Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 3rd, 2013 14:00

Camera/Video Recorder says "something went wrong" when trying to use/take photos.

I have a Dell Inspiron 3520 running the Windows 8 system. When i try to take pictures/videos using the integrated camera i get the message "something went wrong while taking this photo/recording. I have checked the drivers and they are working and up to date. Also none of my windows folders dont work,for example when i try to open a music or pictures folder i get the error message informing me that "this folder does not exist. Is this a software malfunction or something more sinister. I have only had this laptop 4 weeks. Security is working and up to date.

3.3K Posts

May 7th, 2013 00:00

Hi allib35,

When you take a picture or caputure a video, it should automatically get saved in My document (My Pictures/My video) folder.

Refer the following link for “something went wrong while taking this photo/recording”:

http://bit.ly/11dXNoG

Also, check if the Windows folder (My documents) is accessible in safemode:

• Hold the Shift button and mash the F8 key, this will sometimes boot you into the new advanced “recovery mode”.
  • Click on the Troubleshoot option
  • Select Advanced Options
  • Now choose the Windows Startup Settings option, by the looks of things we were never meant to find Safe Mode.
  • Finally hit the Restart button.

When your PC reboots you will be able to boot into Safe Mode.

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

May 24th, 2013 20:00

I have had the exact same problem just a month after I got my laptop as well. Nothing has worked since regarding the non-existent folders for whatever reason, and the camera app not working. Please let me know if you find an effective solution

3.3K Posts

May 28th, 2013 04:00

Hi lillady2,

Check if the webcam is detected in Device manager.

• Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Check if webcam is detected under imaging device.

If the webcam is not working, I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the webcam drivers.

To uninstall the Dell webcam central software, perform the following steps:

1. Click Start.
  2. Click Control Panel.
  3. Using the drop-down menu next to View by: in the upper-right corner, select Large Icons.
  4. Click Programs and Features.
  5. Click Dell Webcam Central.
  6. Click Uninstall.
  7. Confirm the uninstall process by clicking OK.
  8. Once uninstalled restart the computer.

I have provided a link below to reinstall the webcam drivers.

http://dell.to/YZkDs3

Please follow below mentioned steps to set/change the destination folders:

• Right-click photo or a video in the Gallery Window, the following context menu pops up.
  • Right-click an empty area between the photos or videos in the Gallery Window, the following context menu will pop up.
  • Select Photo & Video Folders Button
  • Select Photo & Video Folders Button the following dialog pops up.
  • The default Photo Folder to save the snapped photos is at the "Dell WebCam Central 2.0" sub-folder under the user's Pictures folder.

The default Video Folder to save the recorded videos is at the "Dell WebCam Central 2.0" sub-folder under the user's Videos folder.

Also, run diagnostics on webcam.

http://dell.to/10DYWzX

Under component select "camera" and click on Run diagnostics.

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!