over the forums, and I've tried ALL the suggestions from those posts that say they work. Sadly, there's no problem for MY laptop model, it's always for some 15-- something.

I get a buzzing/grinding/popping/stuttering noise when I listen to music, when I watch YouTube videos, or do much of anything that requires sound. It comes through the laptop speakers, any headphones I use, and even when I plug in speakers to use. I've tried everything; rolling back drivers, updating drivers, installing some Rapid somethingsomething thing from Intel, I'm becoming desperate. It's been going on for two or more weeks now, and I'm at my wit's end.

My computer model is a Dell Inspiron N7110 with Windows 7 64bit.

Seeing as there's no other forum posts about this problem with this model, I don't exactly have a place to turn without actually posting something about it.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 30th, 2011 17:00

I've tried everything

Have you tried restoring the computer to the original factory configuration? If you did not have the problem when you first received the laptop, the restoration will fix it. (Page 70 of the Setup Guide -- Factory Image Restore).

If the restoration fixes it, that means that some configuration change caused the problem, most likely an update. If you keep track of future updates you can discover which one triggers the problem when it recurs.

If the restoration does not fix it and the computer did not originally have the problem, that means that a hardware problem has developed.

December 2nd, 2011 11:00

Is it a document on the computer? I don't think my computer came with any documents in the box, unless I misplaced them :(

December 2nd, 2011 11:00

Ah, nevermind, I've found them. I'll give this a look and a try.

December 2nd, 2011 20:00

Yup, been playing music and all sorts of other sound for a few straight hours, no nothin'. Looking at the Microsoft Updates, I'm pretty sure where it all went downhill. Only installing Security Updates from now on. I had hoped there was a way to fix it without having to reformat, but. Ah well, it's all fixed now.

Thank you so much for the help!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 2nd, 2011 21:00

It's a shame that the so called updates trash one's audio. I am starting to think of audio as being like a canary in a coalmine, meaning it's the first to go.

December 19th, 2011 21:00

Alright, so. It 's back again. Not nearly as frequently as the last time, but it's still back nonetheless. :\ I've only installed security updates from Microsoft, I haven't done anything wonky with the drivers or anything, and I wanna avoid a full system factory restore again.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 20th, 2011 05:00

Amaterasu011,

Is Google Chrome installed? It has been doing some strange things to other items, like printers, Dell dock, etc. It might also be causing the problem.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 20th, 2011 05:00

No, you can't factory restore the laptop twice a month without going bonkers. Try using System Restore. If that doesn't help the only things I can think of are

> run the Dell Diagnostics audio tests to make sure a hardware problem has not developed. If  you hear the noise while the tests are running that would mean it's in the hardware. But probably the tests won't run long enough for the noise to appear.

> If the noise only occurs while running on batteries then you should change the power management settings.

> try the things that people have suggested in this L502x thread.these included uninstalling McAfee or disabling its firewall, making a Registry edit that affects the nVidia driver, checking the number of cores running (this suggestion also is in this L701x/702x thread), and other suggestions.

There are other threads out there. I know you have seen them. Sorry I don't have the answer.

December 21st, 2011 01:00

No, I don't use Google Chrome, I use Mozilla Firefox.

1 Message

March 29th, 2012 14:00

What was the problem, because I have the the same problem on my Dell inspiron N5030 laptop. Some strange buzzing noise comes from the speaker randomly everytime I play any kind of sound from my computer. 

8 Posts

April 20th, 2012 05:00

I have the same problem with n7110 laptop with i7 processor, Nvidia 525 graphics.

For months I try, I re-installed a couple of times windows 7 64 bit, installed all new drivers and BIOS update, but nothing helped. I do not think the problem with the sound, because sometimes the normal mode as I type, start freezing, but not completely, but at intervals. I know that I'm not the only one who has these problems with this model, but no one has yet found a solution. I ask colleagues from Dell, to find a solution. I like Dell products, but this disappointed me a model. Even the few friends I have recommended this model and almost all have the same problem.

Is it hardware or software problem, I do not know, but please help.

thank you

3 Posts

April 24th, 2012 07:00

I've bought Dell Inspiron n5110 recently and I'm having the same problem. When I listen to a music or playing some game I can hear some strange noise, that last for 1s. It happens approximately every 10-15 minutes. I found on some forum that problem is maybe caused by wireless card, so you can try disabling wireless card. My friend has bought 17r Inspiron (i7 processor) and he is getting the same weird noise from time to time. Dell should be ashamed because of this error.

88 Posts

August 11th, 2012 07:00

I've been building and repairing computers since the early 1990's I'm betting this is the sound chip in the machine picking up Buss Noise created by the hard drive on the system buss.  You used to see it on desktops occasionally.  The sound chip in the 17R and I'm betting other models using the same motherboard, is a generic piece o doo doo.  There's a reason you find the brand on just about everything with built in sound....it's cheap.  When I build a desktop the first thing I do is shut it off and put in a soundblaster card.  In the past the fix was a bios update and sometimes drivers.  Windows might provide it's own driver for the sound chip which might be the issue, someplace along the line MS is putting in their own driver which is creating the problem.  The company that makes the sound chip has a home page and generic drivers for the various OS, you may look to see if they have any reports of such things and try their generic driver.  My 17R hasn't show this problem yet...and I hope it doesn't what a pain.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 11th, 2012 09:00

The sound chip in the 17R and I'm betting other models using the same motherboard, is a generic piece o doo doo.

The laptop models discussed in this thread use the following brands and versions of audio chips:

N5110 -- IDT 92HD87
17R (N7110) -- Realtek ALC269
17R (5720) -- IDT 92HD94
N5030 -- Realtek ALC269Q-VB5

There's a reason you find the brand on just about everything with built in sound....it's cheap.  

Dell currently uses IDT, Realtek, and Conexant. Could it be that they use these because they are vendors of these products? I don't believe Creative offers this type of product.

Windows might provide it's own driver for the sound chip which might be the issue, someplace along the line MS is putting in their own driver which is creating the problem.

There is a native HD audio driver in Vista and 7. If the IDT or Realtek's driver are completely removed -- that means uninstalling AND removing their files -- then upon reboot Windows is forced to install the native driver (supplied by Intel). I don't know of any other way to get the native driver to install.

The company that makes the sound chip has a home page and generic drivers for the various OS,

That's true for Realtek, but IDT does not supply drivers directly to consumers.

It's been about 8 months since the last time I posted in this thread. There are many reasons for audio noise and glitching. This year the most "popular" causes have been the firewall in McAfee anti-virus (needs to be disabled) and a bad Microsoft update of Intel Rapid Storage driver (the driver has to be downloaded directly from Intel, not through Microsoft updates). Sometimes noises are caused by audio chips or their drivers, but those are among the rarer causes of the problems.

3 Posts

August 11th, 2012 10:00

I have solved problem by disabling Net Guard in McAfee antivirus. My friend also has solved stuttering noise by disabling this option in McAfee antivirus. Regards.

No Events found!