Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

A

3 Posts

May 19th, 2008 17:00

Can I use an external graphics card on my laptop?

I have an Inspiron 6400 with an ExpressCard slot. I bought it without thinking too much about the graphics card, which I found was a mistake when it came to gaming.

I'm just wondering if there is such a way to use the ExpressCard slot as an 'external graphics card' slot, i.e, I can get my laptop to see the the graphics card, and tell the screen to use that instead of the integrated piece of parc its using at the moment.

Thanks for your help, to anyone who has it.

1.8K Posts

May 19th, 2008 19:00

I don't think there are any external graphics cards available for use in a laptop yet.  If you find one, do post back with details and somebody will tell you whether it will work on your computer or not.

3 Posts

May 19th, 2008 21:00

I would have thought producing one would be fairly easy. I'm not familiar with the insides of a laptop - I know the very basics, i.e, the bits that can be worked out using common sense, but I would have thought that technology of our time would enable such a thing as an external graphics card to exist for a laptop. Surely its just a matter of taking the technology used in a computer where the graphics card is easily removable, and compacting it so it fits inside a laptop? Or am i grossly under-estimating the processes involved?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 19th, 2008 21:00

I have been looking for one for a while, nvidia should really make one they'd get loads of sales.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 19th, 2008 22:00

The only one that has been publicly rumored is the ASUS XG Station, and that has been in development for well over a year and a half - and it still has not been released.

I suspect the engineering is not trivial - ASUS is one of the best computer engineering firms in the world - if not the best out there - and it seems to have had trouble producing one of these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XG_Station

2.8K Posts

May 19th, 2008 23:00

ejn63 is correct. Today's mid to high-end video cards require a direct power connection to the PSU & virtually all interact with system RAM. It's no small undertaking to create an external one.  Unruly Computer

3.6K Posts

May 20th, 2008 01:00

No Events found!