Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2009 10:00

Cursor Jumps back to prior line as I am typing

I have a Inspiron 1545. I am running Vista OR with WIn Office 07.  Any and every text program I use has an issue. While I am tying the text will suddenly stop typing and go back to my last cursor location and type in the middle of the last sentence, or even paragraph. It is driving me nuts. I have owned three dells in the last 10 years all laptops. I have small hands and know I am not touching the touchpad. I have never had this problem before. I called technical support and they reintalled the driver and made sure the touchpad was working.  I have gone into my setting for the mouse and changed to to a larger cursor to no avail. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 13th, 2009 15:00

I have a new Acer laptop and have problems entering data with it.  I can be typing and look up and it has jumped bak to the beginning.  There is nothing wrong with the hardware so I have to assume i'm accidentally hitting a key to cause it. It happened three times while typing this response.  

2 Posts

August 13th, 2009 16:00

I think I fixed my mouse problem. I had to turn off the enhanced pointer precision in the mouse setting.

1 Message

September 7th, 2009 12:00

I am having problems that have nothing to do with my wrist touching a key or mouse pad.  I don't know what to do.  I have a Insprion 1545 that I got from Dell in May.  I had to send it back already because of an annoying ticking sound that is also in the one that they replaced it with.  My big problem is, I am a lyricist and I rely on my laptop to write all the time. 

1.The cursor jumps randomly and sometimes I don't notice it, and when I do, the dawg gone thing has typed letters where they don't belong.  I have to constantly go through what I have written to find the errors, correct them and then re-type what I was trying to type.  I am so frustrated!!

2. When I hit the letter keys, I have to hit harder than on my other 2 Dell laptops.  In my spell check, I find that the first letter of words I type are missing!!  I have to hit so hard that it makes my fingers and wrist hurt.  I have MS and this problem isn't good for my hands.

3. Sometimes, when I take my hand off the cursor, the screen I'm working on goes away to the previous screen.  At times, I have lost a page and had to start over.

I have been online reading these same problems that others are having that has nothing to do with accidentally hitting or touching anything.  I still can't really find a fix.  Can you help??  I'm working on songs for an album and I need this laptop to work like a dead man needs a coffin:emotion-39:

I sure hope you can answer soon, I hope you have a fix for me.

Thank you so much.

Beverly

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2009 08:00

Hope it continues to work for you. It did not solve the problem on my 1545 machine.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2009 12:00

Did anyone try going to Drivers & Downloads and enter your service tag number. Look under input devices and install the Touchpad software?

I also move the curson to the top of the page or to an area away from the typing area.

Rick

1 Message

October 11th, 2009 08:00

Hi drea080576 -I have an Inspiron 1420 running on Vista. I have the same cursor issue and it is making me crazy. I do not know the cause or the permanent fix, but one thing that is helping is this: after I position the cursor with the wireless mouse and click, I move the arrow off to the side to a scroll bar. For some reason this allows me to type without the dreaded random cursor thing for some time. I don't know if the scroll bar has some properties that temporarily reduce the issue, but any relief is welcome.

My IBM Thinkpad for work has none of these issues. That one uses the exact same wireless mouse (I use the same unit for both laptops), and I have never seen the cursor issue. The IBM is running on XP, but I have noted that some people with Dells are seeing the same thing even if they run on XP. My husband has a Dell, and when I use his laptop I get the same issue, which I why I thought it was some sort of hand placement thing or electrmagnetic field issue with me. He does not experience the issue at all.  I can sit down at his computer and it begins happening.

I saw that someone with an HP that this as well. I must say that which ever laptops are c onfirmed to have this, I will never buy that brand again. I spend twice as long trying to work.

1 Message

October 11th, 2009 09:00

I have the same problem.  Right now, it's the least of my worries with this Inspiron 1720 laptop.  I have had nothing but problems with it since I got it last spring.   Of course they wanted to sell me a extended warranty when they didn't fix any of the  problems BEFORE my warranty ran out.  Welcome to the world of Dell and good luck with it.  It will be my last Dell computer.

1 Message

May 26th, 2010 12:00

Yeah ive tried and tried again to install the latest driver from dell. Once I got round the download manager and downloaded it I did manage to get to the touchpad settings only to find only half of them worked. 

My hope was to disable touchpad and use my external mouse.

am as stuck as everyone else

2 Posts

February 10th, 2011 20:00

Downloading a small program called TouchFreeze takes care of the problem immediately.  It comes back after a few months and I am a heavy typist as I am a writer, but I install it again and away it goes,  Try it it works on my Dell Inspiron 1545.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 11th, 2011 03:00

A comment on my original post about having the problem on an Acer laptop.  I replaced the keyboard and the problem was still there, so you can eliminate a faulty keyboard as the problem.    I gave the Acer to my daughter and bought a new Lenovo Ideapad Laptop and it does not have the problem.

June 10th, 2011 13:00

juanmoreno,  Thanks so much!  That "touch freeze" program works.  What a blessing!  Donna

2 Posts

October 26th, 2011 10:00

I have the same problem with a jumping cursor.    I have an Inspiron 1545, Vista, with XP.   Whether in Word, Outlook Express, or even Microsoft Money the cursor jumps back or up and, as a touch typist, if I am copying text I do not always notice .   I have had my laptop for over two years now and it only started to misbehave about two months ago.   Urgent help, please!   I have tried to disable the touchpad, but cannot find out how.   It has just happened again - it jumped from the end of the last sentence to the middle of the word "disable".   Infuriating.

October 26th, 2011 13:00

seome,

1)  Did you install the TouchFreeze program?

ref. copied from above:  Downloading a small program called TouchFreeze takes care of the problem immediately.  It comes back after a few months and I am a heavy typist as I am a writer, but I install it again and away it goes,  Try it it works on my Dell Inspiron 1545.

2)  Also, be sure your cursor is dragged down to the bottom of your desktop.  Don't leave it hovering around your open document.  This one action helps a great deal.

3)  And I removed the Dell-installed touchpad driver.  I found the old PS/2 Compatible Mouse.  It works just fine.

Hope this helps.

1 Message

December 17th, 2011 07:00

I have the same problem; did you ever get a fix for it?

December 20th, 2011 02:00

The only thing that has worked for my Dell 1545 is to reinstall the software for the Touchpad, I've just done this now and it has completely resolved the problem (installing Touchfreeze and unchecking 'enhance pointer position' that have been mentioned elsewhere didn't do anything for mine). This is the second time I've had to do it, about three years after the first time, which is when I first bought the laptop. To install the correct driver:

Go to http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection

On right-hand side, click on ‘Search for drivers and download’.

Enter your service tag code - it's usually on a white panel on the back of your laptop.

From list it gives, choose ‘Input’ and then click to download the relevant driver for the Touchpad (the one for Dell 1545 is called ‘Alps driver’).

When you get the pop-up window, choose to save the file. Then open it and run it. Then restart the computer.

Problem should be solved!

No Events found!