Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 2nd, 2009 01:00

Connecting an Inspiron 1545 to a plasma tv

Hello people. I've ordered an Inspiron 1545 and plan to link it with a tv however i'm unsure about which cables can fit the pc. I know it has a VGA socket but that it doesn't have a HDMI connection. The ideal way (at least from internet research) is to have a DVI - HDMI cable. However, would a DVI cable fit on my laptop? If so, where does it go? Hope someone can help! I'm one of those that likes to get everything sorted when it's arrived.

PS: While i'm here, i've read complaints about the battery capability, mainly due to the 4-cell version. Has anyone had any problems with the 6-cell version? I'm debating whether I should've got a 9-cell battery option. I'm happy with 1.5hrs usage really.

15 Posts

January 4th, 2012 05:00

Hi there

the VGA to VGA did work from my laptop to my TV! The one with HDMI didn't work at all! I tried two different ones, no luck.

If you have a friend or someone you know who already has the cable, ask them if you can borrow it so you can try, but I doubt it would work.

If you don't have a VGA port, I suggest you check if you have a RCA port (three coloured cable, usually red, black and white), that could be the solution, then you could buy a RCA to VGA cable if the VGA to VGA does not work. Don't forget, the yellow bit is for image, the black and white bit are for sound.

Hope that helps

let me know

Jamie

9 Posts

January 5th, 2012 07:00

Thank you for the info!!!  The TV does not have a VGA port.

I also wondered if VGA (on the laptop) to Svideo (Svideo on the TV) would work? Did you, by chance, try that? I dont even know if they sell such cables, would need to search online. I think I will run to Radio Shack and see if they carry a RCA to VGA cable. There are a few red, black, and white ports on the tv, not sure if they are RCA ports??  If I purchase at a local store rather than online, and it doesn't work, I can at least return it.

I will keep you posted. In the meantime, if you tried or learned anything at all about VGA to SVideo, could you let me know?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Colleen

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 5th, 2012 08:00

VGA to s-video???

Uh, NO.

Your *only* solution is some sort of converter box VGA to HDMI or something like that.

There are USB devices for outputing video through them. Haven't use them. Don't know how well they work.

In all cases, you'll need more than a cable.

15 Posts

January 5th, 2012 09:00

I have absolutely no idea about Svideo, sorry. try RCA cables, since you have a few ports behind the TV, it should work to be honest. Try each port, you never know. that's what I did.. lol should be "video" or "audio in" as youare going from laptop to TV, not vice versa

Ieee488 might be right too however, it is a bit more costly to buy the converter box. Best thing is to try the RCA cables. If that does not work, try the converter box.

Let me know how you are getting on

Best

Jamie

9 Posts

January 8th, 2012 08:00

Ok thanks for the info. Haven't had a chance yet to get over to my mom's and try the RCA to VGA cable but will try that first. Will let you know if it works!

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 8th, 2012 13:00

Ok thanks for the info. Haven't had a chance yet to get over to my mom's and try the RCA to VGA cable but will try that first. Will let you know if it works!

I have no clue what kind of magical RCA to VGA cable you are talking about, but it simply isn't going to work.

9 Posts

January 8th, 2012 20:00

PS My mom is wanting to watch hockey games from the laptop on her tv. That's all she wants the cables for.

9 Posts

January 8th, 2012 20:00

To ieee488: thanks for the info. I had heard to try RCA to VGA so that's what I was going to try>??? for sure, this will not work???

Okay, INITIALLY, I had been told my mom needs a USB to VGA adapter. I myself didnt think this would work since USB, I thought, is for data? Now you said above that there ARE USB devices for outputting video through them. So is it possible then that I really SHOULD be looking for a USB to VGA adapter????  And, if so, is this ALL that I will need?

And someone had also said S-video to audio cables??? How would this work if the laptop doesnt have SVideo?  The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1545 with the following ports:

(3) USB 2.0 compliant 4-pin ports

15-pin VGA video connector

Integrated network connector 10/100 LAN (RJ45)

AC adapter connector

Audio jacks (1-line out, 1 Mic-in)

34 mm ExpressCard slot

The TV is a Pansasonic 1080P Plasma HDTV Viera Link model TH-42PZ80U with ports:

Integrated ATSC Tuner Yes SD Memory Card Slot (SDHC Compatible) Yes HDMI Input 3 (1 front) Analog Audio Input (for HDMI) 2 Composite Video Input 2 (1 front) S-Video Input 2 (1 front) Audio Input (for Video) 2 (1 front) PC Input No Audio Input (for PC) No Component Video Inputs (Y, PB, PR) 2 Audio Input (for Component Video) 2 RS232C No Composite Video Output 1 Analog Audio Output 1 Digital Audio Output 1 Headphone Jack No CONVENIENCE   VIERA Link™ Yes VIERA Cast™ (IPTV) No Game Mode Yes Pixel Orbiter (Anti-Image Retention) Yes Menu Languages English/Spanish/French V-Chip Program Lockout Yes Built-In Closed Caption Decoder Yes Timers Off Video Input Label Yes Video Picture Memory Yes GENERAL  

I did talk to someone at Radio Shack who mentioned a converter box which was about $125. Was hoping to find cables that weren't as costly.

Can you please tell me all options available that you know of?  Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!!!

15 Posts

January 9th, 2012 03:00

Well i am not sure if the RCA to VGA cable will work on YOUR TV but it is nonetheless worth trying. it's not magic, since I did it from my laptop to my previous TV and it did work, It is the same process in term of plugging a Scart connection into your dvd player for example. this is the most basic connection process. At the end of they day, just try it if you have one, you can always return if it does not work.

It seems the HDMI cable foes not work on this laptop, I have been told to install some kind of software in order to make it work and make it compatible.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 9th, 2012 07:00

Well i am not sure if the RCA to VGA cable will work on YOUR TV but it is nonetheless worth trying. it's not magic, since I did it from my laptop to my previous TV and it did work,

I am not sure what RCA to VGA cable you are talking. Care to enlighten us?

The video signals are incompatible.

9 Posts

January 9th, 2012 19:00

Thank you Jamie! I am still nowhere in this process. I went to Best Buy--they do not have an RCA to VGA cable. I went to Radio Shack--they do not have it either. I looked it up online and it's not just an RCA to VGA cable, there's ALL KINDS of options, I had NO idea which one to get. THen I got back on this forum and ieee488 says RCA to VGA will not work. OMG!!! I am about ready to just give up!!!

9 Posts

January 9th, 2012 19:00

No, I cant enlighten you, because there are different ones, and I had no idea which one to order!!!  Then I saw your post that said it will not work??? Instead of having to read forums day in and day out, can you tell me what my best solution would be? You previously said, "Your *only* solution is some sort of converter box VGA to HDMI or something like that.

There are USB devices for outputing video through them. Haven't use them. Don't know how well they work."

Unfortunately, I cannot order something as such without knowing exactly what it is I need. VGA to HDMI, I've been told, will not work. RCA to VGA, I am now told, will not work!  Every angle I go to does not work.

I did got to Radio shack and was told I need a converter box, which is about $125, but I was hoping some type of cable would work

Someone previously said USB to VGA adapter. Do you have ANY idea if this would work???

15 Posts

January 10th, 2012 05:00

Sorry you have to go through all of this. To be fair, I had the same situation when it happened to me, hence the reason I am trying to help as much as I can. I don't know what other option to give you I am afraid. I have not tried USB to VGA.

I believe my comments are quite accurate and I do apologise in advance if they are not correct, just trying to help. My suggestion are pretty basic I would have thought, since you need a connection with couple of audio way in and a picture/video one, (RCA what you could do is to check with your tv supplier or brand to help you on this. I have a Foehn & Hirsch TV, which is less common than yours and I still manage to get it connected (VGA to VGA, no converter box needed). I mean, there must be a way to make it work!a easier way than a converter box. I would gladly come to your place to check it out but I think you live way too far, I am in England, UK

Ask them to help you on choosing the right cable.

I have foudn this link as well, hope that helps.

www.speakerwires.org/rca-to-vga-cable

Good luck

JM

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 10th, 2012 06:00

I have foudn this link as well, hope that helps.

www.speakerwires.org/rca-to-vga-cable

That product will be useless for an Inspiron 1545.

Cowms2000 can continue to pursue these useless devices or actually do something useful and buy a VGA to HDMI converter box.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 10th, 2012 10:00

Excuse me, it's not all useless thank you very much, It did work with me , otherwise i would not say it so please get your facts right before you make the above comment, . you are very good at commenting but not very good at finding solutions. at least I have given this person some options she could try without losing money

By the way, the link I sent her is about informing her on what's available on the market.

Sorry Cowms2000, I am trying to help you but it seems some people like to comment and be sarcastic instead of finding solutions and give options.

I am out thanks

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/p/17532002/17654988.aspx#17654988

That is the pinout of a VGA port. Which pin is the composite video signal for the cable you linked ???????

And by the way, the title of that link is Rca to Vga Cable - - Is it Possible?

It is not a product that can be purchased or a store product. You frankly have no clue what you are talking about.

No Events found!