Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

March 9th, 2011 07:00

Confused about XPS17 1080p WiDi with Intel Sandy Bridge

Hi there,

I am confused about why it is that the NON Full HD Q1 2011 XPS 17 refresh seems to support WiDi and the Full HD (3D) version does not?

I have seen old posts on the forum suggesting that the reason is that the Corei7 does not have integrated intel graphics but according to this page from intel the new SandyBridge Corei7 2720QM processor is on the approved list of components:-

http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/technology/wirelessdisplay.htm#fragment-a-2

For me I really need the Full HD display, I would really like WiDi but I have no need of the 3D features at all. So what I would like to know is, does the XPS17 with the Full HD screen actually have the components that could in theory enable WiDi or has something been taken out to accommodate the 3D screen?

If it does have the correct components, does anyone have anything to say about the possibilities of an upgraded driver that may re-enable this functionality, or even is it just a question or installing non-dell drivers to make it work?

If it does not have the correct components and it is the case that having the 3D screen actually prevents WiDi deployment (maybe there is no room left for the transmitter or something?) is it possible to buy the old Full HD+ screen that I had on my old Inspiron 17 circa 2007 and install that in the non FullHD XPS 17 instead?

Any thoughts most welcome as I have tried the Chat and its useless as they do not give out any technical info, and just say 'Computer says no...' lol.

D

March 9th, 2011 11:00

Thanks for the insider info there Terry.

Actually looking today the spec no longer mentions WiDi any more, so I guess there have been problems with it.

That intel  table you mention does not seem to be as upto date as the one in my post which includes the new SandyBridge i7s and specifically includes the processor model Corei7 2720QM as being compatible and which I believe is an option for the new XPS17 regardless of whether you have the Full HD Screen or the lower resolution screen.

So unfortunately I think my question is still unanswered. I have not bought a new XPS17 yet because I need to know the answer to this before I do so. What I specifically need to know is if there is any physical/technical reason why the New XPS17 with the 3D (Full HD) screen does not have WiDi even if you have the correct processor as per the new updated Intel table on the page I mentioned in my original post.

If it is simply that Dell have not yet managed to make a driver for it then I can get the computer now and wait for the driver. If there is actually something different between an XPS17 without a 3D (Full HD) screen and one with a 3D (Full HD) screen that actually makes WiDi not work then I would like to know what this is. If WiDi has actually been dropped entirely, despite the fact the components would seem to make it possible, then I'd like to know if this is now technically impossible if I buy this machine or if it will be re-instated via a driver update sometime in the future.

It just seems to be odd that simply changing the screen would make a machine that is otherwise capable of WiDi not capable of WiDi any more.

The other thing I'd like to know is why I cannot specify 2x 500Gb hard drives on the top of the range model or more specifically if the top model with the Nvidia 555M card still has two spaces for hard disk drives or if perhaps the cooling and graphics card itself are now taking up the second hard drive space...

David

3.6K Posts

March 9th, 2011 11:00

According to this link it does support WIDI,  http://starredreviews.com/intel-core-i7-2630qm-vs-i7-2720qm-comparison-and-differences/5247/  .

As far as i know the second HDD bay is there to upgrade another larger drive.

1 Message

March 12th, 2011 15:00

I believe that for now it's impossible to get WiDi in combination with the full HD (3D) screen.
Because it's a 3D screen, the GT555M graphics card is constantly on and the graphics processor inside the  Core i7 2720QM never gets used.

As a result of this, optimus is disabled and WiDi is disabled too, even though the hardware configuration supports WiDi.
I don't know if Dell can fix this issue with a driver or if it's inherent to the 3D display.

I for one am getting the non-full HD display and I'll buy an external display.
That way I get optimus for when I'm on the road and I'll have WiDi.

And when I'm working at my desk, I'll have a much larger screen for roughly the same price as the 3D screen upgrade.

March 17th, 2011 04:00

Ok thats sounds reasonable.

So now I have three other questions:-

1) If I get a lower resolution screen but a i72720 processor and GT555M graphics card will it actually have the hardware for Optimus and WiDi

2) Does the graphics chip on the i72720 support Full HD resolution?

3) Can I buy and install a full HD screen from Dell separately that I can replace the lower resolution screen with?

3a) why the hell has Dell dumped all these excellent features, Optimus (battery Life), WiDi (enables Apple TV like ease of use) and Full HD (surely now a defacto screen standard?!) for a gimick like 3D which you will probably hardly ever use??!!?? I appreciate its for Gamers but even gamers use their computers for other things other than gaming most of the time and all these features would benefit them too.

All I want is the top spec machine with all the features except 3D, I cannot believe Dell is making this so difficult.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 17th, 2011 05:00

1.  Officially no, since the CPU isn't on Intel's widi support list.

2.  Yes.

3.  At the cost of your warranty and at significant cost, probably.  There's no guarantee it'll work -- and no support if you do this, so you'll be building an unsupported, unwarranted system.

4.  Because the 3D screen is a high-end option and WiDi is not.  The assumption (probably correct) is that anyone looking for full 3D screen support will be shopping and expecting the high-end in video - i.e., the nVidia chip.  The integrated video is decidedly not high end.

March 18th, 2011 10:00

Hey there EJN63, thanks for your reply.

Not sure If I am reading it wrong but this spec sheet for the 2720 (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=50067) and this list of compatible components (http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/technology/wirelessdisplay.htm#fragment-a-2) seems to suggest that the 2720 is compatible no? I know the old i7s were not compatible but some of the new ones are aren't they?

2 is good news but 3 is obviously bad news. Anyone else have any knowledge of replacing screens on Dell machines for higher spec versions?

5 Posts

March 19th, 2011 18:00

Question 1;

All 2nd Gen Core mobile processors support Intel(R) WiDi

Question 2;

Yes, 2nd Gen Core's processor graphics supports Full HD but a laptop's LCD might not support Full HD. If this is the case then going to extended desktop mode with Intel WiDi will allow you to get Full HD

Question 3;

EJN63 is essentially correct. Technically there is no issues, but there are business reasons why a PC manufacturer would not include the WiDi feature and other high end features like 3D. While Nvidia Optimus (called a switchable graphics solution) can coexist on a laptop with Intel WiDi. But you can only use either the Intel 2nd gen processor graphics (Intel HD Graphics 3000) or the Nvidia Optimus at a given time. The issue may be that the Optimus graphics does not support 3D Display, rather a higher end Nvidia graphics solution is required. Typically the PC manufacturer will disable Intel HD Graphics 3000 and include a discreet solution.

There should be many switchable graphics solutions that support WiDi but you may need to look at other manufacturers.

Thanks for you interest in Intel WiDi!

Garry Weil

Intel WiDi Team

April 14th, 2011 01:00

More and more people are after this now. Curiously the moderator removed this post last time- obviously Dell do not like customers expressing dissatisfaction or trying to utilise consumer pressure to make them act in a fair way.

And to make it even more annoying and frustrating, in Australia (and now the USA!) you can spec a machine that has a 1080p Anti Glare Screen (no 3D), but WITH Optimus and WiDi!!

See this thread http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19367389/19857406.aspx#19857406 for debate on the stupidity of not offering the same machine you can get in Australia in the UK/USA (Update as of last night this option is available in USA

So please can everyone in the UK and USA who needs an XPS 17 without 3D but WITH Optimus, WiDi and 1080p give Dell HELL for not offering a full HD XPS17 to us while they are in Australia (and USA). There is just no logic to it whatsoever- the fact this is sold in Aus (+USA) proves that such a configuration is a) possible and b) Dell have the parts-so it is just a massive pain! Maybe if we cann collectively kick up enough of a stink about it they will come to their senses and we can all get the machines we actually want!

Vive la Revolution!

April 14th, 2011 14:00

David  - you saved me creating a new post!. I  too am UK based and  interested in purchasing an XPS 17, but have been dismayed at the lack of info regarding its perfomance ( reguar user reviews as opposed to official reviews) in comparison to the wealth of info about the  full HD XPS 15. 

A major criticism about the L701X was that the screen resolution wasn't available at 1080p - so it's a no brainer that this be an option with the L702X (without 3D) - or so you'd think.  ALSO the chiclet style keyboard  (backlit = >$$) available as standard in the US, Australia, Germany and wherever else is only available if I purchase the XPS 17 with the i7 processor - ie at a premium.

Not being a gamer I really have no need for a quad core processor (i7 2630QM) -  which from the little infoI can gather  - has problems with constant noise from the fan due to overheating during normal use (ie not gaming), so I prefer to opt for the the i5 2540M XPS.  But I've noticed that this particular i5 option has remained at £799 for the past 2 weeks, whilst the i7 option has now dropped to £799. Is this  truly a good deal?? or is this price engineering in favour for the XPS (i7 2630QM)?? and why??........what's the catch? Am I being cynical?

| can't understand why Dell  insist on the restricted choices when you go to 'personalise your laptop' on the UK site  in comparison to our international cousins -and when, should you choose to upgrade at considerable cost, you eventually find out that this component is not compatible with the laptop!  I feel  sorry for those who have already purchased such goods and at the same time I become increasingly wary about any future purchases from DELL.

DELL....HOW ABOUT:Better QC testing  - so it does what it says on the tin! Greater transparency!  More accessible & knowledgeable customer service  instead of being herded towards the hard sell from the telephone salesman! listening to your customers and not ignoring the UK maket - because we are paying though our noses for your goods! :emotion-37:

19 Posts

May 25th, 2011 21:00

I dont understand why they cant just set it up that if 3D is on then widi and optimus become disabled? What the difference between the 3D screen just on regular screen mode and the 1080P non 3D screen??? It sounds like software problem to me and a solution might be in the near future.

37 Posts

June 21st, 2011 12:00

Garry,thank you for a clear and direct answer.

No Events found!