Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2013 08:00

CD/DVD player will not open or eject when pushed on

Is there a secret to getting my cd player on my Inspiron 5421 to open/eject?  I have had my dell laptop since April and the disc drive won't open/eject.             

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 10th, 2013 08:00

On my Latitude 5420 I find that I have to be sure to get a finger right on the little button on the drive "door". If I just push in somewhere in the vicinity of the button often it will not open on the first try.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 31st, 2017 18:00

Hello Jen.

Shut down the laptop and start it up again. As soon as you press the power button, press the cd door's release button, before anythin appears on the screen.

That might not work. This is a common problem with optical drives so most come with an emergency release. Look for a small hole in the door. If you see a hole, get a paper clip, straighten it a bit, and insert one end of it gently into the hole. If this works, the door will pop open a bit. If the door does not pop open, pry open the door with the fingernails of your other hand, or use a small thin-bladed tool.

Not all of the Dell laptop optical drives have the release hole. If yours doesn't, then press in the release button in the exact center, while pulling the door open with the other hand.

As a last resort, you can remove the cd drive from the laptop and open the case, and remove whatever is making the door stick shut.

7 Posts

August 10th, 2013 12:00

It is opening more often.  Thanks for the tip.

3.3K Posts

August 10th, 2013 14:00

Hi harryb50,

Refer the following link which has steps to resolve the issue:

http://dell.to/1eACGgM

If the issue persists, we might need to replace the drive.

If the computer has active warranty I shall go ahead and arrange for a service.

Check warranty status: http://dell.to/10pMa86

Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

May 31st, 2017 17:00

I need to know how to get the Cd drive open the computer is off keeps rebooting in diagnose repair mode I need to reload windows someone from Dell said but I can Cd drive to open when it's off or turned on

Please help

Jen

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 31st, 2017 18:00

Jen, if you reply back, please include the full model name of the laptop. That information could help someone to help you.

1 Message

June 18th, 2017 17:00

Jimco .... thank you so much for continuing to answer this question .... it was most helpful today! Thanks, again!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 19th, 2017 05:00

You are certainly welcome!  Thanks for posting.

No Events found!