Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

6 Posts

February 16th, 2006 06:00

Configure USB as Serial Port (COM1 or COM2) with cable adapter, to support Palm V sync. cradle?

Ooops! Bought Dell Inspiron without realising it has no Serial Interface.

I understand the future, but I want to keep using my Palm V, and begin to synchronise files with my I6000.

Bought a USB to Serial adapter cable.

But Palm V Desktop Hotsync gives me an error at book-up saying COM is not available.

I hope someone can tell me just what to do on the Windows XP / Inspiron side to fake USB as a Serial port.

71 Posts

February 16th, 2006 14:00

You can synch via network as well if the serial port is giving you headaches.

71 Posts

February 16th, 2006 15:00

How are you set up?  Do you have a wireless laptop?  Check at the palm website regarding your issue.

6 Posts

February 16th, 2006 15:00

Home system, no network.

There must be a way to use the USB as if it were the Serial Port COM1.

3 Posts

February 24th, 2006 16:00

I have just installed a USB to serial driver to communicate with my Sony Erisson t290a mobile phone. Perhaps this would work with your Palm V. Can get driver from Sony Erisson site or http://home.netvigator.com/~wjcorp9/dku5/ which came with the genic DCU-11 cable I bought. Let me know if it works as I have a Palm V too.

6 Posts

February 25th, 2006 11:00

Thanks for your posting. It is just what I need to do; but the http link you gave does not work for me and, the Sony Ericson site does not seem to specifically offer drivers.

By what you say though, Sony Ericson at least seems interested in retaining it's existing customers in the future, by arranging for a suitable driver.

Any chance of your sending me the driver (if it is free anyway)?, at ...

wbs-by@blueyonder.co.uk

I would think that this particular problem of a generic USB / Serial driver is a significant one at this time; as the PC manufacturers drive us all to USB physical interfaces and wireless conections ... obsoleting all of our existing peripherals.

This activity should be illegal! It is certainly immoral .. tell it to Dell!

Are we all prepared to pay the £60 charge for Dell's hardware interface, when they have dropped established physical interfaces (i.e. Serial I/O) without any advice when buying the Laptop; and where they compund the injustice by hiding away all the drivers in their own hardware / firmware ... at a price?

Here is the helpful message from Dell ...

"I understand that you would like to configure a USB Port as a Serial Port (COM1) which allows you to use a Serial / USB cable adapter to support the Palm V synchronization cradle.
I see that your system uses a motherboard which only allows you to use USB devices.

Hence, I am glad to inform you that Dell has introduced what is called a Port Replicator for the new systems being shipped without the Serial, Parallel & the PS/2 ports. This device would permit you to connect all the devices belonging to these three classes.

For further information regarding the cost & the availability of the part, I would request you to kindly contact the Dell Parts Sales in the UK. You could contact them in the UK, at 0870 9074000. "
My problem should be overcome with a general driver; if for no other reason than to teach Dell a lesson.

So, I still need a driver to give to WindowsXP (as Dell themselves put it ... "to configure a USB Port as a Serial Port (COM1) which allows you to use a Serial / USB cable adapter to support the Palm V synchronization cradle."
This is a matter of the Consumer aganst the manipulative manufacturer.

Who will help me?

Thanks.

3 Posts

February 25th, 2006 15:00

Also do Google search for "USB serial cable" brings up multiple sites selling this cable with CD software.

3 Posts

February 25th, 2006 15:00

I click on the link in my message and it takes me directly to the site. On Sony Erisson site look for DCU-11 cable (USB to Sony Erisson mobile phone - mine T290a) and driver is in support, software.

6 Posts

February 25th, 2006 18:00

Jilly888,

Ooops! You are right. It was just a bit more cryptic than I am used to.

I am looking at this and will look at the Google suggestion too.

Thanks for keeping me hopeful.

415 Posts

February 26th, 2006 03:00

I use this cable:

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUC232A

I didn't even need the install CD that came with it. The only thing that I did was to set the COM port assignment to COM3 - just in case I installed older software that only recognizes COM1 through COM4. I have had no problems with this cable.

6 Posts

February 26th, 2006 07:00

VBdotNet,

Thanks for your interest. I have a cable already. It is remarkable that you somehow have a COM3 port already configured; and without using a driver. I am having a devil of a time trying to get anything to run.

6 Posts

February 26th, 2006 08:00

Jilly888,

Eureka ... this is the solution link (as you provided) ...

http://home.netvigator.com/~wjcorp9/dku5/

I merely followed the link and ran the install and, when I plugged in my cable, it was instantly recognised. I ran Hotsync from the cradled Palm V and it worked perfectly.

The Dell Community Forum has worked for me and I intend to keep track of activity for Inspiron.

I am so glad I did not follow the advice of Dell Support and spend Gbp 60 with them to buy an overblown (and overpriced) interface I do not need.

Palm support was even more useless, except for the updated version of the Desktop application 4.1.4 ... which installed perfectly.

415 Posts

February 27th, 2006 02:00

@wbs_ph01 wrote:

VBdotNet,

Thanks for your interest. I have a cable already. It is remarkable that you somehow have a COM3 port already configured; and without using a driver. I am having a devil of a time trying to get anything to run.

It was not already configured. I set it. With the cable plugged in - in the Device Manager you should find it under "Ports (COM & LPT)".

Right-click on it and select Properties.
Click on tab: Port Settings.
Click on button: Advanced.

Click on the drop-down to select the COM port that you want to assign to the device. If the COM port that you want to use is being used then you'll need to go to that device first, and change its COM port assignment - then return to set the port assignment for the USB-to-serial cable.

No Events found!