Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2011 04:00

DELL LAPTOP INSPIRON 6000 CAN IT RUN WINDOWS 7 32 BIT&WHERE CAN I GO TO GET THE DRIVERS FOR THE ETHERNET AND SOUND TO WORK

OK I HAVE A COUPLE OF REAL PROBLUMS FRIST ONE

!. CAN MY LAPTOP RUN WINDOWS 7 32 BIT

2. WHERE CAN I GET DRIVERS FOR THE ETHERNT AND ON BOARD.SOUND

3.CAN'T SEEM TO GET THE WIRELESS TO TURN O THE COMBO FN/F2 THING DOESN'T WORK AND IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY TO TURN IT ON

IM RUNNING WINDOWS 7 32 BIT  AND IWAS TRY'EN TO GO BACK TO XP BUT THA PASS WORD WON'T LET ME

THATS BECAUSE I BOUT IT FROM A FREIND AND HE DIDN'T HAVE THE BIOS ADDMISTION PASSWORD  I TRED TO PULL BIG COMPUTOR BATTREY  ANY I TOOK THE KEYBOARD OUT AND GOT THE BUTTEN BATTREY OUT WAITED 2MIN AND PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER ND POWWERD UP HIT F2 WENT INTO BIOS TO SET  BOOTTING ORDER AND IT WOULDN'T LE ME THE PASSWORD WAS STELL THERE GOT A UILLMENT BOOT CD AND TRYED TO TAKE THE PASSWOARD OUT DID WORK A LITTLE

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 26th, 2011 06:00

Please don't post in ALL CAPS. It is not only hard to read, it is considered shouting.

If you don't have the BIOS password, there is nothing to be done since you will need to contact Dell and verify you are the rightful owner and pay them $ to have them reset the password.It is highly unlikely you will be able to restore to XP anyway since your friend probably blew away the restore partition when installing Windows 7.

If the drivers are not on Dell's website http://support.dell.com  you need to find them yourself.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 26th, 2011 06:00

Yes the Inspiron 6000 can run WIndows 7 32 bit. Note upgrade the RAM to 2 GBs if it is not already got 2 GB.

As for drivers get the Vista 32 bit drivers for the Inspiron 6400, they will work with Windows 7 32 bit on the Inspiron 6000. Dell Quickset will however not work for some reason it says the system is unsupported. You may get the XP version of Dell Quickset for the Inspiron 6000 to work perfectly with Windows 7 32 bit but it requires a few steps.

Download the Vista 32 bit drivers for the Inspiron 6400.

1. Dell Notebook Software
2. Chipset (Intel and Ricoh)
3. Intel Proset Wireless 2200 (got the vista driver from the intel website/you might have a different wireless card)
4. Touchpad
5. Video (not sure if any are equivalent for the 6000)

Once these are installed you should have full functionality according to the device manager. If the 6400's video driver doesn't work you will need to use the 6000's XP driver.

Download the XP video driver and extract with 7zip. In device manager, right click the device with the error and select install/update driver select the specific location and select the folder where you have extracted the driver. (May want to check on WIndows Update also for a Video Driver).

Now install the Inspiron 6000's XP Quickset in compatibility mode.

Also change on the start menu.

Next use task schedular. Start it via a search from the start menu.

Go to actions > Create Basic Task

Follow the wizard, Name: Dell Quickset,< Next>  Trigger: When I log on  Action: Start Program select program, navigate to C:\Program Files\Quickset and click on the Quickset Icon. Then click finish. Almost done, at this stage it worked but I got a UAC prompt everytime I powered up.

The next step is to find Dell Quickset in the Task Schedular Library. Double click it and edit its general properties.

Check run with highest privileges. Now go to the triggers tab edit triggers

Change "Specific User" to "Any User" and make sure enabled is checked at the bottom left. Click .

Everything should now be fully functional with Windows 7 32 bit on your unit.

40 Posts

January 14th, 2012 08:00

Was just trying to help.

40 Posts

January 14th, 2012 08:00

Deleted.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 14th, 2012 09:00

jasonherek you shouldn't promote using counterfeit versions of Windows in particular on a public forums such as the Dell Community Forums.

The advice given can lead to problems:

1. Security on Computer 1 is compromised by installing and running a torrent.

2. Computer 2 is compromised by running an unpatched version of Windows.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 14th, 2012 10:00

I would honestly use the answer above mine first because it sounds like he knows more about what he's talking about, good luck!

You should learn to read better.

Actually natakuc4 did *not* address parts of the original post.

He only answered questions about Windows 7 32-bit install.

The original question mentioned something about BIOS password. Unless that problem is resolved and the OP is able to go into the BIOS and change the boot order, natakuc's post is useless.

The original question also mentioned about going back to XP. Apparently he wanted to do a Factory Restore. Again, natakuc4 did not address this question either

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 15th, 2012 05:00

Yes I only addressed the issue about the Windows 7 32 bit and the installation of the drivers. There was no need to say anything about the BIOs password/boot order because you had already mentioned what I would of said.

Thanks for editing out the post Jason. We appreciate you trying to help but illegal activities should not be promoted on the forums and it violates the forums Terms of Use. In particular:

You will not submit any content that Infringes on the intellectual property rights or other rights of any person or entity.

You will not submit any content that Contains or installs any viruses, worms, bugs, Trojan horses or other code, files or programs designed to, or capable of, disrupting, damaging or limiting the functionality of any software or hardware.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 15th, 2012 06:00

[quote user="ieee488"]

Yes I only addressed the issue about the Windows 7 32 bit and the installation of the drivers. There was no need to say anything about the BIOs password/boot order because you had already mentioned what I would of said.

[/quote]

Exactly!  I understood that, but Jason didn't. Hence the need to point out to him the obvious. Not sure what is going on with him.

40 Posts

March 3rd, 2012 21:00

So I have windows 7 running as good as I think it will on my inspiron 6000. It still says I have a low score on the video portion but it works as fast as windows xp Sp3 or vista ever did. I haven't updated to any service packs yet or have gotten all my updates. I was wondering if anyone knew what the update was that I read in a different forum not to let upload on an inspiron 6000 for windows 7. I can't seem to find out what it was or why. Another question I have is, If my laptop is running good, how important is it to go through all of them steps above to update the bios? Just wondering, again, I am no pro. I updated my hard drive from the 40gb 5400rpm Seagate to 160gb 7200rpm Samsung and my laptop seems to be WAYYY quieter and runs wayyy cooler. This suprised me greatly but thanks for that advice to switch to a bigger hard drive before I made the W7 change. Whenever I run the program I have driver genious it says I need certain drivers but never changed the ones I found here on dell's website. Kind of a headsup to anyone thinking about buying that program. It didn't work  for my inspiron 6000, inspiron 6400 or my HP Netbook. The last questions I have is it a good idea to turn up my processor? and what are the programs or things I can turn off in my Inspiron 6000 to make W7 run at it's quickest? Thank You.

P.S. I didn't realize how many people were going to take offense at my earlier answers I left. Sorry.

3 Posts

July 18th, 2012 00:00

Oh God get a life. The caps lock may have been activated unintentionally. Do you really have to be so politically correct with regards to capitals being used and anyway who really cares. Only such as yourself who are too bothered about how a question is presented to actually provide a practical solution to the problem. When my Inspiron developed a problem I didn't find all the drivers on the Dell website but but having a look at these forums I was able to  reinstall it to full working order. Maybe some of the advice doesn't help but as the person's computer isn't working anyway any advice would be helpful.  The person with the problem probably is shouting a cry for help inside as their computer is not running properly and your pompous response doesn't help at all! Why don't you just go and channel your P.C. ideas into the workplace where advice like this may be needed but it certainly isn't here. As for your response why bother if you are not going to try to help at all. If you do not know where the drivers are to be found then don't bother replying at all. Oh and by the way. I've replied in area font 12 point. I hope that's an acceptable standard to send a post on this forum. I'm sure you will be able to inform me.

3 Posts

July 18th, 2012 01:00

Oh God get a life. The caps lock may have been activated unintentionally. Do you really have to be so politically correct with regards to capitals being used and anyway who really cares. Only such as yourself who are too bothered about how a question is presented to actually provide a practical solution to the problem. When my Inspiron developed a problem I didn't find all the drivers on the Dell website but but having a look at these forums I was able to  reinstall it to full working order. Maybe some of the advice doesn't help but as the person's computer isn't working anyway any advice would be helpful.  The person with the problem probably is shouting a cry for help inside as their computer is not running properly and your pompous response doesn't help at all! Why don't you just go and channel your P.C. ideas into the workplace where advice like this may be needed but it certainly isn't here. As for your response why bother if you are not going to try to help at all. If you do not know where the drivers are to be found then don't bother replying at all. Oh and by the way. I've replied in Arial font 12 point. I hope that's an acceptable standard to send a post on this forum. I'm sure you will be able to inform me.

40 Posts

July 18th, 2012 18:00

I know right, he literraly went to a moderator and had one of my comments deleted because where I told someone tio get some software was on a "pirated" website. I thought we were all supposed to be helping each other on here, not yelling about propper typing and bitching at people for  "THEIR" responses. LOL

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 18th, 2012 23:00

Sorry I never got an email about your earlier reply. The BIOs update isn't so important provided your system is running well. You can update it, I am not sure what revision you are on and all the enhancements all the subsequent revisions have. You will need to read through the fixes in each revision subsequent to your current one. I probably would just update it but of course be careful. Software like driver genius is always a waste of time and money. The best software for that is "windows update" and even that isn't perfect. The information you are asking about the CPU i.e. overclocking is generally a bad idea to perform in a laptop because it makes the components generate more heat than normal and a laptop doesn't have a large case and strong cooling fans that a desktop does - thus can long term ruin the performance of the laptop. P.S. with regards to piracy, Microsoft and Dell are partners so its similar to saying you stole your Dell and now want help, especially as you also asked for the information on the Dell BIOs password. The whole point in the BIOs password being set is so someone cannot use the Dell hardware if they stole it. Which is why you generally need to contact Dell to have it removed. In addition people using pirated software can have later issues especially if it is infested with Malware so even recommending it to other users is a bad idea. Any posts which promote such doing will be moderated and I have been granted moderation capabilities.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 19th, 2012 00:00

AS WITH REGARDS TO TYPING IN ALL CAPS, WOULD YOU PREFER WE TYPED EVERYTHING IN ALL CAPS ALSO?

OR WOULD YOU PREFER WE DONE THIS?

OR LIKE THIS SO IT IS JUST MUCH HARDER TO READ?.

That was just a demonstration in how annoying it can get. We generally skim read through the posts before answering them and can do so much easier/faster with black standard type than caplocks.

Overlarge font can be harder to read also, especially as I answered the last post on my Windows 7 phone and it would just make it much more awkward to read.

We also try to avoid text type as many people reading the forums will have English as a second language and it may cause confusion for them. Also if I was to Scottish text type then I think most users on the forum wouldn't understand much.

An additional thing is colour, the yellow colour above is to the extreme, the colour below is even worse.

However I have posted some writing in this green colour and some people have said they have had difficulty to read it and requested I amend it.

Personally I didn't bother so much with regards to your solid caplocks message but I understand the reason why it annoys people. I am sure that some people simply wouldn't read your post if typed in that manner.

2 Posts

January 11th, 2014 15:00

Cant believe there are so many out there with such violent behaviors posting

I am running windows 7 in My dell 6000 if it is bios password protected upgrade the bios

No Events found!