Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2013 06:00

Computer overheats and shuts down unexpectedly after windows 8.1 update

Hi,

So i am extremely annoyed at the moment. I have a Dell inspiron M521R which up until now (it's about 1 year old) has worked great except of course for windows 8 which really sucked. 

So finally, being fed up with windows 8, I updated to windows 8.1. Since then I can't play games anymore (from something as simple as CIV4 to more demanding as WoW), nor run any consuming program, because the computer overheats after an hour or so and bam just shuts down. Considering the specs of this computer, this is of course unacceptable... I don't pay a computer 800 euros to end up not being able to use it... I mean right now I can check mails and browse the web... great... not exactly why I needed 8GB RAM and the 4.4 GHz core I7 processor for...

Please don't start with the "check your fan" advice... I am not a computer noob, I have already made sure that this was not a hardware issue... I have opened the computer, cleaned the fan, added some thermal grease to make sure the thermal link is there etc etc etc... and obviously checked that the fan actually works and it does.

I also tried installing speedfan but realized that DELL doesn't allow 3rd party fan controllers... so that about just told me my comp was too hot... which I had already figured out...

I checked all the drivers, they all seem up to date as well... 

Bios has also been updated...

Again the computer worked completely fine until the windows 8.1 upgrade and stopped working just after the upgrade so somehow upgrading to 8.1 has something to do with it... 

It would be nice if a DELL representant could tell me what to do because frankly right now, I'm at a loss.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated!

3 Posts

November 27th, 2013 01:00

I am having the same basic problem after updating to W8.1 except I have a Inspiron 14z(5423) with interchangeable graphics (Radeon 7570M and Intel HD 4000), core i5 , 6gb ram.

Basic usage is fine be it text processing, web, mail, watching videos at 720p, but 1080p starts to heat up the system and processing images like rendering video or playing games, even NES emulators not graphically demanding, can only do for about 5-10 min before laptop turns off because of heat even with external fan. Upon reboot sometimes I get random beeps, which I guess is a temperature warning, since beeps decrease the longer I wait after unexpected shut down.

I've also gone through all logical steps, cleaned the system, updated drivers from dell and from manufacturers, updated bios.

BTW: @PELUCHE123 there's an option in speedfan specifically for DELL laptops which allows control over the fan(s), basic control but better than nothing. Go to Configure>Options>Enable DELL Support.

December 3rd, 2013 05:00

Hi there,

Same issue here. I have  an Inspiron 15R Special Edition (interchangeable graphics, core i7 , 8gb ram) and since updating to 8.1 my computer keeps overheating. I used to play Dota2 for hours without any issues. Now I can barely play one match without my computer shutting down due to heat. I am also having issues watching videos. Drivers are up to date and I did open it to make sure the fan was working and was not clogged.

This is plain ridiculous.

December 3rd, 2013 07:00

I have already opened my laptop and checked for dust buildup and fan malfunctioning. It is not the case.

This problem did not exist when I was running Windows 8. it all begin with windows 8.1. It is no coincidence.

5.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2013 07:00

Overheating is caused by a buildup of dirt/dust inside, non-operatibg fan or poor heat transfer from the CPU/GPU. Win 8.1 is not causing the problem. My laptops actually run cooler than with 7 or 8.

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 08:00

Same here already checked the fans, they work just fine.
 The issue here is with heavy graphics like a game or video render; whenever a process like that starts (After effects, sony vegas, or games) at most I get 15 min of  "work time" (the computer performs fine, except for the temperature rising) before the laptop cuts all power in what I guess is a way to protect itself. 
If I don't run any graphic rendering my laptop runs at a modest 50-52°C maybe 60°C when streaming full HD video

December 3rd, 2013 09:00

Very frustrating. I cant play anything anymore despite having a decent computer.  I'm considering downgrading, but I understand it is a major hassle and may not even work.

3 Posts

December 8th, 2013 10:00

Since I'm now on winter break I did downgrade, the shutdown still happened but I was able to get a good couple of hours playing Civ5.
What shocked me this time is that the computer won't throttle down as it get hotter. I played with no loss on quality or slower game-play from start until it shutdown.

February 12th, 2014 07:00

Unfortunately, I am still struggling with this. To remedy,  have been playing games in low graphic settings although I have a pretty decent PC and graphic card. Very frustrating.

Thanks for the quick response buddy. Ultimately I will go back to Windows 7 in this case. Shame Microsoft or Dell have a valid reason for this.

2 Posts

Hi,

So the answer is no. I have opened and checked everything and nothing works. 

I would like to point out to all the people telling it's a fan problem and that has nothing to do with windows 8.1, that I installed linux and tadah... no problems... like ever! (My God do I hate windows) ... pointing to the fact that it is indeed a problem with windows 8.1 and not with the computer

Unfortunately, because games such as WoW are not available under linux  and are a pain to use under linux I still needed the windows partition... so what I did was go on amazon and bought this belkin dual fan cooling stand. It's a bit bulky but very tolerable, it's rather silent and it does the job... no more problems since then. 

What I take from that is that windows 8.1 must require more power than windows 8 and so overheats your computer... (no matter that microsoft guarantees you that it is not the case, facts are facts.)

Sorry I couldn't come up with a better solution but buying a 30$ fan beats buying another computer and at least allows you to play with high graphics quality.

Oh and btw, if any dell customer service people are reading this, considering the complete lack of customer service I got from you, or interest, or answer to my email or anything... needless to say I will never EVER buy a computer from you again (and that <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> for you because I buy alot of computers every year for work and you bet that never again it will be a dell...). 

Do you have a solution for this? I have exactly the same problem since yesterday. Within an hr after installing windows 8.1 .. my laptop (same config) starting burning and boom just shut down. I wait for it to cool and start... everything is fine until I start running multiple applications and again it gets heated very fast and bam its out again.

I did a diagnostics test and it threw a 2000-0314 error which stands for thermal overheating. Thats pretty obvious, but this is only a software concern i'm sure cause my laptop is clean and no chance I have my fans clogged. I mean the fan cant get clogged overnight. It was running fine until an hr after installing windows 8.1. Please help if you got a solution.

25 Posts

February 12th, 2014 15:00

There has been an attempted fix by microsoft for issue's related to this. The Issue happens when upgrading to 8.1 from 8.0. The link below follows a slightly different topic but there have been issue's reported in relation to your own.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19528925.aspx

Hope this helps.

1 Message

March 25th, 2014 11:00

have the same issue with HP Elite Book 2540p. Win 8.1 shuts off without warning, nothing. just goes from working to complete shut off in half a sec

1 Message

April 16th, 2014 01:00

Hi Every one...   even though i am using windows 7 iam suffering with the problem of heat and shutting down. i use my lappy only for browsing and movies... 

please help me to get ride of prblms

Thanks for response

No Events found!