Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2011 19:00

Can't Connect Laptop to TV with HDMI

I've been trying to connect my Dell Studio to my Philips HDTV with a HDMI-HDMI cable, however my laptop does not recognize that an external monitor is attached.

I've tried using several different HDMI cables so I don't believe that's the problem.  I have my television set to the correct source.  I've tried hitting the F1 button on my keyboard to select a dual monitor display setting, however changing it doesn't matter because the television is not recognized.  I have connected my laptop to another TV using HDMI-HDMI in the past.  I am able to connect to this television using a VGA cable.

I'm not sure what other steps I could try taking.  Is there a setting on my computer or on my television that I need to change in order for my laptop to recognize the external monitor?

Thanks for any help.

5 Posts

November 19th, 2011 11:00

For what it's worth:

My problem had to do with my laptop's fan malfunctioning, causing overheating.  This eventually made my laptop's backlight turn off, which forced me to look into the problem.  Once the fan was fixed, the HDMI worked with no problems.

Helpful Video (if Fan related) -

5 Posts

August 14th, 2011 15:00

Computer Model: Dell Studio 1558

Ok, when I open Display in the Control Panel all I see is:

- Adjust resolution

- Adjust brightness

- Calibrate color

- Change display settings

- Connect to a projector

- Adjust ClearType text

- Set custom text size (DPI)

"Change display settings" brings me to the Screen Resolution screen that doesn't recognize the external monitor.

"Connect to a projector" shows the pop up for "computer only," "duplicate," "extend," and "projector only."  These don't do anything though since the television isn't recognized.  I do have the HDMI source selected and not PC.

Windows Help told me to shut down my computer, attach the HDMI to the TV, turn on the TV, and then turn on my computer.  However, that still did not get me an image.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

August 14th, 2011 15:00

You should mention your operating system and exact computer model. Open Display in Control Panel (or your video software if you have that) and see if you can select external display or switch to HDMI. When you say you have the correct input selected, make sure it is one of the HDMI inputs, not the PC input which is only for the vga port. Read the info in Windows Help about Connecting a TV to see what you might have missed.You should also check the Philips tv manual.

5 Posts

August 15th, 2011 17:00

I've tried contacting Philips and they can't find any problems with how I'm connecting to the television.  Anyone have any other ideas for what I could be overlooking on my laptop?

2.2K Posts

August 15th, 2011 21:00

Do you have another HDMI devide to connect to the TV to verify that:

A) The correct HDMI port is selected on your TV

B) that the particular HDMI port on your TV is not defective

5 Posts

August 15th, 2011 22:00

Yeah there are 2 HDMI ports on my TV.  I've tried both.  And someone else used this TV as a dual monitor before I got a hold of it, so unless the port went bad very recently then I don't think that's the problem.

1 Message

November 19th, 2011 10:00

I found that a 15ft "Rosewill" brand HDMI cable does not work with my Dell Inspiron and Sony Bravia LCD TV(no recognition of either).Yet,a 5 ft. "Rosewill" brand HDMI cable works fine.If it is working,you can right click the desktop and it will give you options of connecting to "DIGITAL TV".(with a little searching).Hope this is of help to someone out there.

1 Message

December 16th, 2011 23:00

Solution is here http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13974_102-543610/unable-to-mirror-dell-xps-15z-s-display-on-a-hd-tv/

Basically you need to configure the display through the Nvidia control panel (right click on your desktop)

This worked for me :)

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 22:00

I am having the same problem, however, I do not have NVIDIA, I have Intel HD 3000, Dell Inspiron 15R 5512 Windows 7.

Here is my thread, please help!!! I will attach video soon!

7 Posts

February 23rd, 2013 04:00

I would love to assist, but I am a member as well. I would suggest you contact Dell Support, or provide your service tag here, so techs that view this forum can get a good picture of what you have

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2013 14:00

Inspiron 15R N5110

Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> that is my service tag.

7 Posts

February 23rd, 2013 14:00

oops remove that. It is a violation on Terms of Use, Sorry. I found out the hard way too

1 Message

December 16th, 2013 21:00

I am facing the same problem! Dell Studio 1555 laptop. I selected HDMI1 on the Toshiba TV. In Control Panel>Display, I cannot select an external display. Any advice will  be welcome. Thanks

1 Message

March 10th, 2017 22:00

If you right click your desktop it will show Graphics Options. Under that there is an Option to select Output to:   Built-in Display, Digital TV, Clone Display, Extended Desktop. If you want to display to a TV choose Digital TV and the output will be shown there ( but not you Laptop display ).  You can use extended desktop or clone displays to show to both.

No Events found!