Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2017 19:00

Cannot find service tag -- rubbed off the bottom

I have an Inspiron 5000 with no service tag sticker.

The device won't even make it to the BIOS.

I've chatted with Online Support and called more than one Dell number, and none of the customer service people can actually provide customer service.

How can I get the service tag number off this laptop?  Under the battery is a white sticker with a 13 digit number, but the agents have told me this is a number for the battery itself.

Help?

• 

16.7K Posts

November 16th, 2017 05:00

MARK SATTERFIELD,

The only places that have the service tag location is on the bottom of the system or in the bios. If you purchased your system from Dell you can send me a private message with your name and email address as well as your phone number. I can then look up the information for you. Click on my name at the top to send me a Private Message.

9 Posts

November 16th, 2017 18:00

I purchased my system from Best Buy.

I've taken off the hard drive/memory cover,  and I do not see any serial numbers under these covers either.

Where else can I get this data?  Can you send me at least a link to the "1 year warranty" card?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 17th, 2017 05:00

Best Buy prints the serial number (service tag number) on the receipt.

If it's not there, go back to Best Buy - their computer system will have a record of the service tag in your customer purchase information.

9 Posts

November 17th, 2017 08:00

Called, went to Best buy, called again, they claim they do not have the serial number nor service tag number.

Dell, can you send me a link that says I had a one year warranty on the laptop?

Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 17th, 2017 08:00

9 Posts

November 17th, 2017 09:00

Can someone provide an official 12 month warranty report?

A blog is not official

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 17th, 2017 10:00

Simply look at your receipt from Best Buy.  New in box computers from Dell come with a 12-month, Best Buy supported warranty (i.e., problems go to Geek Squad/Best Buy for repair).

The box the system came in will also have the service tag on its label.  

It's odd that BB didn't post the service tag/serial on the receipt - was this an open-box/as-is purchase?  That's what it sounds like.  If it was a floor model, open-box, as-is purchase, it may not have a warranty at all -- only Best Buy can tell you, since that's where you purchased it.

You're asking questions of Dell -- when the service/support/warranty you purchased comes from Best Buy -- not from Dell.

9 Posts

November 17th, 2017 12:00

I'm asking Dell, how can I get the service tag from this Dell machine that will not boot, where Dell put a tag that readily rubbed off.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 17th, 2017 13:00

You've been told there are two ways:  the label and the BIOS screen.

You purchased the system from Best Buy.  Your warranty and support are with Best Buy - not with Dell.  

If Best Buy can't provide the service tag or support, return the system to them for a refund.

9 Posts

November 17th, 2017 14:00

Your information is so blatantly incorrect.  Best Buy is a retailer.  Dell provides the warranty.  But whatever.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 17th, 2017 15:00

Good luck to you - you're not going to be happy until you get the answer you want -- which isn't anywhere near the truth.  Best Buy has had the policy for years that support for Dell systems sold there is through Best Buy - not Dell.

At any rate, Best Buy sold the system AND will appear as the owner of the system, unless you've registered it in your name (if you have, just log in and look up the service tag).  If not, Best Buy DOES have a record of the system service tag -- they ALWAYS record it on the purchase receipt (again, UNLESS this was sold as a where is-as is open box model).  In that case, your receipt will state that.

• 

16.7K Posts

November 20th, 2017 06:00

newdeli

If you purchased your computer from Best Buy and never registered your product at Dell then, Dell would have no record of your purchase. The form that you would have needed to fill out and submit is listed below. ejn63 is correct in explaining that Best Buy would have record of the system purchase and service tag information. 

If you purchased your Dell product at a retail store (not directly from Dell), you don’t need to transfer the product; you need to register your product.

Retail Registration

9 Posts

November 20th, 2017 07:00

Your information that best buy has the service tag number is incorrect, at least for the purchases made when I bought mine.  Call them to verify before recommending this type of incorrect information.

9 Posts

... by the way, because of your recommendation and that of ejn63, I did call them.  

I called the sales department. I called 800 geek squad.  I called technical support.  I went to two best buy geek squad stores.  And I was told by all the representatives I spoke with that best buy does not regularly keep a record of service tags other than those for Apple products.  For Apple products they do keep serial numbers.  I was also told that the one year warranty is handled via mail in to Dell, not by best buy and not by geek squad.

I really hope this information helps someone else that would have been erroneously listening to the other advisers.  

9 Posts

Yes, it was new sealed.  Now they did tell me that if it was a refurbished unit that has previously been to geek squad, they would have a service tag, but not necessarily in my name. That all said, have you ever seen an invoice with the service tag number on it?  Because mine has nothing.  Maybe things have recently changed.  No one I spoke with indicated any changes though.

No Events found!