Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2016 23:00

DELL Inspiron 14Z 5423 - 5 beeps, battery 1%, cannot flash bios

Hi, I have several problems with my laptop. It began when it sometimes stuck on first logo. I did recovery but it didn't help. So I tried to flash new bios A13(I had A06) from windows. After restart I could see only black screen. After unsuccessfull trying of everything I disconnected CMOS battery to reset bios and since this act I get 5 beeps at startup even if I changed battery for new one. I finally boot to windows but: Bios stayed unchanged(A06) and my battery is now on 0%, it says charging but it doesn't charge. I did DELL diagnostic tests from boot menu with 100% success. In these tests battery show 1%. I tried to flash bios again(from DOS, v. A08) and the same result, black screen at first (for long time)and after boot BIOS stayed the same - A06. Thank you for any help or advice. Martin

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 25th, 2016 00:00

Hi Maca76,

I’d advise that you load defaults in the BIOS. Please follow the steps mentioned below to load the BIOS to defaults to check if then you are able to update the BIOS to A08 version on the system.

1. Reboot the computer.
  2. When prompted during POST, press the key to enter the setup screen.
  3. On the System Setup screen, press the key.
  4. Press the key on Yes to Load Optimized Defaults and restart the computer.

Also, Check if the AC adapter is detected under AC adapter type in BIOS.

3 Posts

April 25th, 2016 01:00

Hi, thank you for fast response. I have tried to load defaults in the BIOS. 

The AC adapter is detected in BIOS as original 65W.

I wonder if there is another way how to flash bios instead of run default exe file from WIN or DOS. My BIOS is AMI APTIO and I tried afudos with extracted rom file from original DELL exe. It was without success with error  "Secure Flash function is not supported on this file".

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 27th, 2016 13:00

Hi maca76,

The BIOS would not get updated as the battery charge is 1%. The BIOS can get updated only if the battery charge is above 10%. I would suggest you to run a thorough test on the battery. You can download Support assist from the link below and run the PC CHECKUP on Battery to check for issues

http://dell.to/1hAPOXr

Please let me know the findings.

3 Posts

May 2nd, 2016 00:00

Hi Ravi,

thank you for your email. I know that it would not let me update BIOS when the battery is under 10% but I also know that it should go with "/forceit". 

I tried battery test in that support assist and it were finished with error code "wbt02-VUC". What does this code mean exactly? I think my battery died.

I still don't understand why there are repeating 5 beeps before windows starts. It's CMOS battery but that is new. Do you think it is somehow connected with main battery that is probably bad?

Thank you.

Martin

No Events found!