Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2011 17:00

Can you Manually disable Integrated graphics?

i have a brand new dell xps 15, and i have a 2gb graphic card in the system, but the main display is the intel integrated card. is there anyway to disable this at all? because its even stopping me from playing a game i have because it says i do not meet the minimum requirements, but the game was out like 2-3 years ago and i can play crysis 2 on max setting.

please help if anyone knows

3.6K Posts

April 28th, 2011 13:00

Hey Royan,

The Intel integrated chip is NOT disabled by default.I have an XPS 17 L702X and have the same problem,the Intel chip is constanly being used and no way to get the nVidia chip set to use a program?I have been working at this for the past 24 hours and CAN NOT get that darn nvidia chip to run with any program,i ran 3D Mark06 and it too states Intel HD 3000 and then has the important problem info. your score is well below the system specs?Ran 3D Mark Vantage Pro and same problem.I just don't believe at this point there is any way to get the nvidia chip in use.

3.8K Posts

April 28th, 2011 13:00

Hi Nickcartwright15,

Welcome to the Community. By default the integrated video card is disabled when there is Graphics card installed. So there is no option to disable the integrated video card.

Thank you

Royan

3.8K Posts

April 28th, 2011 14:00

Hi Dgkpcon,

The Dell XPS L501X is equipped with nVidia’s Optimus technology. The Optimus technology is designed to maximize performance and user experience on the computer, while minimizing the impact on battery life. It combines the graphic processing capability of the integrated Intel® graphic processing unit (GPU) with the discrete nVidia GPU while running graphic-intensive applications such as 3-D games. The nVidia GPU is turned on only for preset applications and thus extends the battery life.

At any point in time, users can control which setting Optimus will use with a particular title or application by referencing the Optimus Application Profile list within the NVIDIA Control Panel. Open the Nvidia Control panel, choose Manage 3D settings under the 3D settings section. Customers can choose low profile settings for applications that do not require high-end graphics and in turn save on power consumption. For multi-media and gaming which require high end graphics the user can change the graphics features and experience the best high definition view.

Users can also create application profiles for any application on the computer. This may be required for newly released games or applications that do not have a default application profile.

To create a new profile for an application:

1. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel.
  2. Select Manage 3D Settings.
  3. Select Program Settings tab
  4. Click Add button.
  5. Browse to and select the application executable that needs the new profile.
  6. Or choose the preferred application from the drop menu.
  7. Select the features and settings you wish to change for this application.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

3.6K Posts

April 28th, 2011 14:00

I understand what your saying,i have set and added the programs i want the nvidia chip to use but it is of no use.Even the apps. iset to use it constantly are STILL using the Intel no matter what i do.I am really confused with this new technology.I know what is,and what it is used for,however it is not working when i set programs to use the oposite chip?

3.6K Posts

April 28th, 2011 15:00

Hello nickcartwright15,

I have successfully installed the new nVidia driverif you are talking about 270.61? Here is the link  http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-270.61-whql-driver.html  .DO NOT uninstall any previous driver,as the install proccess does that during install.It took about 3 minutes for it to complete.It does have support for the new hybrid graphics.

EDIT: Getting them to work the way you want is another story?

well for some reason my 2 other posts were removed. but yea it is the 270.61 nvidia update, but it says this graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.

the problem i have with this answer is that it is completely useless. your telling me the card switches automatically when needed,but the game im trying to run wont run because it says i dont meet the minimum requirements because the stupid card wont switch at all. the game is also from like 2007 and i have no problem running games at max setting that just came out. there has to be some way to remove the intel integrated driver.

i also cant install the newest nvidia driver because it says it cant find a compatible driver.

May 8th, 2011 02:00

Sounds Like you should start over\ Restore factory settings, then try manipulating the optimus settings to suit your needs. youve probably created conflicts by trying to instal and or remove nescessary drivers YOU DO NOT WANT TO REMOVE THE INTEL GRAPHICS OPTIONS OR DISABLE

174 Posts

May 14th, 2011 23:00

Go to Nvidia Control Panel.  At top Click on Desktop (or View). Check all boxes.  This will provide a choice of which graphics processor to use by right clicking the game or other program.  The GPU Activity in the Notification Area of the task bar will show which programs are using the Nvidia GPU.   You may want to uncheck "Show only programs on this computer" in Program Settings tab in Manage 3D Settings.   Use all other default settings in Nvidia Control manager.  You can test this by going to You Tube with Internet Explorer and searching for  an HD Video.  Be sure the settings in the flash video are at 720p or 1080p.  While the video is playing, open the GPU Icon in the notification area.  You will see either the Explorer Icon or a miniature copy of the web page.

May 15th, 2011 22:00

Hey guys...not sure how the 270.61 nvidia update is treating you. I have a M15x with GTX 260M. Ever since I applied this update my game performance has taken a hit. Crysis fps has take a massive hit and the windows experience index has fallen. The "gaming graphics" subscore dropped from 6.8 to 5.1. Did anyone else face the same issue? Help !!!!!

174 Posts

May 16th, 2011 12:00

What Imtel CPU are you using?  Be sure you have the latest Dell BIOS for your system.  For my XPS15 some new changes were made for the Intel i7 CPU.  Don't know if this impacts your system.

:emotion-55:  Check your settings in Nvidia Control Manager.  Be sure you check "Add Desktop Context Menu" checked and also check "Add 'Run with grapfics processor' to Context Menu" in the Desktop (View) menu.  You may also want to check "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area" so you can tell which GPU processor is running.  Also check the 3D Settings for your game to be sure it is listed and set up to use the Nvidia GPU.

Right-click the game and choose "Run with graphics processor" and then select "High-perfprmance NVIDIA processor".   If not set to default processor, change it to be the default GPU processor.   See if any of these help.     Also check NVIDIA support for the knowledge base and search for your GPU and Crysis for any issues

I think Nvidia is still fine tuning Optimus.

Good luck!

May 17th, 2011 21:00

Thanks  tacoslammer. I fixed this issue. Did a research on the recent posts on the recent 270.** Nvidia update and have come up with a solution. (Note this has also been tried on my friend's M15x as well yesterday as he got simmilar issues).

1) Re-install Windows using the Alienware disk provided. (Do only the Windows install and NOT the drivers).

2) After fresh install of windows, your system will NOT have any drivers. ENSURE you DONT install the drivers yet.

3) Flash the BIOS (my M15x was shipped with A01 BIOS). We cannot directly migrate from A01 to the latest A09 (we get an error doing so). Flash BIOS to A02 version (all BIOS versions avaliable in Dell archives). Then flash to A08. Then flash to A09.

4) After system reboots, clean install the Nvidid 270.61 drivers.

5) Check windows experience index post this new install. The ratings are up from the ones we got during factory settings.

6) Download and install latest drivers from Dell website (I did this instead of installing from the resource DVD which was an year old).

7) Run Windows update.

Tried and tested on 2 M15x. Ran performance tools to check system. All isss wellll !!!   :)

No Events found!