Highlighted

Connecting XPS 13 (9350) to 4K monitor using Thunderbolt 3

Jump to solution

The new XPS 13 (9350) has adopted a Thunderbolt 3 port instead of Mini DisplayPort for connecting external monitors. The XPS 13 web page states:

Thunderbolt™ 3 supports: 
        Power in / charging 
        PowerShare 
        Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps bi-directional) 
        USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps) 
        Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output 
        VGA, HDMI, Ethernet and USB-A via Dell Adapter (sold separately)

It goes on:

Thunderbolt™ 3 multi-use port allows you to charge your laptop, connect to multiple devices (including support for up to two 4K displays) and enjoy data transfers up to 40Gbps, 8 times that of a USB 3.0.

I now want to make use of the "Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output" in order to connect a 4K monitor, but it seems to be impossible.

After many hours on the phone to various departments in Dell, I'm assured that they don't sell any Thunderbolt 3 accessories yet. They'll be releasing a Thunderbolt 3 dock next year (TB15), but for now the best they can offer is a USB-C to HDMI adapter, which only supports a maximum resolution of 1080p.

So... the sales blurb says this laptop natively supports DisplayPort 1.2, but how are we meant to use it?

69 Replies

RE: Connecting XPS 13 (9350) to 4K monitor using Thunderbolt 3

Jump to solution

I'm dealing with the same issue...new hardware and the key accessories are lagging...hopefully it's early 2016 and not late 2016 when the dock comes out

queron
Copper

Jump to solution

I got sold the new Dell Adapter - USB Type-C to HDMI/VGA/Ethernet/USB 3.0, DA200, to connect my monitor via HDMI, but everything works, but the HDMI.

Dell techs have tried to get the HDMI to work, but no success. They now claim that that DA200 only supports the XPS12, not the XPS 13.

Seems like a bit of weak answer for a USB C adapter... especially as it's pictured in the photos and in the accessories section of the Dell XPS 13 page.

They said I can get a full refund, but doesn't really solve the problem of no external monitor.

Had the same problem with a USB C to DisplayPort adapter... I feel like HDMI and DisplayPort over USB C isn't quite locked down yet.

I guess we wait for driver updates...

Jump to solution

Me and a good friend just replaced Surface Books for the XPS 15 9550 and we both have the duel Dell 4K P2715Q monitors.  The best I can do right now is connect one of the two to the HDMI port which is giving me 3840 x 2160 at 30hz.  So no better than the Surface Book.  I am looking forward to the TB 3 Dock, which I would expect give me support for 60hz for both monitors but need to confirm this.  

Ah.. the price we pay for being early adopters of new tech!

Jump to solution

I wish I'd known quite how new this version of the XPS 13 laptop was.  If I'd realised it had only been on the market for a week or two, I'd have avoided it.  Two valuable lessons learned though:

1) Always check that new tech has been around long enough time to iron out the problems, and for support staff to know what it is

2) Dell's customer service is absolutely atrocious these days.  My past experiences have been fairly good, but my word, they're awful now (and I've spoken to a lot of people at Dell in the last few weeks!)

If the laptop itself wasn't so brilliant, I'd have sent it back.

Jump to solution

I hear you and do agree, there is a price ot pay for being an early adoptor.  Something I have been most of my life.  Sometimes it creates minor inconveniences and other times it can be a disaster.  I did find the Dell USB3 display dock as an short term solution on sale for $99, while I wait for the TB15 dock.  Hopefully early next year.

0 Kudos
cartland
Copper

Jump to solution

I got the DA200 as well. It worked with VGA (1080p) but not HDMI (1080p) initially. It works with HDMI after I applied the latest Dell firmware patch: Intel_TBT3-NVM12_FK6KK_02.05.04_A00v2_SETUP_ZPE.exe. I also applied the a BIOS patch as well XPS_9350_1.0.5.exe.

However, disappointed that it cannot output to VGA and HDMI for a dual monitor setup. I am looking to grab an external USB 3 to HDMI/Displayport adapter to get around this.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I'm also stuck with this problem! 

I bought the Monoprice USB-C Male to DisplayPort Male, but it is limited to 30 Hz at 4k resolution. Useless!

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12908

Anyone find another cable that works? 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I bought the same cable but I never was able to see anything being displayed. A waste of $30 dollars.

I have a XPS 15 9550.

I am currently running my P2715Q monitor using the HDMI port. I get the 3840 x 2160 resolution but at 30 Hz.  which is far from optimal.

I just spent $ 2,500 dollars (Laptop and Monitor) to get my eyes tortured by a horrible refresh rate.

I thought my new laptop had a mini display port besides the new and useless Thunderbolt 3.0 port.

Jump to solution

I'm returning the monoprice cable. Mine stopped working completely as well. I've ordered this adapter now, plus a regular display port to display port cable. We'll see if that works better. Their description says 4k @ 60 Hz...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0157RVTDW

0 Kudos