Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2011 11:00

DELL Support Center Hardware Scan runs daily on my XPS L701X since a few days

Hi all,

I configured the hardware scan to run once a month, but since a few days this seems to be ignored. Scan is scheduled on a daily basis. Can someone please assist in eliminating this behaviour?

Any help appreciated ...

4 Posts

June 12th, 2012 08:00

It has been 3 days now and Dell Support Center Hardware scan has NOT run.   So it appears that the problem of hardware scan repeating on daily basis (sometimes multiple times in single day) is resolved.  Here is details of what I did.

1.  First I downloaded latest Dell Support Center, which is file DELL_SUPPORT-CENTER-3-0_A01_R289543.exe
  2.  Next I uninstalled the current version Dell Support Center.  I made sure that if there were mulitple versions were installed that all of them were uninstalled.
  3.  I deleted "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center" from my hard drive.
  4. I deleted   C:\ProgramData\PCDr from my hard drive.  This directory contained all the residual log files from PC Doctor. I wanted to remove all history of PC doctor to ensure nothing in the history was causing the problem.
  5. I then deleted all Dell Support Center and PC Doctor windows registry entries left behind my the uninstall.  See end of this reply for details.
  6. I then used the file in step 1 to reinstall the latest version of Dell Support Center.
  7.  I did an initial hardware scan using the new installed Dell Support Center and since then, I have not seen any automatic hardware scan.  It is scheduled to run in 1 month.  We will see if after the first automatic scheduled hardware scan occurs in a month whether the problem remains resolved.

Here is details of deletion of windows registry entry.  This requires the use of regedit.exe, which you may not be familiar with.  I am not prepared to teach you how to use it, but I will warn you it is for the advanced user and mis-use of it can easily cause the windows registry to become corrupted.   If corrupted badly enough, your system  will not even boot successfully.  So beware if you are a novice user.

Before you delete the following entires from registry, first save these registry entries and/or make a backup of entire windows registry so that you can restore registry if you run into trouble.  regedit does allow you to save entries and/or backup entire registry.   Here are all the entries I removed from the registry AFTER uninstalling dell support center. and before reinstalling the new version of it.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dell\datasafe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dell\MUP]

"BroadcomWLAN"="A00"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dell\Proxy]

"Eula"="True"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dell\SupportSoftware]

"Updates"="True"

"UsageData"="True"

"UpdateStart"="0"

"DSL"="DSUpdate"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor\InstallInfo]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor\InstallInfo\3.1.5830.17]

"AppPath"="C:\\Program Files\\Dell Support Center\\pcdrcui.exe"

"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Dell Support Center\\installinfo.xml"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor\PC-Doctor for Windows]

"stage_search_url"="search.dell.com/results.aspx

"stage_drivers_and_downloads"="support.dell.com/.../driverslist.aspx

"{98ADEF2B-2E85-4d7e-A52E-C6969560D2CA}"=dword:00000001

"trackUninstall"="false"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor\PC-Doctor for Windows\Certs]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor\PC-Doctor for Windows\Certs\{0090A87C-3E0E-43D4-AA71-A71B06563A4A}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor\PC-Doctor for Windows\IMS]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor\PC-Doctor for Windows\IMS\Hover]

"title"="Dell Support Center"

"action"="Click to solve."

"timestamp"="4/18/2012 9:21:17 AM"

"critical"=dword:00000001

"msg"=hex(7):55,00,70,00,64,00,61,00,74,00,65,00,20,00,41,00,76,00,61,00,69,00,\

6c,00,61,00,62,00,6c,00,65,00,00,00,00,00

"date"="(4/18/2012)"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor\PC-Doctor for Windows\IMS\State]

"isScanning"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor\PC-Doctor for Windows\IMS\Strings]

"scanning"="Dell Support Center is scanning your system for problems."

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor\PC-Doctor for Windows\IMS\Tooltip]

"app_counter"=dword:0000001e

"title"="Update Available"

"action"="Click to start the download."

"timestamp"="4/18/2012 9:21:17 AM"

"critical"=dword:00000001

"timeout"=dword:00000000

"show_icon"=dword:00000000

"exit_on_pop"=dword:00000000

"play_sound"=dword:00000001

"close"=dword:00000000

"extraargs"=""

"icon"="Images\\circle_red_x.png"

"style"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor\ReferencedCerts]

"C:\\Program Files\\Dell Support Center\\pcdcert.cer"=hex:e4,d9,fb,20,33,ff,f4,\

8f,db,af,90,8e,dc,be,e2,49

"Ref: 49 e2 be dc 8e 90 af db 8f f4 ff 33 20 fb d9 e4"=hex:01

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor\Updates]

"user_allows_automatic_application_updates"="true"

4 Posts

August 11th, 2012 12:00

Still no problems after a couple of months.  So I believe what I described did in fact resolve the problem of hardware scan running daily.

4 Posts

October 10th, 2011 13:00

why does dell not answer this? I also want to know...

4 Posts

October 10th, 2011 14:00

no answer in 6 months? dell doesnt visit here ... a morobund useless forum

I would like to control "remote hardware scan" but its name/compamy are disguised in startup

- a reason NOT to use DELL

lets see if dell remove this! my guess is they never visit...

4 Posts

June 9th, 2012 08:00

I have the same problem.  Did you ever get a resolution to this problem?  I am thinking of using regedit and searching for Dell Support Center thinking it might be some registry setting.  Or perhaps some kind of configuration file that can be modified.

June 9th, 2012 14:00

No, never. To be honest, I'm tired of useless forums like this one.

4 Posts

June 9th, 2012 14:00

I uninstalled Dell Support Center and then I used regedit to get rid of some registry entries related to Dell Support Center and PC Doctor.  I also cleaned up some directories on hard drive related to PD doctor (it had a lot of history snapshots and log files left behind).  I then reinstalled Dell Support Center.  So far looks okay, but it really is too early to tell if the problem is resolved.  Will repost in a couple of days.

1 Message

June 11th, 2012 12:00

Please help me out. I am a disabiled person and my lap top is running slower than it did before.

Please Help'

Michael K.  Morris 

No Events found!